Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 09:46 AM

6,446 posts, read 9,803,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by christina 76 View Post
my agent knew about it and kept it from us.

Like I said in my last post, it is illegal what was done to us and it is illegal what is happing to others, when you go with an agent it is his\hers responsibility to find out about Mello Roos and other issues with a house, that's why real estate agents must have a license, they are dealing with people's lives.
More reasons not to trust REALTORS lol You keep seeing the same responses over and over that REALTORS are ethical and honest lol

Yes there are some that are legit and honest and ethical, but in my opinion those are the exceptions.

Glad it all worked out for you Christina!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2009, 09:42 PM

10,966 posts, read 21,972,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
More reasons not to trust REALTORS lol You keep seeing the same responses over and over that REALTORS are ethical and honest lol

Yes there are some that are legit and honest and ethical, but in my opinion those are the exceptions.

No, you just here more about the few bad ones.

Old 11-14-2009, 09:13 AM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post

Thousands of transactions occur everyday. It makes for boring news to hear about the agent that got a successful short sale; the agent that helped the first time home buyers; or the agent that helped the couple downsize....are you seriously telling me that you would read about that?

Bad news sells.

Old 11-14-2009, 10:31 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
Usually a developer adds infrastructure to the price of the lots he sells in this area. On top of this many areas here have MUDs - Municipal Utility Districts (or several other names) that have an extra tax to pay for improvements to things like canals, raising areas out of flood plains - above and beyond HOA improvements.

Somebody's got to pay for it and no matter what you call it, the cost is absorbed by the homeowner.

Old 11-15-2009, 06:39 AM

1,764 posts, read 2,864,172 times
Default Congratulations

I know this is an older thread, but I wanted to congratulate you for "sticking" with it and fighting back.

Thirteen years ago, we bought our first home through a Realtor. Less than 18 months later, the sewer line broke and we had to pay $5,000 to have it fixed, in addition to replacing all the landscaping that was ripped out in the process.

Apparently, there is a very well-known problem in this subdivision caused by the builders using a pipeline not suitable for Chicago winters. It is my understanding, any Realtor in this area would know about it. However, she claimed ignorance when we contacted her. It left a very bad taste in my mouth.

Now, we are ready to sell and I just can't bring myself to sign with her. She may not have known but I honestly and truthfully believe that there is no such thing as a "Buyer's Agent." They don't get paid until a house sells so why would they look out for my best interest? I know I shouldn't mistrust all Realtors based on this experience, but she's not the first unethical Realtor we met in the process.

I am really glad you and your attorney's fought back on your Mello Roos issue and it all worked out or you.

Quote:
This past April my husband and I purchased a house with a Mello Roos that was kept from us,after we stated many times against a house with a Mello Roos, finding about the Mello Roos after we closed escrow, my agent knew about it and kept it from us.

I was contacted a few months ago by an attorney for both the real estate agency and the insurance, he took all the evidence I had and did his own investigating and recomended that they pay the Mello Roos off, every cent.

I can say with happiness that our home no longer has a Mello Roos!!!

Goes to show if people would just stand up for their rights instead of believing they have no choice but to "eat it", This world is full of wrongs that don't have to be if everyone would just fight, yes, it can be hard, but the rewards are well worth the it!!

I hope people read my story and realize that if they are screwed over by their agent,they don't have to take it, I have found out that many people are finding out after they close escrow that their house has a Mello Roos.

Like I said in my last post, it is illegal what was done to us and it is illegal what is happing to others, when you go with an agent it is his\hers responsibility to find out about Mello Roos and other issues with a house, that's why real estate agents must have a license, they are dealing with people's lives.

Old 11-15-2009, 02:43 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjd07 View Post
Apparently, there is a very well-known problem in this subdivision caused by the builders using a pipeline not suitable for Chicago winters. It is my understanding, any Realtor in this area would know about it. However, she claimed ignorance when we contacted her. It left a very bad taste in my mouth.
I honestly bet that she didn't know. One of the serious problems in the real estate industry is our failure to properly train our agents before unleashing them on the public. We know this and many agents are really trying hard to get our agents better trained and advocate for tougher entry standards.

I assume it was an Orangeburg type of product that failed.

If you are getting ready to list, I encourage you to interview several agents. Look at their marketing materials online before you decide who to interview. There are many great agents out there.

Old 11-19-2009, 08:25 PM

45 posts, read 173,337 times
It is a lie, California law states... a property owner and builder must disclose it to a buyer, or they can and will be sued to pay the entire Mello Roos off, agents also must run a title check on a property to find out all the taxes on it, so it can be taken into account what the person purchasing the property can afford,that does not sound like " just higher taxes",Mello Roos is just another excuse to get money out of people, we already have property taxes, Mello Roos was created as an excuse because they can't raise our taxes by more then 2 percent a year, so in retaliantion,Mello Roos was created. Property taxes pay for what is needed in a neighborhood, why else do we have it?? The people who created the Mello Roos will tell people it helps pay for things needed, yet.. why are they so high??? Triple regular property taxes. Many people in my neighborhood lost their houses because they were not told about the Mello Roos, it added 100's more to their mortages payments, this is not a joke!! This is serious!! I am going to get a petition going to make everyone involved in the housing market to tell people in writing about the Mello Roos, playing the "dumb card" is unexceptable!! I also hope someday to dismantle this Mello Roos, our state goverment needs to use our regular property taxes, stop using the money carelessly, then they will have the funds to do it, they're like a out of control spending child, they need to be put on a budget!!

Old 11-20-2009, 06:50 AM

1,465 posts, read 5,145,886 times
Quote:
It is a lie, California law states... a property owner and builder must disclose it to a buyer, or they can and will be sued to pay the entire Mello Roos off, agents also must run a title check on a property to find out all the taxes on it, so it can be taken into account what the person purchasing the property can afford,that does not sound like " just higher taxes",Mello Roos is just another excuse to get money out of people, we already have property taxes, Mello Roos was created as an excuse because they can't raise our taxes by more then 2 percent a year, so in retaliantion,Mello Roos was created. Property taxes pay for what is needed in a neighborhood, why else do we have it?? The people who created the Mello Roos will tell people it helps pay for things needed, yet.. why are they so high??? Triple regular property taxes. Many people in my neighborhood lost their houses because they were not told about the Mello Roos, it added 100's more to their mortages payments, this is not a joke!! This is serious!! I am going to get a petition going to make everyone involved in the housing market to tell people in writing about the Mello Roos, playing the "dumb card" is unexceptable!! I also hope someday to dismantle this Mello Roos, our state goverment needs to use our regular property taxes, stop using the money carelessly, then they will have the funds to do it, they're like a out of control spending child, they need to be put on a budget!!
I agree with you that there should be no doubt when purchasing a home that there is an outstanding Mello-Roos bond.

I disagree with you that it should be abolished. Why should existing residents be burdened with a new development that puts additional strain on streets, libraries, schools, police, fire, parks, etc? Ongoing costs are maintained with the additional property tax but it costs money to build a new school or to widen streets adjoining the development. The development should pay for it, either rolled into the cost of the house or as a separate bond.

There used to be an unlimited piggy bank for cities/counties, the property tax. People were losing their homes because they could no longer afford the property tax. It was totally unfair as their usage of facilities did not increase, they were just subsidizing developers.

Once Prop 13 limited Property Tax, it forced the state assembly to charge those responsible for the additional costs. That is Mello-Roos

Old 11-20-2009, 07:29 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
In my state, some municipalities enact "Special Service Areas (SSAs)" to build infrastructure for new subdivisions. When such tax is imposed, the listing agent is required to list it, within the MLS.

Last edited by middle-aged mom; 11-20-2009 at 07:39 AM..

Old 11-20-2009, 07:36 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
I've never heard of the "Mello Roos" before, but after reading about it, it sounds like a great idea. I wish we had something like that, here.

Instead, when we want to build a development, someone has a study done, and determines "We don't need new sewer pipes." And then the next guy wants to build a development, and we say, "We don't need new sewer pipes." And so on.. until eventually a sewer main bursts and spills 3 million gallons of raw sewage into the intracoastal water way on the 4th of July weekend. And everyone freaks out, "WHY DIDNT ANYBODY DO ANYTHING?", and the state of NC threatens to take over the local gov't, and all hell breaks loose, with building moratoriums, etc.. until we spend a ton of money to get the problem fixed, and the cycle starts all over again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate