Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 02:50 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times

Advertisements

You should have done the research before you signed the lease, and I wouldn't lease to a drama queen like this one...this is going to be all sob stories and more drama...

If you have a chance to get rid of him and have both of them back out of the contract...that wouldn't be a bad thing...but you need both to agree in writing!

Good Luck...never to old to learn a lesson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 09:04 PM

11,874 posts, read 11,046,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool rob View Post
I did everything, his credit report was good, but his girlfriends was kind of shaky (bankruptcy supposedly caused by divorce), both make good/really good money. I was all for them moving in as a couple, friends, whatever.

He just took me for a loop with the lease in his name only request, that is when I decided to dig a little deeper with my brother to find out what was really going on with his wife.

I guess at the end of the day, I can only be mad at my self for not doing more research on this joker.
Well you did do research and was only 'alerted' when the guy wanted to change the deal on the lease, i.e., his name only etc. Not like it's uncommon for married ppl to lie about what the 'actual situation' is when they have a GF/BF. Not an attorney either, but this is not a situation you want to be involved in. If I read your OP correctly he wants first lease torn up and now only in his name - essentially changing the deal on your original agreement. Now there's the whole wife scenario who doesn't know about GF - most attorneys give free initial consultations and I would strongly suggest you talk to one to see if this type of situation, i.e., most probable confrontations and/or violence, destruction to your property etc. when wife finds out about GF and/or GF gets the boot because of wife. JMO, but when women find out about cheating husbands or cheating husbands dump GF to go back with wife, believe me it will get ugly and your house . . . well, I'd hate to think about the damage that could be caused by all of this. Get yourself a free IC and find a way to get out of this or you're in for a nasty ride my friend.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:43 PM

1,570 posts, read 5,987,379 times
The girlfriend has signed a lease and you are asking if you can tear it up. LOL I'm sorry, but tenants think they can do that - just tear up a contract and forget about it!

Well, I'd try to get out of this whole deal. This is a great deal of drama and they haven't moved in yet. If you haven't executed (signed) the contract give them their money back and get out of this deal!

Drama aside, you know the tenant is not an honest person. Image being in the girlfriends seat - he is trying to go around her on a contract - Can you expect him to be honest with you, as his landlord? I don't think so.

Old 06-04-2009, 12:28 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,397,703 times
No one can void a lease, which is a contract, except the original parties. If you void the lease for him w/out telling the gf you are in error. I would tell him that both of them need to come in to discuss it in person and if they both want "out" you would agree to release them from the terms. Then do so, in writing. (Are they actually in the property yet?)

Take the high road, always. And document document document every conversation w/ a written follow up. And no, an e-mail doesn't count.

Old 06-04-2009, 05:25 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
I had a man and a woman in an expensive car coming to look at my rental a couple of months ago. They both were very well dressed and beaved like business people. I thought it was man and wife since the man had caled me and was talking about him and his wife moving in. At one moment the man was stating that the woman was his assistent and knew what his wife would like. She was making comments and looking at the house as if she was going to live there. It was very awkward and IMO (I have no proof) she was his mistress and they were looking for a love nest...I'm glad I never heard back, maybe my attitude was not what they liked....I don't want to be caught up in a mess coming out from a liason going wrong....

Old 06-04-2009, 08:43 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,934,532 times
Update:

Once again thanks everybody for your advice.

I met with old boy and his girlfriend yesterday afternoon, to explain what had to be done. The whole time this joker is playing innocent, and trying to shift the issue on me, saying things like "see baby, smoochie, honey lips, I told you it wasn't me who said you couldn't be on the lease, blah, blah".

Needless to say I was thoroughly disgusted, not so much by him being a cheater and a liar, but more so by him not having the balls to say to his mistress that while he enjoyed the fun, but getting into a contract with you is not aceptable. I understand (somewhat) lying to his wife, as she could divorce him and take him to the cleaners, but I still don't understand his undying love to the woman on the side? (my brother also told me that why his wife and kids are being set out on the street, he is only giving them $200.00 a month for support (he makes about 70 k a year), while him and this chick are taking vacations, and living the good life)

Anyway, I came prepared with his money in my hand, to give it back to him. I had enough of the charade, and finally told them both, that this might not be a good fit, and maybe they should start looking for another place to live. She then starts with " I already gave my apartment complex a notice to vacate, and what about where we are going to live, my kids will be homeless, blah, blah". The whole time old boy is grinning, thinking that I am playing his silly game (I think the idea was he was supposed to come in and "fix" the deal, and leave the hero). The GF storms off on her cell phone, he then comes up to me and is like "alright now, where do I sign"

I'm saying to myself, dude you can't be serious? I have had the worst of luck this year with tenants, buyers, and everything else in between, but this guy definetly takes the cake!

I have a good working/personal relationship with a real estate attorney, so I am going to pick his brain this weekend on the golf course to see what course of action I now have to take to get a clean break from these jokers

Last edited by cool rob; 06-04-2009 at 08:56 AM..

Old 06-04-2009, 08:54 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,435,411 times
Yes, do have that golf chat.

One more thing. I think you are in MD. If so, "bypass man" can have only his name on the lease and then move his "side piece" in if he wants. But after she's been there 30 days, he can't just kick her out. He has to go through a process to basically evict her. And she should be able to fight that. Ask the attorney about that as well.

Don't let that tool re-sign a lease with you. As for the other woman, who told her to rush in with another man like that and she has two young kids to look after? With her fast self, lol.

Old 06-04-2009, 09:15 AM

2,718 posts, read 5,358,943 times
Did the girlfriend sign off on the cancellation as well as the guy?

Old 06-04-2009, 09:19 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
I rented houses to lots of 'interesting' people. The trouble was hardly ever with 'alternative lifestyles' it was always people with crappy employment history! I mean if you think about, if somebody is into even the kinkiest of lifestyles, but they are dedicated to working hard and fitting it at least enough to get paid, THAT is a pretty solid achievement. I bet that even though the guy was making $70K he is hanging on by a thread -- those trips are such are going to catch up with his finances and the child support will turn his little "love nest" into a hard-to-pay-for nightmare...

Old 06-04-2009, 09:28 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,934,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleasach View Post
Did the girlfriend sign off on the cancellation as well as the guy?
He didn't want to sign anything, and she went in the car, rolled the windows up and appeared to be smoking a pack of cigarettes (or it could have been steam coming from her ears ) and while I had his money in my pocket I didn't want to give that up without anything in writing. Im hoping my buddy who is a attorney can help me write up something "official looking" lol!

As of a few minutes ago, he has called and left me a message stating that he still wants to move in, and can we work it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate