Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 07:53 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,374,960 times

Advertisements

A house in our subdivision just sold in 25 days for more money than the most expensive house sold in here in 2008. Maybe real estate is improving!!!!

(I'm not a realtor.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 08:09 PM

948 posts, read 2,792,420 times
That's good to hear! Although a singular event consumer confidence is a good thing. I get tired of the doom and gloom...

Old 06-17-2009, 12:56 PM

3,020 posts, read 8,616,828 times
We appraisers have a saying:

"one sale does not make a market"

Old 06-17-2009, 01:08 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,251,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETex2 View Post

yeah, you need three sales...

Old 06-17-2009, 03:14 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,374,960 times
Default Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETex2 View Post

Doesn't matter--it still makes people feel better and more confident, and maybe they'll go out and buy a house! Don't be a downer!!!

Old 06-17-2009, 06:25 PM

36 posts, read 72,921 times
Good News is a relative term... I consider it Good News when prices fall to historically affordable levels. Still not quite there yet, but just give it some more time.

Old 06-17-2009, 08:22 PM

948 posts, read 2,792,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsherLevi View Post
Good News is a relative term... I consider it Good News when prices fall to historically affordable levels. Still not quite there yet, but just give it some more time.
Keep wishing for that and you quite possibly will find yourself in a town full of depressed people do to massive economic losses of many. I understand wanting to get an affordable home, but at the expense of others happiness and well being. Ick.

Old 06-17-2009, 10:25 PM

15 posts, read 26,327 times
They Got Lucky...

Old 06-18-2009, 12:41 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,631,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric#1 View Post
Keep wishing for that and you quite possibly will find yourself in a town full of depressed people do to massive economic losses of many. I understand wanting to get an affordable home, but at the expense of others happiness and well being. Ick.
I feel nothing towards people who knowingly stuck their neck out and bought homes they could not really afford by taking on 3-5 years of interest only payments(or worse).

There are relatively few cases of people who legitimately could afford their house and defaulted due to continued unemployment.

In fact, a person in Los Angeles who has a mortgage within acceptable for their income level could pretty easily pay their mortgage with unemployment + renting out a room. A two income family that lost their jobs and holds a reasonable mortgage for their income level should in most cases be able to afford their mortgage payments on unemployment.

For reference, its $450 a week cash for unemployment in California so two wage earners =$3600 a month, or the after tax take of someone who makes about $75K a year.

Old 06-18-2009, 06:39 AM

36 posts, read 72,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric#1 View Post
The housing bubble was not a good thing, whatever the temporary benefits to some. Through absurdly low rates, relaxed lending standards and cutting-edge financial products, yes, more people were put into homes than previously had been. But the idea of "affordability" was actually the chain used to transform homeowners into "debt slaves." With no regard to the fact that the principal would actually have to be paid back (wow, what a concept), people took on more debt than they should have and were not acting in their long-term interest. I honestly think falling house prices, in line with actual (not stated) income, is a very Good Thing. Managing personal finances intelligently and not allowing oneself to be swindled by lenders/banks/the govt. is also a very Good Thing. Don't blame those of us who have managed our finances well for the current situation. Wishing for financial sanity to return to the market is not the same thing as wishing ill-will on others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate