Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 03:10 PM

15 posts, read 42,884 times

Advertisements

I am in the market right now to buy a home. For me it does not matter if it is from inventory or someone can build new.

I was planning to buy a small house of 3 bed rooms and around 1900 SqFt to save on monthly payments, tax, insurance and energy bills. But I heard from some folks that such small houses are not easy to sell and everyone wants to buy a bigger house only. Is this really true?

Also I prefer to buy a ranch home over two story because health reasons. After few years I may not be able to climb stairs. Here also I heard that when you try to sell ranch home, you have to target only seniors or disabled people and no one else buys ranch homes. How true is this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2009, 03:21 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,454,017 times
Since when has 1900 sq ft been "small"? 800 sq ft is small - that was the size of my apartment before buying my 1960 sq ft house. There are thousands of homes of that size out there and they are selling like hot cakes in my neighborhood.

Old 09-07-2009, 03:35 PM

393 posts, read 674,015 times
I agree anything under about 2200 sq feet is small. I suggest you buy a 1.5 story medium size house (2250 to 3000 sq feet). The main living is all on the first floor and guest space and/or bonus is upstairs. It is a very economical way to operate a home, provides space for guests and you can stay on the first floor.

Old 09-07-2009, 03:50 PM

I cannot change the housing market so seems like I have to wait for one more year, save some more money and buy a bigger home (I will never need more than three bed rooms in my life).

Old 09-07-2009, 03:51 PM

11,828 posts, read 34,440,909 times
Real Estate is local. What is your market like?

Old 09-07-2009, 03:53 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,440,822 times
I guess it depends on where you live. 1900 sq feet out here isn't small. It's quite normal in fact.

I know many people with kids that have bought one story ranch homes. They wanted the school district and neighborhood. If a one story is the best for you, then you should buy a one story. The other thing you need to look at is that the average home size is shrinking. Many people can't afford the McMansions anymore.

I wouldn't look at generalizations too much. Look at the area you want to live in. Good neighborhoods always sell regardless of one or two levels.

Old 09-07-2009, 03:55 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,440,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpeshpandya View Post
I cannot change the housing market so seems like I have to wait for one more year, save some more money and buy a bigger home (I will never need more than three bed rooms in my life).
Don't buy a bigger house. I sold a 850 sq foot cottage in two weeks because it was in a great neighborhood. Now THAT is small.

Old 09-07-2009, 04:00 PM

Sorry! Forgot to mention my area. I am planning to buy in either Morrisville or Cary in North Carolina.

I would hate to buy a bigger home because of maintenance and energy bill. Also i am a bit more conscious about carbon footprint.

Old 09-07-2009, 04:29 PM

4,478 posts, read 11,621,918 times
Quote:
Also I prefer to buy a ranch home over two story because health reasons. After few years I may not be able to climb stairs. Here also I heard that when you try to sell ranch home, you have to target only seniors or disabled people and no one else buys ranch homes. How true is this?
Well, I'm a 45-year old single female and I've bought and lived in two ranches - so your target market isn't *only* seniors. However I will say that when I sold those houses, both were sold to retired couples and both sold very quickly. The second was in the Raleigh area and was bought by a couple moving from Upstate NY to be near their son in Cary. I was under contract the first day on the market. My house back in Virginia also sold very quickly. Honestly, I think a ranch floorplan is a plus, not a negative!

Old 09-07-2009, 04:31 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,060,029 times
Quote:
Sorry! Forgot to mention my area. I am planning to buy in either Morrisville or Cary in North Carolina.

I would hate to buy a bigger home because of maintenance and energy bill. Also i am a bit more conscious about carbon footprint.
If you don't want to buy a bigger home, then don't buy a bigger home. Seriously. I live in your area and there are TONS of homes here in the size range you want. In my neighborhood, most of the homes are between 1800 and 2000 square feet. They sell well & have increased in value even during the financial downturn.

I'm very curious who these people are who told you that homes like that don't sell. Where are they getting that impression? Have you actually spoken to people who work in real estate about your concerns? Because I imagine they'd calm your fears pretty quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate