Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2009, 05:43 PM

76 posts, read 245,501 times

Advertisements

Hi Becky,

Since the mods removed my link to Trulia, I'll walk you through the steps:
  1. Go to Trulia.com
  2. Under the big Search button, click Advanced search.
  3. In the City field, enter "Lake Mary, FL" and select City boundary.
  4. Under the Listing Type section, select All homes old in the past 9 months.
  5. Click Search.
  6. Trulia displays all homes recently sold in the past nine months within your area. In the Refine search area, enter the following: Recently sold homes; 3+ bedrooms; 2+ bathrooms; min 1500 square feet; max 1750 square feet. Click Update.
  7. Trulia displays the refined results. In the Sort by dropdown, select newest. This displays your most recent comps.
Throw out the high and low square footage numbers. Those are anomalies and should not be counted as comps. When you average the numbers, you get around $105 a square foot for a home your size. So, if your home were to sell today, you can expect to fetch around $165,000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 05:43 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,596,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsFancyPants View Post
Wow. Just wow. Was it really necessary to respond to her like that? She has been SO nice and so accepting of the feedback and so eager to do everything suggested, she really didn't deserve your "tough love."

JMO.

I just don't understand why people feel it necessary to be mean, condescending, and/or sarcastic when dealing with complete strangers. You would NEVER act this way to a person face to face. EVER. It's rude.
Actually Fancy, I've come across plenty of people in real life face to face situations that can be brutally *rude*, including me if provoked

Old 04-08-2009, 06:22 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,071,214 times
I've heard mixed things about Trulia. I understand sometimes it's close, but other times it is way off. I just couldn't justify selling my home for $165K, when first of all, I've already had 2 offers over $200K and the others that have sold recently in my neighborhood around $200K. I'm not expecting to get full price. I know that I have to leave room for negotiating too.

Old 04-08-2009, 06:24 PM

OK, sorry, the curiosity is killing me. Becky, including you, there are three homes on your street listed on the MLS. None are short sales or foreclosures.
  1. $159,000. 3/2 1420 square feet, built in 1981. Although your home is newer, interior pictures of this home seem to indicate that it is nicely finished. It has been listed for 65 days, and the seller is dropping the price periodically to keep the price competitive.
  2. $189,000. 3/2 1452 square feet, built in 1980. This is also a nicely kept home, although in comparison with the first home it is overpriced. It has been listed for 85 days with no price drops.
  3. $225,000. 3/2.5 1581 square feet, built in 2004. We've been over the photos in this one, but looking past the clutter and personal affects, it appears to be on par with the other two homes. It has been listed for 177 days, with no price drops.
With that list, which of the above homes do you think is going to sell first?

Old 04-08-2009, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
I've heard mixed things about Trulia. I understand sometimes it's close, but other times it is way off. I just couldn't justify selling my home for $165K, when first of all, I've already had 2 offers over $200K and the others that have sold recently in my neighborhood around $200K. I'm not expecting to get full price. I know that I have to leave room for negotiating too.
The numbers Trulia is providing aren't estimates. Those are the actual sale prices of homes local to you, as recorded by the county clerk.

Also, the only home in your neighborhood that sold recently appears to be half a block down the road from you, and it sold 3 months ago for $80,000. It was built in 1979 and is 1700 square feet. Like it or not, that is your most accurate comp for your neighborhood.

Old 04-08-2009, 06:31 PM

23,867 posts, read 33,568,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronS View Post
Beckycat's house has been on the market for 4 months. Similar homes to hers are selling for 30% less than her asking price. No amount of staging is going to sell her home for the price she is asking. Numbers don't lie.
She needs to get people in the door. Buyers look at photos. If the house is not inviting they will not give it another look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDragon View Post
There's nothing mean, condescending, and/or sarcastic about pricing data. Assuming that the house is listed at $225k and offers have been at least $200k, that's at least 88% of the asking price, which is a great offer in today's market given that most sales are 89% to 92% of asking price. Sure, some de-cluttering would help, but price is paramount in much of today's market. I'd also be curious to know how many times the median household income this property is too since that could also be a major problem.
The problem is that the current decor of the house does not match the price if you understand what I'm saying. Someone looking at a more expensive house is probably going to have different furnishings, and seeing what she has, while I'm sure it looks better in person (my son had that exact same comforter)It is by adding pillows and window coverings that make the room different, more inviting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDragon View Post
I should also note that properties that have been on the market for 8+ months or have been re-listed also get no attention from me because I think the seller is hiding something or there's a major problem somewhere.
You'll change your tune when you go to sell and the market is dead and you're on for a year. Most markets are at least 6 months DOM if not more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
When I first read Aarons post, it was kind of harsh to me. I can understand what MsFancyPants is saying. Then, I said to myself, I'm just going to take this as constructive criticism. I let it go and gave my honest opinion back. I think there is a right way to say things so you don't come off so strong. I think though for some, that's just their personality. I try to say things in a nice way not to hurt anybody's feelings. I do realize price is important, but I really think that Aaron is way off by saying my house is ovepriced by $65K. The guy across the street just paid $200K for his house and another house on the next street over recently sold for $197K, so I know I'm not off by that much. Where do you you get that the homes are selling for 30% less? The only ones that I see are short sales or foreclosures. In this area, as I mentioned before, you have to be careful where you buy. The reason being is b/c you can have a really nice house and be in a less desirable area. The schools are zoned for certain areas and just b/c you live in Lake Mary, you may still be zoned for Sanford schools. The bottom line here is: 1) I'm working on staging my home better. 2) I'm going to get better pictures. 3) I will take it from there.
Once again, I appreciate the suggestions.
You're a class act, and never once did I give you credit for taking my posts for anything but an honest opinion.. Usually I don't just jump into posts like I did this one, I try to say nice things then offer an opinion; but I'm not having a good day and couldn't sit more then what I did to read and then look at Penneys.

You came here because you want to sell your house and you want an honest opinion from someone that doesn't know you and from people that might be able to see it from buyers eyes. I try not to be harsh as I don't feel it gets me anywhere; and I've had harsh comments about my house because the person didn't like colors I used (sage, lighter blues, pinks)

Looking at your house as a buyer, the garage is in your face. Now, I realize that it is common in some areas; where I am from, it is not. IMO, doing something with the white trim, say a darker version of color as your door would look nice. If you look at the house price $239,9 on Horseshoe, see how their garage blends? You might even think to paint the shutters the same color, a darker taupe. While you're at realtor.com looking at that house, look at your competitions pictures. How do your pictures/decor compare?

Your house has potential. One thing I wonder is the floor plan. Is it a good floor plan? If so, why not include it with your ads. One of the agents here uses a floor plan site that's impressive, you can click a camera in any room and it pulls up a pic. Don't know if it's only for agents or how expensive it is. I may be able to get you a link, I'm pretty sure I saved it.

Another thing I thought of, how about changing the white door in the kitchen? The reason is because your appliances are black, the white door makes the black fridge pop out in the picture. If you are thinking of doing the counter, Wilsonart Laminate has one called Terra Roca. It also has specs of green which the sample doesn't show. From what I see of your kitchen, the color might look nice. You can probably get a sample at Depot.

I wish I could comment on your price but I don't know your area. I know people low ball and are going to offer what they want. I used to look $50k higher then I wanted to spend, then would watch the house for price changes. If it came down I got a quick email and was able to decide if I really wanted to walk it. This is where better pics come in.

btw, you have too many pics on realtor.com. People will not need to walk your house because they've seen it all online.

Do you have a flier for your house? I have a decent template if you need one.

Last edited by Roselvr; 04-08-2009 at 06:53 PM..

Old 04-08-2009, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
She needs to get people in the door. Buyers look at photos. If the house is not inviting they will not give it another look.

The problem is that the current decor of the house does not match the price if you understand what I'm saying. Someone looking at a more expensive house is probably going to have different furnishings, and seeing what she has, while I'm sure it looks better in person (my son had that exact same comforter)It is by adding pillows and window coverings that make the room different, more inviting.

You'll change your tune when you go to sell and the market is dead and you're on for a year. Most markets are at least 6 months DOM if not more.

You're a class act, and never once did I give you credit for taking my posts for anything but an honest opinion.. Usually I don't just jump into posts like I did this one, I try to say nice things then offer an opinion; but I'm not having a good day and couldn't sit more then what I did to read and then look at Penneys.

You came here because you want to sell your house and you want an honest opinion from someone that doesn't know you and from people that might be able to see it from buyers eyes. I try not to be harsh as I don't feel it gets me anywhere; and I've had harsh comments about my house because the person didn't like colors I used (sage, lighter blues, pinks)

Looking at your house as a buyer, the garage is in your face. Now, I realize that it is common in some areas; where I am from, it is not. IMO, doing something with the white trim, say a darker version of color as your door would look nice. If you look at the house price $239,9 on Horseshoe, see how their garage blends? You might even think to paint the shutters the same color, a darker taupe. While you're at realtor.com looking at that house, look at your competitions pictures.

Your house has potential. One thing I wonder is the floor plan. Is it a good floor plan? If so, why not include it with your ads. One of the agents here uses a floor plan site that's impressive, you can click a camera in any room and it pulls up a pic. Don't know if it's only for agents or how expensive it is. I may be able to get you a link, I'm pretty sure I saved it.

Another thing I thought of, how about changing the white door in the kitchen? The reason is because your appliances are black, the white door makes the black fridge pop out in the picture. If you are thinking of doing the counter, Wilsonart Laminate has one called Terra Roca. It also has specs of green which the sample doesn't show. From what I see of your kitchen, the color might look nice. You can probably get a sample at Depot.

I wish I could comment on your price but I don't know your area. I know people low ball and are going to offer what they want. I used to look $50k higher then I wanted to spend, then would watch the house for price changes. If it came down I got a quick email and was able to decide if I really wanted to walk it. This is where better pics come in.

btw, you have too many pics on realtor.com. People will not need to walk your house because they've seen it all online.

Do you have a flier for your house? I have a decent template if you need one.
I do have a flyer, but if you want to send me the template, it would be great!

Old 04-08-2009, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronS View Post
The numbers Trulia is providing aren't estimates. Those are the actual sale prices of homes local to you, as recorded by the county clerk.

Also, the only home in your neighborhood that sold recently appears to be half a block down the road from you, and it sold 3 months ago for $80,000. It was built in 1979 and is 1700 square feet. Like it or not, that is your most accurate comp for your neighborhood.
Apparently, it must not be up to date then. That one that sold down the street was a foreclosure that needed major renovations. It was in poor condition.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:45 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatasNJ View Post
Lower your price. You already stated you are $25k over other comparables in your area. Match them now. So when someone comes through they think WOW this house is 600sqft bigger and the SAME price. NO BRAINER and they pick your house. It is tough for people to justified $25k more now for maybe an extra 30sqft per room or an extra living room (which they may not even WANT)
yes, yes and yes!!!

Ding, ding, ding, ding...we have a winner

Old 04-08-2009, 09:01 PM

205 posts, read 824,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsFancyPants View Post
Two people read the same post and get two different perspectives, I guess. I read it very mean-spirited. Granted, he did take a lot of time to research it, which I didn't really understand to begin with. I guess it was his accusation that he wasn't getting the whole story, kind of read to me like he did it to prove her wrong, which he then subsequently did in what I read as a very condescending manner.
[. . .]
Did you guys just intentionally gloss over the fact that she's been in escrow already at over 200k? And that she had another offer over 200k?
Admittedly, I just read the most recent couple of posts before I made my comment. I saw what looked to be pricing and location information and explained what I would be thinking about the property. I have no idea if something mean spirited was going on a couple pages back.

If the seller's house was in my search area and priced at $225 I'd be out to visit it the very next day it was listed. Most houses like that go for $320+ here. Am I advocating a substantial price drop? No, but I do think those offers above $200k were fair in the seller's particular market/region unless the buyers were hard to work with. In my market/region, nothing less than asking at that price would be acceptable in my opinion since things are so different.

Quote:
This is extremely important in today's market. As a buyer, I've been in some terrible places and some wonderful places. If photos are missing then I regard the condition of the property as a total crapshoot. Some people are deliberately hiding things and others are just lazy. Photos definitely help. The best photos are those that let the buyer get a feeling for the floorplan. At least, that's how I feel.

Quote:
I only made that comment because a lot of places on the market where I was looking that have been on the market for that much time have some major problem that isn't immediately visible. That's just been my experience. If people are avoiding something, then there's a reason. If I was in the selling position, I'd only do so if I really wanted out. I tend to over-analyze things so it would drive me mad to have a property on the market for that much time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate