Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 08:31 AM

765 posts, read 2,568,573 times

Advertisements

Home owner warranties to cover major appliances seem to be a pretty common thing these days for a seller to provide, especially if the major systmes are not brand new. So how much do these run and what do they cover? How important are they to making a sale? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2009, 09:04 AM

1,177 posts, read 4,156,907 times
In my area(Middle TN) the base price is around $450 for basic coverage. There is optional coverage that can be added for a fee. The best way for you to find out what is covered is to go to one of their websites as it is fairly detailed. As an example, go to First American Home Buyers Protection|Home Warranty|Purchase Home Warranty|Home Protection Plans|Home Warranty Option|Selecting a Home Warranty|First American Home Warranty|A leader in the home warranty industry which is the website for First American Home Buyers Protection Corporation.(disclaimer: I am not affiliated with this company) I think, more than anything, a warranty for buyers offers some sense of comfort, especially if they are moving into a home that is not new. You will get differing opinions as to how good or effective these home warranty's are. The key to maximizing home warranty benefits is to absolutely follow their procedures/guidelines in accessing the services and to know what is covered upfront. When I have a buyer client making an offer on a home that is not new I always recommend asking for a one year home warranty if it is not initially offerred.
Hope this helps.

Old 07-28-2009, 09:17 AM

15,578 posts, read 40,434,848 times
First American and AHS are two of the largest companies. It's a nice thing, but I don't know any buyer that has bought a house because it was advertised as having a home warranty.

Old 07-28-2009, 09:57 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,235,578 times
I use American Home Shield. The mid range policy runs $500/year here with a $60 per service call fee.

Old 07-28-2009, 10:05 PM

16,075 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
First American and AHS are two of the largest companies. It's a nice thing, but I don't know any buyer that has bought a house because it was advertised as having a home warranty.
Ok, I didn't buy my house just because of the warranty, but it sure did help sweeten the pot.

Maybe in a high end market or in newer homes it might not be as enticing, but in my situation it made me feel more comfortable about buying a house with a few potential problems.

It's proven it's worth to me. I bought a low end house that was older, so I knew it was going to have some issues. That $500 policy the seller threw in has been worth that much and more so far. I've already had an appliance repairman, an electrician, a plumber, and the HVAC guy has been out once for the heater and once for the AC.

Old 07-28-2009, 10:12 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,595,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cofga View Post
Home owner warranties to cover major appliances seem to be a pretty common thing these days for a seller to provide, especially if the major systmes are not brand new. So how much do these run and what do they cover? How important are they to making a sale? Thanks
We paid $500. Had to pay $90 for a service call on our furnace New Years weekend We had been listed about a week. Got a firm contract a few weeks later, so I guess it was priceless! Buyer never knew.

I warn you they will fix, fix, fix, before they ever replace.

Old 07-28-2009, 11:52 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,257,217 times
Home warranty prices are based on square footage and type of property i.e. condo, townhome, single family, mobile home etc. Most of them have a basic premium of $350 then you can add additional coverage such as termite coverage, washer/dryer/ and many have the "green" option too etc. Most of them provide free coverage to the seller while the house is on the market. So if something breaks, you just have to pay the $60-$75 fee.

They do sweeten the pot when you are selling a home but buyers are savvy these days.

Naima

Old 11-03-2014, 08:20 PM

8 posts, read 34,390 times
Hi. Question from first time home buyer making an offer on a condo.

Condo is under 700 sq ft
Built in mid 80s
Located in San Fernando Valley

How much $ should I ask for in the offer for the Home Warranty?

Please reply ASAP if anyone can. Thank you.

Old 11-05-2014, 03:51 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xindig View Post
Hi. Question from first time home buyer making an offer on a condo.

Condo is under 700 sq ft
Built in mid 80s
Located in San Fernando Valley

How much $ should I ask for in the offer for the Home Warranty?

Please reply ASAP if anyone can. Thank you.
You tell the seller to provide a home warranty.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 11-05-2014, 04:01 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,811,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
You tell the seller to provide a home warranty.
In the Texas contracts, you can't just tell the seller to provide one, you have to put a dollar amount for the max allowed for the seller to contribute. That way, if the buyer decides to add on a million extras, the seller isn't pay for the buyer's personal property like fridge, washer, or dryer.

In my area, we typically cap at $500, but if there is a pool, most companies charge about $150 for the added coverage so we do $650 for those houses. Each company has different prices so if the buyer spends more, they will pay the difference at closing, not the seller.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate