Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 12:26 PM

761 posts, read 3,418,162 times

Advertisements

No one probably is giving a straight answer as anything could come up in a contract written by the sellers and thier own attorney. I know that you will read the contract probably a few times yourself, but wouldn't you feel better paying an attorney a few hundred bucks (not sure how much this really costs though) for a sense of security?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2009, 12:27 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,591,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwillthink4u View Post
i have seen alot of people suggest one after another that i must get a lawyer and i can understand and appreciate that.....however, i haven't seen an answer to a question i asked a couple of times....

here it is again:
what "sort of things" can result from the lawyer having the interest of the seller in mind? what stuff that someone who reads and understands english can not detect as being "unfair"?
I thought I offered an opinion on this. Their lawyer can leave out potential buyer protections that may not be obvious without understanding the full scope of legal consequences that may apply in your situation. For example, how will disputes be resolved - mediation or court action? Which is best for you? What happens if certain requirements are not met? Is there a "cure" period to allow late obligations to be fullfilled? Etc. All contracts can be slanted to favor one side or the other. Given that you are spending hundreds of thousands, what's a couple hundred $ more for a contract review?

Old 09-25-2009, 12:29 PM

204 posts, read 684,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norsky1 View Post
No one probably is giving a straight answer as anything could come up in a contract written by the sellers and thier own attorney. I know that you will read the contract probably a few times yourself, but wouldn't you feel better paying an attorney a few hundred bucks (not sure how much this really costs though) for a sense of security?
well, i just don't see why it is automatically assumed that a lawyer is going to detect something that i'm not. I understand that it's what a lawyer does etc. but if the contract is written in plain english and it is, i'm just not convinced that without one i'm doomed.
that's why i was asking for examples....but i guess i can understand what you mean about nobody here not knowing.

thanks for listening though :-)

Old 09-25-2009, 05:37 PM

11,874 posts, read 11,054,222 times
Quote:
well, i just don't see why it is automatically assumed that a lawyer is going to detect something that i'm not. I understand that it's what a lawyer does etc. but if the contract is written in plain english and it is, i'm just not convinced that without one i'm doomed.
that's why i was asking for examples....but i guess i can understand what you mean about nobody here not knowing.

thanks for listening though :-)
As an FYI we are not licensed attorneys in the state you're buying which is why since the seller's attorney is drafting the contract it was recommended to have your own counsel assist. By the way though, there were other reasons agents 'did' point out as to why retaining an attorney would be a good idea - not like any of us said "Hey hire a Realtor!" Anyway, I'm sure you'll do just fine going it alone. Best of luck to you and your $350k investment

Old 09-25-2009, 05:49 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,721,236 times
Quote:
hi,
i'm purchasing a sfh from an owner directly.....the price is 350k and there are no agents or any loan involved.
we are meeting next week at a title company that the seller recommended (they know each other) and drafting a contract that basically will say that everything will be in cash and the seller will pay 'upto' 10k in closings (even though i know there wont' be anywhere near 10k in closing. more like 3.5k)

anyway, the lawyer who will draft the contract is a friend of the seller....so i just wanted to ask you guys if there is ANYTHING i should watch out for.......u know....in order to not get the short end of the stick. you know how some lawyers are!
Be sure that you are paying part of the Lawyers fee. That makes him responsible to look out for you too. I've bought several homes that way and never had any real problems. Who is trransferring the title? you need to be surer that the house is free of any liens at thee time of settlement.

Old 09-25-2009, 06:04 PM

15,588 posts, read 40,480,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Be sure that you are paying part of the Lawyers fee. That makes him responsible to look out for you too.
You are welcome to pay their fee, but attorneys can only have one client. They can't represent both sides in the transaction it violates the law.

Old 09-25-2009, 06:59 PM

11,874 posts, read 11,054,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
You are welcome to pay their fee, but attorneys can only have one client. They can't represent both sides in the transaction it violates the law.
Absolutely, SF. That would be called 'conflict of interest' as an attorney cannot have a fiduciary responsibility to both parties of the same transaction and OP already stated that the 'seller's attorney' was drafting the contract. Would be like say a civil case where one attorney represented both the respondent and the plaintiff

Old 09-25-2009, 08:41 PM

637 posts, read 3,238,705 times
Quote:
hi,
Quote:
i'm purchasing a sfh from an owner directly.....the price is 350k and there are no agents or any loan involved.
we are meeting next week at a title company that the seller recommended (they know each other) and drafting a contract that basically will say that everything will be in cash and the seller will pay 'upto' 10k in closings (even though i know there wont' be anywhere near 10k in closing. more like 3.5k)

anyway, the lawyer who will draft the contract is a friend of the seller....so i just wanted to ask you guys if there is ANYTHING i should watch out for.......u know....in order to not get the short end of the stick. you know how some lawyers are!

This makes no sense to me for a few reasons; first I'm assuming you are going it alone to save money? Yet you come into a real estate forum looking for free advice which tells me you are more than likely uncertain about the process.

Wouldn't it be easier to get a knowledgeable realtor to write the deal up for you and make sure you are properly represented in the entire trnsaction, therefore not getting screwed over by the seller, title co, or an attoeney?
It seems to me like 350K is probably a fair amount of money to you yet your willing to gamble to save a few bucks on the purchase price.

Old 09-25-2009, 10:14 PM

40,956 posts, read 49,260,682 times
We are not attorneys here and have trouble answering your question. We recognize red flags like -

"sellers attorney who is a friend of seller"

Any contract given to me by someone written by an attorney, I would want my attorney to review & give me an opinion.

We are trained to understand basic real estaye contracts / addenda / concepts and not allowed to practice law so in short, we don't know.

Old 09-25-2009, 11:23 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,220,957 times
Quote:
i don't think me not getting a lawyer automatically makes me a sucker.
it does however make you a judgemental person.
I don't think it was an intended insult, only an apt example. Keep in mind that you posted your concern in hopes of helpful responses. If your mind is already made up on the matter then proceed by all means and good luck with the seller's lawyer and title company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate