Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 10:54 AM

119 posts, read 260,924 times

Advertisements

Will you buy a house which is the biggest and most expensive one in the subdivision? I heard usually it is more deficult to sale or has less appreciation potential. Is this correct? What do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2007, 11:06 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,036,436 times
For me personally, I would have to really look at the neighborhood. Is it my dream house, and do I believe I will be there for 20 years? Or, is it more of a transitional home where moving in 5 years is probably more reasonable?

If the house is one that I know I will be in for the long haul, I don't think I would worry as much. If I know I am going to try and sell in 5 years, I would think about it. If it is the most expensive home in the neighborhood, it probably will not appreciate as much simply because people moving into that neighborhood are looking for a certain price point, and homes that fit that median price will do better.

Everyone always wants the least expensive house in the most expensive neighborhood.............

I think it really depends on what you are looking for though.

Leigh

Old 10-09-2007, 11:28 AM

310 posts, read 1,715,574 times
I did that once, and I will never do it again. My current house is the most expensive house in the subdivision, and I cannot find a buyer. I was told by the appraiser that it worth much more, but it is very hard to sell.

Old 10-09-2007, 11:46 AM

1,040 posts, read 3,602,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighbhe View Post
For me personally, I would have to really look at the neighborhood. Is it my dream house, and do I believe I will be there for 20 years? Or, is it more of a transitional home where moving in 5 years is probably more reasonable?

If the house is one that I know I will be in for the long haul, I don't think I would worry as much. If I know I am going to try and sell in 5 years, I would think about it. If it is the most expensive home in the neighborhood, it probably will not appreciate as much simply because people moving into that neighborhood are looking for a certain price point, and homes that fit that median price will do better.

Everyone always wants the least expensive house in the most expensive neighborhood.............

I think it really depends on what you are looking for though.

Leigh
I would agree with Leigh. If I knew I was going to be there for 20+ years, then I would not mind. Depending on the subdivision and the house itself.

As for me, I bought the least expensive house on an expensive street and the house is still pretty close to our 'dream home'.

Price per square foot is always a good thing to look at. Is this house that much bigger than the other homes in the subdivision, or is it the same size home with a ton of upgrades?

Old 10-09-2007, 11:49 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,758,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tianwaifeixian View Post
Will you buy a house which is the biggest and most expensive one in the subdivision? I heard usually it is more deficult to sale or has less appreciation potential. Is this correct? What do you guys think?
There is a house for sale in our neighborhood that meets the biggest most expensive standard. The guy is a contractor and added EVERY possible upgrade, finished his walk out basement, the whole nine yards. He thought his family would be there 20 years. Well, they are getting divorced so they have to sell. Their house is listed for about 150K more than the other 4 resale homes that sold in our neighborhood in the last 6 months, including the one we bought. This 150K is like 45% to 50% more than what the other 4 homes were sold for. That is subtantial. There has not been very much interest in the home. I think buyers in that price range either want a lot bigger than 1/3 ac. or more neighborhood amenities.

If your house is most expensive by 10% you are probably safe. Or if you are paying cash for your house then I wouldn't care about the percentage. But 25-30% more expensive and carrying a loan would make me nervous. But I'm fiscally conservative w/ my money.

Good luck figuring out what is right for you.

Old 10-09-2007, 11:55 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,748,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tianwaifeixian View Post
I would only do this if I planned to live there for a VERY long time - like 20+ years or maybe even until I died. If you think you may have to sell in a few years, this would be a risky investment.

Old 10-09-2007, 12:27 PM

1,484 posts, read 4,156,750 times
Default how much

I guess it matters how much higher the house is than others. Anything over say 75k is too much for me.

Old 10-09-2007, 12:49 PM

1,886 posts, read 4,816,657 times
In a subdivision of "like" homes I would look to be in the middle.

In a larger masterplanned community with a wider range of home sizes and prices (Think Bedford at Falls River, Cary Park, Amberly) I would not have a problem buying at the upper end but I'd try to stay away from the top of any segment within the neighborhood (for instance, you are safe buying in the more expensive sections of Amberly, but I wouldn't want to be the bigest house in Village Square OR The Peninsula).

If you are building and have a choice of lots I would make selecting a favorable lot my biggest priority. When it comes time to sell if there are 3 houses with the same basic floorplan on the market the one with the nicest lot will sell fastest and for more money as long as the upgrades are on a par with the neighborhood.

Location...............

Old 10-09-2007, 01:06 PM

351 posts, read 1,194,782 times
Funny....I've been thinking about this a lot today. I really like a house that is currently priced about 30K more than comparables in the neighborhood. It also has a really gorgeous renovated kitchen that the comparables don't have that probably cost the homeowners about 40-50K to put in. Is the higher price justified or have they priced themselves out of their own neighborhood? It would be the most expensive house on the block right now but would the others catch up as more people start renovating their kitchens?

Old 10-09-2007, 02:11 PM

43,309 posts, read 77,142,685 times
There are so many factors at play here.

1. There will always be a "most expensive house." Someone will own it and live in it. It will fit someone's needs. If that is me, then, Yes, I would buy it.

2. The "most expensive house" may be a good buy at $30,000 more than any other home in the neighborhood.
If the homes are all luxury homes and range in price from $1,700,000 to $2,500,000, I wouldn't consider it at all material.
If the homes are all custom built and range in price from $700,000 to $800,000, I wouldn't consider it very material.
If the homes are cookie cutter, running from $125,000-$150,000, I would definitely not want to be $30,000 higher.
You have to quantify what it means to be the "most expensive house."

3. If you pay the same $$$/square foot as other cookie cutter homes and pay $30,000 more because it is 1500 SF larger, I think that is a mistake. Smaller homes fetch a higher SF price, and larger homes a lower SF yield in the same subdivision. Usually.
So you pay less/SF, and sell for less/SF, and expect good appreciation. Now of course this is resale. Options are limited in new construction.

4. I would expect appreciation in line with the neighborhood. If the average home appreciates at 4%, I would expect 4% for a well-kept home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate