Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 07:20 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,993,273 times

Advertisements

You haven't done some of the usual tasks that should be done before you sell, so that is good...you can easily make some inexpensive changes that might help.
Get rid of the swing in front of the house. It is ugly. If it were me, I'd replace the shutters with shutters that are the correct size and are mounted correctly. As others have said, add some color with some plants.
Inside, get rid of the magnets on the fridge and all the clutter on the counters and windowsill in the kitchen.
Get rid of the family pictures and knick knacks everywhere. I'd lose the cheap mirror over the sofa, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 07:23 AM

1,340 posts, read 3,698,387 times
Lower your price. You already stated you are $25k over other comparables in your area. Match them now. So when someone comes through they think WOW this house is 600sqft bigger and the SAME price. NO BRAINER and they pick your house. It is tough for people to justified $25k more now for maybe an extra 30sqft per room or an extra living room (which they may not even WANT)

Old 04-06-2009, 10:05 AM

270 posts, read 968,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatasNJ View Post
Lower your price. You already stated you are $25k over other comparables in your area. Match them now. So when someone comes through they think WOW this house is 600sqft bigger and the SAME price. NO BRAINER and they pick your house. It is tough for people to justified $25k more now for maybe an extra 30sqft per room or an extra living room (which they may not even WANT)
I second what NatasNJ says.

Lower your price.

You can't get an offer without showings.

I am in the market to buy right now and what I do is look at a subdivison as a whole, look at the lowest listed properties in that subdivision and go and look at those properties only. Simple as that. I won't even take the time to look at a higher priced property in the same neighborhood 2 minutes down the street.

Old 04-06-2009, 10:19 AM

3,320 posts, read 5,596,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srnyong View Post
I second what NatasNJ says.

Lower your price.

You can't get an offer without showings.

I am in the market to buy right now and what I do is look at a subdivison as a whole, look at the lowest listed properties in that subdivision and go and look at those properties only. Simple as that. I won't even take the time to look at a higher priced property in the same neighborhood 2 minutes down the street.
In my own experience the lowest priced properties in several subdivisions were the not the ones I wanted to buy, they were the plainest, ugliest ones with least resale value.

Old 04-06-2009, 10:37 AM

205 posts, read 824,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold*dust1 View Post
In my own experience the lowest priced properties in several subdivisions were the not the ones I wanted to buy, they were the plainest, ugliest ones with least resale value.
That's not always the case. As a buyer, I will shop the lower priced properties in a development because I might come across that one property that is the right combination of condition and price. The lower priced properties have less value to lose and are therefore more appealing to me. Price is what gets me in the door, unless I see obvious warning signs in the listing. I literally raced out to visit a townhouse that undercut the others in the neighborhood by $50k and was surprised it was in good condition. 2 hours later I was signing offer papers. If you price aggressively, people like me will be at your doorstep immediately.

Old 04-06-2009, 11:06 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,874,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold*dust1 View Post
If this is the case, the OP should lower the price by $40,000.

Old 04-06-2009, 11:12 AM

3,320 posts, read 5,596,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDragon View Post
That's not always the case. As a buyer, I will shop the lower priced properties in a development because I might come across that one property that is the right combination of condition and price. The lower priced properties have less value to lose and are therefore more appealing to me. Price is what gets me in the door, unless I see obvious warning signs in the listing. I literally raced out to visit a townhouse that undercut the others in the neighborhood by $50k and was surprised it was in good condition. 2 hours later I was signing offer papers. If you price aggressively, people like me will be at your doorstep immediately.
No it's not always the case but often times was in my experience. There were very few homes I found in my price point (taking into consideration the down market ) that wowed me. I could not buy on price alone. I have to like where I live.

Old 04-06-2009, 11:25 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,071,214 times
I guess I need to update the pictures. The magnets are gone off the fridge and the counters are cleared off. I do still have my family photos up and yes I've heard some say to take them down, others not a big deal. I will pick up the rug in the living room. I can take the headboard out of the master room. I can aslo take down the animal pictures in my room and put up so more neutral pictures. I will try some curb appeal. I mentioned to my dh that we could use some flowers and some pots. We did put a palm tree in the middle of the yard, but we could use color. We can't put shutters on the window by the door b/c they wouldn't fit. I could get the swing out and replace it with chairs. All of the ideas are very helpful and I do appreciate them. I feel like I'm on HGTV, Sell This House. Keep the ideas coming. I will try these things before adjusting my price. Do you think the pictures maybe turning ppl off? I will update them as I get things changed.

Old 04-06-2009, 11:28 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,071,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
Are you a FSBO, listed with a low service company, or listed with a full service company?
Low service. I'm not working now, so I can pretty much show or set up showings myself.

Old 04-06-2009, 11:31 AM

4,344 posts, read 5,798,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
I guess I need to update the pictures. The magnets are gone off the fridge and the counters are cleared off. I do still have my family photos up and yes I've heard some say to take them down, others not a big deal. I will pick up the rug in the living room. I can take the headboard out of the master room. I can aslo take down the animal pictures in my room and put up so more neutral pictures. I will try some curb appeal. I mentioned to my dh that we could use some flowers and some pots. We did put a palm tree in the middle of the yard, but we could use color. We can't put shutters on the window by the door b/c they wouldn't fit. I could get the swing out and replace it with chairs. All of the ideas are very helpful and I do appreciate them. I feel like I'm on HGTV, Sell This House. Keep the ideas coming. I will try these things before adjusting my price. Do you think the pictures maybe turning ppl off? I will update them as I get things changed.
Cant wait to see your updated photos!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate