Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 02:45 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,184,922 times

Advertisements

I would just be happy with the Nanny's salary and whatever small apartment she lives in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2009, 03:59 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,055,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trickymost View Post
Did this woman really do anything wrong? Her situation would be far different were it not for the divorce. What married couple ever plans for divorce when they look at their finances? Not to mention, a 2.5 million dollar home in NYC is not the same as it would be elsewhere in the country...for their market and their jobs, they were not wealthy people.
I lived in that area (westchester county) for over 20 years. It's expensive but not THAT expensive. I even worked at Mastercard in Purchase. She can find a nice home for 350K 30 minutes from there. And if she needs to stay in that specific area, she can certainly find a home for 500-700K.

Just because a person earns a certain amount does not mean they should spend the most they could 'qualify for.' When you have incomes that high, less of the money should go towards a house.

They could have bought a beautiful 700K home in the best school districts in Westchester and had it paid off by now. They were dumb.

Old 08-16-2009, 05:21 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,863,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheenie2000 View Post
I lived in that area (westchester county) for over 20 years. It's expensive but not THAT expensive. I even worked at Mastercard in Purchase. She can find a nice home for 350K 30 minutes from there. And if she needs to stay in that specific area, she can certainly find a home for 500-700K.

Just because a person earns a certain amount does not mean they should spend the most they could 'qualify for.' When you have incomes that high, less of the money should go towards a house.

They could have bought a beautiful 700K home in the best school districts in Westchester and had it paid off by now. They were dumb.
She could also rent out the property and move in to a smaller rental. I think a family of her size can get by just fine with say, 2000 sq.ft. and a .5acre.

Old 08-16-2009, 06:06 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,855,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
Just when I thought I had read everything on the internet...

Today's Washington Post article: Entitled, "Squeaking by on a $300K a year salary"

Squeaking by on $300,000 - washingtonpost.com

Well, to be more detailed, she really only earns $150K a year with a bonus plus $75K a year child support from her ex husband.

But this woman is trying to maintain a 2.5 million dollar home PLUS a live in nanny for $40K a year PLUS having to pay $35K a year in Real Estate Taxes in New York.

This woman should be the poster child for what's wrong with America, what's one of the main contributing factors in the housing collapse.

She is a ticketing time bomb. At least she still earns a very good income, instead of relying on alimony support from her ex. I'll give her credit for that. But can't she see danger ahead? What if she loses her job as a Mastercard executive? I'm sure she has savings, but this house will drag her down quickly unless she does something right now. She and her ex husband purchased this home when they had two working incomes, now she's a divorce mom on one income. Her and her ex probably made around 700-800K a year to afford this home. But more than half that salary is gone with the divorce.

Sad word we live in. I earn more than this woman and I live in a home worth about 5 times less than hers, but I'm perfectly happy in my house. I'm very liquid, can take vacations anytime I want. My housing costs (includes mortgage/principal/taxes/insurance electricity, cable, phone, hoas etc) are less than 10% of my monthly income.

You gotta not try to keep up with the Joneses. It'll get you in trouble very quickly. Get rid of the nanny first. It's not like the kids are less than 5 years old. They can take care of themselves for the most part. Or hire an afternoon sitter from 3-7 pm for less than half the cost when the kids get home from school.
I know let's bail her out because it will be a "stimulus" to create jobs... that's what I keep hearing when they want to justify wasteful spending...

Old 08-16-2009, 07:17 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,115,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Stranger View Post
People just don't need these six thousand square foot homes with six bathrooms !
and

Quote:
Originally Posted by amerifree View Post
I do...it's good to be the king!
Holy Crap Batman. That's a lot of poop!

(Sorry, couldn't resist )

Old 08-16-2009, 09:30 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default Logic vs Emotion/ Ego

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheenie2000 View Post

While I am not feeling mean enough (this instant...) to call the profiled people dumb, I do agree that this is a very good example of lack of logic.

In any logical analysis it makes no sense to live in a place that demands so much in taxes asa percentage of income. Neither is it logical for some one who, as she formerly worked not at other finance related firms, but instead for fashion / retail firms, to live so far above their salary -- at least if the woman profiled had some shot at getting a bonus of finance type proportions it make some sense to have two vehicles and nanny that is paid nearly a quarter of own income.

Alas emotionally it is challenge enough to know that the father of your children is getting a new wife, in such a situation it would be hard enough to uproot yourself and your kids. There is also something to be said for Silverfall's line of reasoning -- why take what would almost certainly be a HUGE hit by selling in a depressed market? Maybe it make some sense to hold onto the house in the hope she can use it to retire or host a wedding for her daughter someday...

Somehow I do hope that the woman profiled does open her eyes though. While emotionally she may think that little Solstice makes it more likely she can find a new husband, logic says that it a remote chance at best. Selling that car to rely only on the Volvo SUV and using the proceeds to fix a plumbing leak is going to crush her ego, but save her equity...

There is always an element of "delusion" when one buys a "dream home" -- the upkeep is inevitably far more costly than estimates, the time spent lounging in the pool is NEVER cost effective in comparison to even an expensive club (and miles behind the pool at the Y...), the value of gardener pales weighed against installing VALUES in your kids by having them learn about pulling weeds and mulching the lawn...

Old 08-16-2009, 09:50 PM

2,771 posts, read 6,275,798 times
Quote:
Did this woman really do anything wrong?
She should have dumped the house when she divorced and moved into a place where she could afford the payments.

She should also scale back her lifestyle just a little. I mean, she doesn't seem to be trying very hard to "scrape by".

I can't believe that we're expected to bail out these people.

Old 08-16-2009, 09:52 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,434,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elflord1973 View Post
She should have dumped the house when she divorced and moved into a place where she could afford the payments.

She should also scale back her lifestyle just a little. I mean, she doesn't seem to be trying very hard to "scrape by".

I can't believe that we're expected to bail out these people.
I agree that the prudent thing would have been to sell the house at the time of the divorce, but she didn't.

No one is bailing this woman out. She is making her payments and has savings.

Old 08-16-2009, 10:31 PM

2,771 posts, read 6,275,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
I agree that the prudent thing would have been to sell the house at the time of the divorce, but she didn't.

No one is bailing this woman out. She is making her payments and has savings.
There are a number of government interventions that are designed to prop up house prices.

It's true that if she pays off her mortgage in full and never has to sell, then no-one is bailing her out. I don't believe that she can keep making the payments.

If she does sell and she's not underwater, then she benefits from the market interventions that prop up the value of her house (these include interventions in the credit and bond markets and foreclosure prevention measures. The 8k credit is also a measure to prop up demand, though that isn't going to affect a $2.5M house)

If the bank takes the place back from her because she can't afford it, then we paid for that too. In a number of ways, the public has been forced to eat the losses of the banks.

Old 08-17-2009, 03:45 AM

35 posts, read 245,086 times
Quote:
What married couple ever plans for divorce when they look at their finances?
I do... well, not exactly. I take into account what will happen if we have to only rely on one income, though - disability, death, the loss of one of our jobs, etc.

While not everyone makes enough money to have that luxury, planning the necessities around ONE income provides a heckuva lot of security, freeing a lot of cash for retirement savings, emergencies like medical costs, and simply enjoying yourself rather than being obligated to pay for rooms you never use or whatever.

Folks who make $30,000 a year don't have any other option than living month-to-month, but people in this circumstance don't have any excuse. It just isn't smart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate