Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 03:39 PM

1 posts, read 6,148 times

Advertisements

how do i sell my home with the current renters unwilling to let buyers see the home inside
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2010, 04:44 PM

206 posts, read 797,627 times
They have to let you show the place as long as you give them written notice. Go to rent court.

Old 03-07-2010, 04:48 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,551,196 times
buy them dinner

Old 03-07-2010, 04:52 PM

181 posts, read 409,175 times
Depends on the laws in your state and the terms of your lease. No legal advice.

Old 03-07-2010, 04:52 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,100,599 times
I believe, but check your state's statutes, that if you give them proper notice, you can let yourself (and the potential buyers) in. Check your lease and read the landlord tenant laws for your state.

Old 03-07-2010, 05:16 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
In Oregon you'd have to post a notice of your intent to enter the property at least 24 hours in advance. If they are uncooperative, you'll need to show up yourself to let potential buyers and their agents in. If that doesn't work, then you'll have to end the lease, assuming that you have a month to month agreement.

So...read your state laws on when you are allowed entry on the property and what kind of notice is allowed.

Old 03-07-2010, 05:40 PM

1,570 posts, read 5,985,295 times
This is difficult. As others have posted, you will want to review the landlord / tenant law in your state. In most states you can enter the property for inspection after reasonable notice. In Kansas the LL is allowed to show the property to prospects after reasonable notice. Other states have specific requirements.
Regardless, the problem you will be up against is that the tenants may not be willing to clean up or may keep the house extra messy to try to kill the deal.
Best wishes.

Old 03-08-2010, 08:43 AM

1,560 posts, read 7,144,713 times
I had a similar issue when trying to sell a home in South Carolina after we had moved to Texas. We had rented out our home in South Carolina for a below market rate. After six months we became weary with the rental situation and put the SC home on the market with rental agency as the listing agent.

Fast forward another six months with a number of showings but no offers. Our agent shows the home, but isn't recognized by the tenant, and discovers that the tenent trash talks the home for the entire showing. He makes a number of claims of defects and issues that for some reason he never reported to the agency. (IE he lied.) Since a year has passed and he was on a month to month lease, we opted to bring the rent upto market levels and the tenant gave notice to vacate, as we desired. Within two weeks we had an offer and within six we had closed.

My point being that you may have to be willing to lose the monthly rental income before you can actually sell the home. I would discuss your particular situation with a lawyer to ensure you are not violating your renter's rights or any agreed upon conditions of the lease.

One question, are you looking to sell to a family, and there by causing the renters to have to move, or are you looking to sell the home as a rental income property with built in renters? If the second option is one your willing to commit to, you may be able to reassure the renters that they aren't losing their home and thereby gain their cooperation in selling.

Old 03-08-2010, 09:09 AM

207 posts, read 752,140 times
Is the ability to show the home up for sale included in this lease? Were they aware when signing the lease you planned on selling the house? If not, then why would you expect them to do this willingly? I would think most renters arent interested in signing a lease for a home that will end up being sold. It sounds as if you werent being truthful up front...

Old 03-08-2010, 09:25 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
Even when you have the ability to have the buyer gain access, it is difficult to sell a home with tenants in most cases. Most tenants do not keep the home in show ready condition and it's usually a mess.

If I know a home has tenants in it I exclude the house from showing if there are plenty of others to see. Homes with tenants do not usually look good or impress buyers - there are exceptions.

Best thing to do is get rid of the tenants, fix up the house and have it looking in tip top shape.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate