Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 07:41 PM

2,249 posts, read 8,898,379 times

Advertisements

I rarely show my own listings. Not that I wouldn't like to but generally buyers call other agents..they aren't comfortable with the listing 'agent' also being their 'agent' for the showing. Sure, they'll call me and ask all kinds of questions, then go and see the house with someone else.
As for feedback, I give it regularly as long as it is EMAILED. If it's faxed, forget it, if it is a phone call, if they catch me without a lot of other things going on they can have it, if not, I ask them to email me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 08:20 AM

179 posts, read 453,152 times
Believe me, your listing agent would LOVE to sell your home herself, so if she's not showing it herself, it's because 1. she doesn't have any buyers in your price range/location or 2. you live in a state that prohibits dual agency and it's actually against the law for her to both list and sell your home.

I think it's awesome that it's been shown so many times, good for you & good luck!

Old 02-10-2010, 08:41 AM

17,428 posts, read 14,650,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberFlynn View Post
Believe me, your listing agent would LOVE to sell your home herself, so if she's not showing it herself, it's because 1. she doesn't have any buyers in your price range/location or 2. you live in a state that prohibits dual agency and it's actually against the law for her to both list and sell your home.

I think it's awesome that it's been shown so many times, good for you & good luck!
Actually, that's not necessarily true - at least for me. (Let me clarify - I want to sell all my listings - just not double-end them.)

We do permit Dual Agency - called Limited Agency in Indiana - with full disclosure. All my sellers know though, that though I would definitely show their home to one of my buyer's, if they were seriously interested I would refer them to another agent for representation.

I think Dual Agency is a disservice to both buyers & sellers. It's not how I roll.

Word.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:57 AM

1 posts, read 833 times
Yes, your listing agent should definitely be doing some of the showing and tracking the feedback from people viewing the home. That is what she is getting paid for. If you don't see a change in him/her, I would consider getting another agent.

Old 02-10-2010, 09:18 AM

17,428 posts, read 14,650,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol Britt View Post
Yes, your listing agent should definitely be doing some of the showing and tracking the feedback from people viewing the home. That is what she is getting paid for. If you don't see a change in him/her, I would consider getting another agent.
Agents get paid to sell the property - and in most cases, don't get any cash until the sale is closed.

So are you saying that if an agent doesn't show the property themselves and/or can't get feedback but still gets the home sold, they haven't done their job?

Old 02-10-2010, 09:29 AM

15,578 posts, read 40,440,822 times
I'll weigh in. I'd say I show my own listings maybe 2-3 times over a 6 month listing. Most people already have their own buyer agent so listing agent's don't typically show the house a whole lot. You need to understand that buyer agents are typically paid via the MLS agreement for compensation.This compensation agreement has clauses about procuring cause. When listing agents show properties to other agent's buyers it can create a dispute over who was the procuring cause.

I can honestly say that it is rare that one of my own buyers wants to see one of my listings. Happens maybe once or twice a year. So the reason your agent isn't showing your house is because she personally doesn't have any buyers who are looking for a house like yours and she hasn't gotten any requests for showings from people that don't already have an agent.

As for feedback. I think it is useless, personally. If your agent can't tell you why people don't like your house by just walking in, then your agent needs to learn to tell people what the cons of their house are. If your agent has shared with you the cons of your house and you don't believe the agent, then that is another issue. I personally think sellers put way too much stock in feedback.

Did you know that there was a lawsuit over buyer agent feedback? A buyer agent told a listing agent that the buyer's didn't like the house because the paint was tacky. He did it thinking the buyers had crossed the house off their list. The sellers were insulted, but then the buyers changed their mind and offered on the house. The sellers refused to budge on price because they were upset about the comment. The buyers believed the buyer agent violated fiduciary duties to them because we have one of keeping information confidential. It was in Illinois.

Me. I just say that my clients aren't interested in the house at this time. That is all the feedback I ever give anyone. I guess I figure if the agent doesn't know how to price and market a property they probably shouldn't be selling houses.

Old 02-10-2010, 09:41 AM

4,511 posts, read 13,582,493 times
for Silverfall's post!

Old 02-10-2010, 01:55 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,988,738 times
It's normal for most of the showings to come from other agents. I almost never show my own properties.

It's normal for feedback to be useless or vague when the buyer agent even actually gives any. I only get it at sellers requests because it's so useless. If the buyer is interested but not ready to offer they'll tell you it's overpriced hoping for a better deal or other concessions. The best feedback is if they made an offer or not. If they didn't, they think it's overpriced.

Old 02-13-2010, 07:59 PM

274 posts, read 709,118 times
Now that was a nice, pat answer.

Yes, I'll show my listings (or another agent from my office) all day! However, it's often no benefit to the seller because they're shoppers. IF they respond to my phone message or email, I'll show it. They're often shoppers, they're not ready to buy a property.

To say that a listing agent's responsibility is to show the property to anyone who wants to see it is pretty simplistic. And I think that dead horse has been beaten.

Tracking feedback? Eh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol Britt View Post

Old 02-13-2010, 08:28 PM

718 posts, read 2,079,662 times
If you get repetitious feedback...like carpet or price or bad kitchen....perhaps doing something about an issue would be productive, but most of the time it is the agent's interpretation of what they think the buyer thinks. Half the time they don't ask...unlike HGTV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate