Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 04:29 AM

2,249 posts, read 8,898,986 times

Advertisements

Just saw this in the local paper today and thought I'd post it up for everyone:

Quote:
Possession may be nine-tenths of the law but it's not iron-clad, as a Deltona man found out after he filed phony court papers and claimed ownership of several foreclosed homes -- including one he moved into, according to the Volusia County Sheriff's Office.
Deputies: Man filed fake documents to take houses - News (http://www.news-journalonline.com/news/local/west-volusia/2010/04/07/deputies-man-filed-fake-documents-to-take-houses.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2010, 08:24 AM

92 posts, read 345,814 times
Phodg2, any updates with the squatters? This is a crazy situation! We just bought a foreclosure last summer and had a hard time getting under contract because there were so many offers in at a time. I can't imagine the stress you're under. Wishing you luck!

Old 01-27-2011, 10:20 AM

65 posts, read 244,952 times
I am so sorry I thought I posted our outcome of this situation on this forum as well.

Well, here is what happened.

On March 26th 2010, the quit claim deed recorded agains the house was rejected by the Broward County Appraiser's Office. They have recorded a Notice of Insufficiency of Deed claiming that the Chain of Title was not followed and stating that the bank owns the home.

Also, the City of Plantation turned off the water to the house but the "tenants" were still housing their items there. They no longer live in the house but come by to check up on things.

2 months to the day when all this began, the so called "tenants" were peacefully removed from the home.

We performed a number of inspections on the house (including electrical and plumbing) and they didn't damage anything.

We are so thankful for our wonderful neighbors, since without them constantly alerting the police to the "tenants" coming and goings this would not have been possible.

The person responsible for all this was jailed April of 2010 and as of today, remains behind bars.

Thanks to all of you for your well wishes and support.

Old 01-27-2011, 01:25 PM

487 posts, read 1,358,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amerifree View Post
Why are you worried they will wreck your house? Do they appear to be unscrupulous? If they are good people they will move out based on principle? What was their reaction when the police showed up? Just out of curiousity, are the renters or "owner" from the US originally?
Are you serious?
Of course they are unscrupulous.
They are flippin squatters trying to steal this home!
You cant possibly be this naive.

To the OP.
Glad this worked out.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:38 PM

7,214 posts, read 9,397,504 times
This seems like a situation where a bit of physical leverage may have been better than going to the police and legal system. Just ridiculous you had to put up with all of this.

Old 01-27-2011, 05:50 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,213,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
This seems like a situation where a bit of physical leverage may have been better than going to the police and legal system.
Yeah, then you sit in jail while someone else is still sitting in your house.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:31 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,397,504 times
Maybe, maybe not. Deadbeats like that typically aren't going to the police.

"Yeah, I was squatting illegally in a house and was forced out!"

Good luck with that one.

Old 01-28-2011, 11:28 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,213,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
Maybe, maybe not. Deadbeats like that typically aren't going to the police.

"Yeah, I was squatting illegally in a house and was forced out!"

Good luck with that one.
And do you know what that deadbeat gets by going to the cops? The chance to move right back in while the issue gets resolved in court where it should have been in the first place. The law and courts take a rather dim view of using self-help to evict someone no matter how obvious it may seem that they don't belong there.

Old 02-01-2011, 07:51 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,941,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigger37708 View Post
Are you serious?

To the OP.
Glad this worked out.

Actually, no, they aren't, from what I can see, unscrupulous squatters trying to steal the home.
The way I read the OP was that the people LIVING in the home were renters. They paid money to someone who claimed to be the owner. The fact he claimed to be the owner is validated by the quit claim deed he filed, and which was later rejected. These renters, according to the OP, took care of the house, and did nothing to damage it. They were victims as much as the op was. Should they have done some research to be sure the guy they paid was actually the owner? Maybe, but I ask, how many renters ever do that? These people appear to be nice enough normal people who did nothing wrong. The criminal is now sitting in jail where he belongs.

Old 02-01-2011, 09:23 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,028,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigger37708 View Post
Are you serious?

To the OP.
Glad this worked out.
FAIL

Did you not read or comprehend what the OP typed out? The person responsible for this is behind bars not the people that were in the house. They got hosed and did the right thing and stayed as long as possible until the courts figured everything out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate