Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 03:49 PM

584 posts, read 2,148,536 times

Advertisements

If you are going to buy a house, and you need to see the inspection sheet, is there a way to tell if the inspector they hired did all the things they are supposed to do? Or if they are really licensed? How do you tell if you are dealing with a professional before you go ahead and buy the house?

For example, when we bought the current house we live in, the real estate agent we were buying the house from hired the inspector. The inspector said everything was great. Turns out not. The windows leaked, the electric was not up to code, the sliding glass door was actually put on backwards, and lots of other things. We didn't know what to look for because we were first time home buyers, so we just relied on these people to do their jobs. But they didn't.

Anyway, I just want to make sure there aren't mistakes this time around. Is there any hope for me, the buyer, to know the codes and what is actually supposed to be inspected? Like I know there is a check list, but how do I know if the inspector writes down the right things?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2009, 03:56 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,576,169 times
Interview the inspectors before you pick one. Ask what they check and for a sample report. You hire and pay them, not the agent. The agent can give you their recommendations, but it's your decision to use an agent recommended inspector or your own choice.

Old 12-18-2009, 04:32 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,162,125 times
The inspection report should be generated by the state and have the inspectors license at the cover sheet.

Hopefully you have a good buyers agent. I have several inpectors I recommend, I want the best inspector for my clients not someone who takes shortcuts.

Old 12-18-2009, 05:09 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,413,812 times
I would also consider hiring an inspector that uses thermal imaging. There are many great inspectors that don't use thermal imaging, but I have found that the ones that use it here locally are really invested in learning about homes.

Were you not at your home inspection before? If you were not, I STRONGLY recommend that you attend the inspection. You want to walk the house as much as possible with the inspector so that you can see for yourself that they have hit everything.

I would also spend time interviewing buyer agents. Keep interviewing until you find something you know is great. Great agents will filter through the inspectors for you and can typically give you three solid names. Mediocre agents tend to recommend mediocre home inspectors.

Out here license information, along with any complaints in the past 7 years, appear online. See if your state allows you to lookup their license information.

Old 12-18-2009, 05:16 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,222,558 times
Shop for your inspector like you would any other professional, find out what they will do and what it costs. There are certain trade associations such as ASHI or NACHI that "standardize" the home inspection process and the inspector has to perform a certain amount of inspections before they can use the advertise that they are members of the association.

Old 12-18-2009, 09:53 PM

302 posts, read 2,231,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
The inspection report should be generated by the state and have the inspectors license at the cover sheet.
Gee, what if I don't live in Texas?

Old 12-18-2009, 11:20 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,291,381 times
You can find out if home inspectors have to be licensed in your state by a variety of ways.
Ask your Realtor.
Look in the yellow pages, they may have their license numbers in their ads.
Call a couple inspectors and ask them.

Try to find an inspector that has been in business a few years at least. Ask to see a sample report. See if they belong to an organization that has real testing such as ASHI and NAHI. While there may be lots of inspectors out there that do not belong to ASHI or NAHI, at least they went the extra step with testing and continuing education.

As friends for recommendations.
Go to the inspection.

As far as thermal imaging goes, it is really no more than a flashy tool. There are way too many under trained inspectors using, low end cameras. While they are invaluable tools for energy audits (in the right hands), they don't bring as much to the table for a regular home inspection as some would like you to think.

Old 12-19-2009, 06:35 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,801,403 times
Your agent should not be picking the inspector, but should be giving you around three recommendations who have done good jobs for him/her in the past.

In Texas, the inspectors have to be licensed and use a state provided form, but this is not in every state, which I don't understand why. You should be able to go to your state's real estate website and get the information there on whether they are licensed, which would also mean insured and bonded.

Old 12-27-2009, 07:14 PM

584 posts, read 2,148,536 times
Thanks for all the info. I didn't know you could be there while the inspection was taking place. Is this in all states? All inspectors? Does your real estate agent need to be there too? I'm glad I can interview them. Don't want to have a lousy inspector like last time. I thought we had to use the one our real estate agent said we had to use.

Old 12-27-2009, 07:20 PM

2,124 posts, read 8,840,120 times
I WANT the buyer to be present when the home is being inspected. You should see first hand any issues, so you can decide if they are an issue TO YOU. Also, it is a great opportunity for your to find out about your home. Most inspectors (and this should be part of your interview if it is important to you) will tell you where cut off valves are, what type of filters to use and where to put them, and other vital information about the care of your home. Insist on being present. Not an option. your money!!

shelly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate