Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 02:39 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
We've lived with a septic tank for some 13 years now. Haven't had any more trouble with it (well, actually, LESS trouble with it) than we did with our city septic when we lived in town.
While I am on municipal sewer, a substantial part of my zip code is on private wells and septics. I am aware of some 50 year old homes still working on the original septic, without any problems.

I am also aware of failures of some newer septics. One in particular, had something to do with too many Barbie doll parts being flushed away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2009, 07:05 PM

110 posts, read 235,702 times
Quote:
We've lived with a septic tank for some 13 years now. Haven't had any more trouble with it (well, actually, LESS trouble with it) than we did with our city septic when we lived in town.
We had one at our old house some 2 hours away, lived there for 8 years and not a peep. Current house has had issues, more than I care to ever go through again. Suffice to say not all soils are created equal for septics, so, no...never again :-)

Old 10-17-2009, 09:10 AM
SXN

350 posts, read 1,289,300 times
I was referred to my home inspector by my realtor. I got a good discount, but still think the inspection was pretty overpriced for what he did. He identified an issue with a gas line but in the end he missed some major issues with the electrical wiring in my place. You get what you pay for and I'm sure my realtor got some kickbacks for the referral.

I'd recommend using someone independent of anyone involved in the transaction of your home. Get a referral from friends or family instead.

Old 10-17-2009, 09:32 AM

4,511 posts, read 13,581,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXN View Post
I was referred to my home inspector by my realtor. I got a good discount, but still think the inspection was pretty overpriced for what he did. He identified an issue with a gas line but in the end he missed some major issues with the electrical wiring in my place. You get what you pay for and I'm sure my realtor got some kickbacks for the referral.

I'd recommend using someone independent of anyone involved in the transaction of your home. Get a referral from friends or family instead.
It's illegal for agents to take "kickbacks" for inspector referrals. It violates RESPA federal regulations. If you have proof of a kickback, then you should report it.

Old 10-17-2009, 09:34 AM

53 posts, read 125,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXN View Post

Oh Middle aged mom is gonna let you have it for this one!

Another lesson learned the hard way. NEVER, EVER, EVER, use the agent's recommended inspector. NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEVER!

Old 10-17-2009, 09:42 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,673,848 times
Location is everything.

Old 10-17-2009, 11:40 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
While I am on municipal sewer, a substantial part of my zip code is on private wells and septics. I am aware of some 50 year old homes still working on the original septic, without any problems.

I am also aware of failures of some newer septics. One in particular, had something to do with too many Barbie doll parts being flushed away.

The septic tank we're on I believe was installed in 1970. We have had a couple of issues recently, due to being on black gumbo clay soil and having had one of the most severe droughts since the 1950's the last couple of years - the fix was simply to dig down and re-attach the piping.

There are people in the nearby small town who've been on septic pretty much since septic was invented.

While living at our house in town (we were there 8 years), due to the house being on a slab, we had to have the bedroom floor jackhammered to repair a drain link, then rerouted the drain outside so we wouldn't have to deal with it again in future (why on earth anyone thinks it's a good idea to put pipes in slabs I will never know, having lived with the very predictable results), and then later had to have all of the drainpipe dug up and replaced all the way down the hill. Then, later, the city had to dig up the connection for our place and the neighbor's at the street (BIG hole, lots of equipment, lots of noise, close the street) and reconnect it. This was all on city sewer.

So, you can have problems either way. Our experience has been to have more problems with city sewer, and a minor fix on the septic system. Others' mileage clearly varies.

Old 10-17-2009, 11:48 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,067,614 times
I learned that you are not a "home owner" until the last payment is made. I also learned that in general a property with multiple rentals such as an apartment building or fourplex can be more profitable than a single family rental like a house or trailer.

Old 10-17-2009, 04:43 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:

Our experience has been to have more problems with city sewer, and a minor fix on the septic system.
This has been my personal experience, too.

Old 10-17-2009, 05:11 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,434,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
This has been my personal experience, too.

Wait until the sewer line collapses for city sewer. Not a cheap repair...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate