Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 08:55 AM

2,709 posts, read 6,316,140 times

Advertisements

This weekend I saw a listing online for a 1BR 1BA, garden-level condo. Completely redone inside, beautiful, good size for me, great price, good location (although the neighborhood is not in its prime any longer). Been on the market for 5 months.

I emailed the listing agent, asked about HOA monthly fees and pet restrictions. The agent could answer the question on the dues and said that he knew dogs were allowed, but wasn't aware of any weight limits. Great. We made an appointment for him to show me the condo.

Gorgeous, loved it. I'd not been planning to buy right now -- I'm a happy renter -- but for this place, I was willing to change my plans. Was already picturing myself in the space, yada-yada. A friend urged me to call the property management company just to verify the pet restrictions, if any. And yep...sure enough: 35-pound weight limit on dogs. Which pretty much puts the kibosh on any dreams of making this house my own, since my dog weighs 73 pounds.

Which makes me wonder about you agents. Do you guys run into this type of thing regularly? Have you lost sales because of a HOA's bylaws? As the economy and the housing market has changed, has it become more of a problem, less of a problem? Or is it no problem at all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 09:16 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,399,081 times
What I do is, if I'm not sure or don't have the bylaws or "house rules" handy, is call the association management company and ask them. If someone asks if pets are allowed, the best thing to do is find out all the details rather than just "yes pets are allowed" because there are many variables. It may be difficult to find a condo community where such a large dog will be allowed.

Old 02-09-2010, 11:40 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,220,959 times
You really can't rely on real estate agents to know things. Maybe you should be able to but the reality is just not there. Especially when it comes to zoning, ordinances, set backs, association rules - details.
You did the smart thing and checked yourself.

Old 02-09-2010, 04:01 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Speculation on my part....thinking this listing agent knew about dues and most likely pet restrictions too. Sounds to me like this agent wanted the opportunity to meet you, show the place and if it did not work for you, perhaps show you other places that might be a better fit.

Old 02-09-2010, 07:37 PM

2,249 posts, read 8,898,379 times
In my area there a lot of condos and associations and the rules change. I couldn't possibly keep up with them all. Our association now has a system where the condo association name/number are listed and I can call them...as long as the listing agent puts it in there.
Can the association rules and regs kill a sale? Sure. But the point is that the buyer is happy with what they are getting. And in my area, I can tell you right off the bat there is going to be a restriction on the size of the pet. If it was a priority of the buyer I would find out in advance just what the restriction is...otherwise I'm wasting my time as well as the buyers.

Old 02-09-2010, 07:57 PM

1,955 posts, read 10,983,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Speculation on my part....thinking this listing agent knew about dues and most likely pet restrictions too. Sounds to me like this agent wanted the opportunity to meet you, show the place and if it did not work for you, perhaps show you other places that might be a better fit.
That's my line of thought too. Knowing very well that he won't be able to sell you this one, at least he could have a chance as being your buying agent for another place which would allow for larger pets.

Being a step more cynical, his duty as the listing agent is to represent the seller, so if "not knowing" the weight limit is what it took to sell the unit, then so be it.

Old 02-10-2010, 10:41 AM

2,709 posts, read 6,316,140 times
I wasn't really asking with respect to MY particular situation. My question -- which I obviously didn't articulate well! sorry! -- was: "Do you guys as listing real estate agents sometimes lose sales because of something that's in the HOA bylaws?"

I was just wondering if you guys -- particularly as LISTING agents -- had your business affected because of limitations in HOA bylaws, such that once they were revealed to a buyer, the buyer passed on the property. That's what I meant by "are you stymied by HOA bylaws?"

This guy was not my agent. He was the listing agent. I'm fine with the fact he didn't know about the weight limit. I would expect that if I had a buyer's agent working for me, I'd have made it clear up-front that my dog weighs 73 pounds and therefore I was only interested in viewing properties that permitted pets the size of my dog. And my assumption (perhaps naive?) is that my agent, wanting to help me find the perfect house, would make sure that the properties she showed me matched that criterium.

Old 02-10-2010, 10:48 AM

4,511 posts, read 13,582,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftybergin View Post
I wasn't really asking with respect to MY particular situation. My question -- which I obviously didn't articulate well! sorry! -- was: "Do you guys as listing real estate agents sometimes lose sales because of something that's in the HOA bylaws?".
I've had clients pass on HOA's due to bylaw restrictions. One example - husband buys and restores classic cars as a hobby. He wanted space to store the cars and perhaps build a large workshop/garage on the property if it did not already have one. Most HOA's would have a problem with this. Ended up buying a non-HOA property where he since built his garage. I would not have made a sale if we were restricted to HOA properties.

Old 02-10-2010, 12:14 PM

164 posts, read 515,944 times
I just lost a sale because the HOA rules prohibited dogs over 40 pounds and the buyer's boxer weighed in at 65 pounds. Out of curiousity, I did an Internet search for HOA "best practices" standards in regard to pet restrictions. All of the "professional advice" sites I found uniformly advised against HOA's restricting pets based on weight. Briefly, these type of weight restrictions are an enforcement nightmare and underlying such rules are most often an irrational fear of bigger dogs. HOA's should make and enforce rules about the behaviour of the dog and its owner, and not arbitrary critieria such as weight, IMHO.

Old 02-10-2010, 12:53 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
I've had buyers tell me they did not want to look in HOA neighborhoods because of the restrictions. Doesn't mean that I lost a sale, because we simply looked at places that did not have those restrictions (or HOAs, for that matter), but that the listing agent does.

But I have no doubt that other agents, who might have shown any listings I have that do have HOAs with restrictions, run into the same thing I do and thus I suppose I could be said to have lost a sale that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate