Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 09:56 PM

45 posts, read 173,384 times

Advertisements

This past April my husband and I purchased a house with a Mello Roos that was kept from us,after we stated many times against a house with a Mello Roos, finding about the Mello Roos after we closed escrow, my agent knew about it and kept it from us.

I was contacted a few months ago by an attorney for both the real estate agency and the insurance, he took all the evidence I had and did his own investigating and recomended that they pay the Mello Roos off, every cent.

I can say with happiness that our home no longer has a Mello Roos!!!

Goes to show if people would just stand up for their rights instead of believing they have no choice but to "eat it", This world is full of wrongs that don't have to be if everyone would just fight, yes, it can be hard, but the rewards are well worth the it!!

I hope people read my story and realize that if they are screwed over by their agent,they don't have to take it, I have found out that many people are finding out after they close escrow that their house has a Mello Roos.

Like I said in my last post, it is illegal what was done to us and it is illegal what is happing to others, when you go with an agent it is his\hers responsibility to find out about Mello Roos and other issues with a house, that's why real estate agents must have a license, they are dealing with people's lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2009, 11:01 PM

1,156 posts, read 3,783,040 times
Who was the realtor you used so that we won't get stuck with them?

Old 09-12-2009, 11:13 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,897,594 times
Mello Roos......one more reason not to live in California!

Old 09-13-2009, 12:04 PM

1,465 posts, read 5,148,492 times
Mello Roos is an excellent regulation. Excellent!! Its purpose is to not have the existing community pay for infrastructure improvements to support the new community. The new community is to pay for it. To me, this makes sense.

Whether the developer rolls it into the cost of the house or keeps it as a separate bond is the developer's decision. When someone says a new development does not have Mello Roos, what they really mean is it was rolled into the price of the house. All developments have to pay for the immediate surrounding infrastructure.

When shopping for homes, it is just another factor one uses to evaluate the worth of the home.

Perhaps the bill should have required it to be rolled into the cost of the house. That would have caused less confusion.

To the Original Poster, congratulations on getting this resolved favorably. I believe you were deceived and I am glad it worked out.

Old 09-21-2009, 07:13 AM

I will let you know who the real estate agent is once I get the last of the paper work.

Old 11-12-2009, 11:57 PM

Many people who are purchasing homes right now are being lied to about the Mello Roos, I know for a fact that the builders and agents are telling people that the taxes are just higher in San Bernardino, not true! This Mello Roos is just another excuse to get more money out of people, people already are having trouble paying their mortages without having BS Mello Roos added on top of that.

Old 11-13-2009, 08:56 AM

10,965 posts, read 21,993,410 times
Educate me. What is a Mello Roos?

Old 11-13-2009, 09:09 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,317,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
Educate me. What is a Mello Roos?
It's legislation named after it's 2 authors which basically imposes a tax on a development to pay for infrastructure (roads, sidewalks, utilities). It's a little bit like a small bond issue which the residents affected pay for.

Old 11-13-2009, 09:13 AM

15,580 posts, read 40,450,935 times
Brandon Mello Roos is a tax that is added to a house in a new community to pay for the bonds for new infrastructure (roads, parks, police, schools, etc).

Some builders increase the price of the house to pay the bond off. Some have Mello Roos tax which pays the bond off over time...I think that is how it works anyway.

Old 11-13-2009, 09:36 AM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,755,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina 76 View Post
I know for a fact that the builders and agents are telling people that the taxes are just higher in San Bernardino, not true! This Mello Roos is just another excuse to get more money out of people, people already are having trouble paying their mortages without having BS Mello Roos added on top of that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
It's legislation named after it's 2 authors which basically imposes a tax on a development to pay for infrastructure (roads, sidewalks, utilities). It's a little bit like a small bond issue which the residents affected pay for.
Christina: Why is it BS to have to pay for the roads and utilities that support your house? I understand why you are upset about this deal in general, since you were told it didn't have one. But why, in general, is it such a bad thing? And why is it a lie to say its just higher taxes? How is this different than when the county wanted to run water lines to my neighborhood, and they were going to charge us $300 extra per year until it was paid off? (our neighborhood said thanks, but no thanks). Isn't it just a tax by a different name, and a tax that specifically pays for the services your neighborhood needed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate