Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 02:20 PM

353 posts, read 802,650 times

Advertisements

MAM, good question. Here's the area where my friend lives: Dupont Circle. I don't know the closed sale data compared to 2005 pricing, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 02:35 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltzman143 View Post
MAM, good question. Here's the area where my friend lives: Dupont Circle. I don't know the closed sale data compared to 2005 pricing, etc.
I'll invite a local expert to opine.

Old 05-07-2009, 02:46 PM

280 posts, read 1,042,100 times
I am in the DC area.
I agree a lot of things are going really fast, and with multiple bids, but also for a lot less than 2005.
So in some ways, neither the buyers nor the sellers are happy in this market.

Dupont is one of the hippest, most sought after, and most expensive areas of DC, and as such I would imagine it's holding its value better than the less desirable neighborhoods, but I think all of the DC area was to some degree hit by the bubble burst, because we were so much a part of the bubble.

That may be part of it too. Almost everything I saw was a distress sale, and banks are probably more likely to try the low list price/multiple bid approach than individual sellers.

Old 05-09-2009, 08:28 AM

394 posts, read 1,049,347 times
I think some markets are VERY local - meaning even if all of Charleston, SC has a good amount of inventory priced within a certain range, some of the best neighborhoods may only have 1 or 2 homes in that range and they get snapped up pretty quickly. We waited quite a while for a home to come up for sale in my current neighborhood so we could move here. My friend bought a house a few streets over that never hit the market, she just knew the friend of a friend of the seller and made an offer before the "for sale" sign could go in the yard. We're fortunate to have no foreclosures or short sales in my neighborhood to pump up the inventory.

It all depends on where you want to be exactly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate