Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 11:21 AM

797 posts, read 3,579,090 times

Advertisements

I posted 4 pictures, and a listing on craigslist back on February 14th (we are in NC). I had an offer 2 days later, on February 16th, for 98.6% of asking price.

The people came over on the 16th that morning, checked around for 10 min or so, and that night gave us a written offer, that was contingent only on getting approved for their mortgage and it appraising. They DID NOT get a home inspection, WOO HOO! We ended up closing in late February.

Just goes to show you that I don't think people should be so quick to get a real estate agent to list their home right off the bat. This was the 2nd home I have sold in the past 3 years. Both times, I did it by myself within a week.

It is so much more rewarding to know I kept that $14,000 in MY pocket instead of going to a realtor for work that they do, which while sometimes very helpful, is nowhere near the 5-6% that is the market standard.

If you are halfway intelligent marketing and describing your house well, an agent is only useful if you house is out in the boonies or has been on the market for >6 months or so. Don't always be so quick to list with agents people! Plus, my home was at the end of the road where no one would have seen a for sale sign.

Craiglist-0% commission, and the best Real Estate Agent in the world!
p.s. I bought this same house on Craiglist, so the guy I bought from had the exact same experience 2 years before!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2009, 12:15 PM

1,817 posts, read 6,857,122 times
I've sold everything from ATV's to property as well as advertised a garage sale on c list. My biggest advice to anyone is to watch for spam and scams. I now have a special email addy just for c list because of the amount of spam. It's a good resource as long as you don't fall for any crap.

Old 07-17-2009, 12:38 PM

Well with selling, its alot different than buying. Especially since you are dealing with something that can only be bought (99 times out of a 100) with a bank being involved.

That said, 1 rule to live by on CL and you will be fine: Never use moneygram or Western Union.

You follow that, and you will be golden!

Old 07-17-2009, 12:55 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Congratulations. You are a one in a million in terms of having succes with selling real estate by owner.

Interesting that the buyers did not do an inspection. Either they were incredibly naive or were in the construction business.

Old 07-17-2009, 01:22 PM

1,938 posts, read 7,122,984 times
I am surprised myself!
I have been searching for rental properties and it seems like every post I respond to is someone from "Africa on a mission trip trying to get into heaven" and wants me to wire them the money then I can have the keys.
Of course you want to know where I am looking? Virginia's craigslist for Hampton Roads in Williamsburg. I don't want to give up on craigs altogether, but I am seriously tired of hearing from out of country individuals who want me to wire them the money...a huge no-no.

Old 07-17-2009, 01:26 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,981,722 times
Congratulations, I'm glad it worked out for you. For me, it wouldn't work out. I trust no one on Craigslist and have no intentions of letting strangers into my home that I've only met on the internet. While I understand even agents could end up unknowlingly bringing unscrupulous people into my home, I think there is less of a chance. Too many scams on CL.

Old 07-17-2009, 01:46 PM

We actually had another couple interested and looked that day as well, they just never bit.

And they didn't get an inspection b/c I had just spent $5,000 on getting the crawl waterproofed with a french drain around the entire 1700 sq foot interior of the crawl, along with doing other updates, and since it was bought by us just under 2 years ago, they just looked at that report and were happy enough since they knew we were on top of getting the house in top shape!

Old 07-17-2009, 02:03 PM

17,356 posts, read 14,613,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freshjiv View Post
We actually had another couple interested and looked that day as well, they just never bit.

And they didn't get an inspection b/c I had just spent $5,000 on getting the crawl waterproofed with a french drain around the entire 1700 sq foot interior of the crawl, along with doing other updates, and since it was bought by us just under 2 years ago, they just looked at that report and were happy enough since they knew we were on top of getting the house in top shape!
Sorry - they didn't get an inspection because, just like MAM said, they were naive.

They don't know you from Adam ... why should they believe you on such an important financial purchase? They shouldn't - they should've been looking our for their own interests instead of being so trusting.

Congrats though on your quick sale.

Old 07-17-2009, 02:04 PM

11,825 posts, read 34,420,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freshjiv View Post
Craiglist-0% commission, and the best Real Estate Agent in the world!
p.s. I bought this same house on Craiglist, so the guy I bought from had the exact same experience 2 years before!
I completely dispute the best real estate agent in the world statement.

Craigslist is an advertising medium, not an advocate.

Old 07-17-2009, 04:54 PM

359 posts, read 1,119,048 times
I check Craigslist every day. I actually looked at one when they listed it a 2nd time and lowered the price $50k - I had my realtor call them and schedule a showing as their ad offered the 3% buyers commission. If a seller won't work with a buyers agent, for the right price I would have compensated her. No way I can cut her out, she's awsome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate