Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 12:48 AM

5 posts, read 13,160 times

Advertisements

I recently found a listing on craigslist that is amazing! Its a gorgeous house for rent for 650 a month. I had questions about the listing and they said they couldn't give the address until I complete the credit application. This seemed a little fishy to me. Most of the time, you see the house and then complete the application.

I am about to get married and I really want to watch my p's and q's with how things will fall in place.

The other thing is - if I do fill out the online credit report they suggested - will they see my social security number?

I want to believe that this house is not too good to be true.

My brother and sister-in-law have got all of their houses on craigslist and do really well with it.

Any help would be great! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 05:29 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,273,440 times
I am moving your thread to the real estate forum. I think the folks there can help you. My advice is 'don't do it'. It doesn't sound right and you will be giving them all kind of info on your and your SO.

Old 01-19-2010, 05:40 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,157,181 times
You are going to give your personal ihformation to someone online? What information do you have that this person is who s/he claims to be? Do they have proof of being a homeowner? Nope, sounds VERY fishy to me. In fact, it sounds SO fishy that I suggest you contact the police dept or the attorney general's office where you live.

Old 01-19-2010, 05:56 AM

43,458 posts, read 77,435,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missnew View Post
I recently found a listing on craigslist that is amazing! Its a gorgeous house for rent for 650 a month. I had questions about the listing and they said they couldn't give the address until I complete the credit application. This seemed a little fishy to me. Most of the time, you see the house and then complete the application.

I am about to get married and I really want to watch my p's and q's with how things will fall in place.

The other thing is - if I do fill out the online credit report they suggested - will they see my social security number?

My brother and sister-in-law have got all of their houses on craigslist and do really well with it.

You can find legitimate rentals on Craigslist.
It is also a snakepit of rental scams.

What you describe feels definitely like a scam.
The clues are:
"...amazing...gorgeous..couldn't give the address until I complete the credit application....too good to be true."

I bet you get to wire a deposit and 1st month's rent, or even reveal your bank account routing number for "convenience."
Me? I wouldn't touch it with YOUR 10 foot pole.

Old 01-19-2010, 06:56 AM

17,743 posts, read 14,844,769 times
I see those ads posted ALL the time.

Beautiful places - rents way under market value. They're 100% scams.

Here's an interesting tidbit: if it says "costa rican hardwood floors" it's most likely a scam. (Google it ... you'll pull up craigslist ads ...)

Old 01-19-2010, 07:01 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,967,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missnew View Post

Well, we all know that old bit of wisdom ; If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

The others have said it already. Probably a scam. If you really want to be sure and never have to worry that you may have missed the deal of the century, go ahead & get in touch with them. Just be sure to NOT GIVE OUT ANY INFO.

Old 01-19-2010, 07:06 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,887,806 times
If it sounds too good to be true... it is. People always want the unreasonable. In 99% of all cases someone won't rent a $3000 / month home for $650. So when you see that mose on. If they won't provide phone numbers, references, and so forth mark them as spam in Craigslist and move to the next one.... or just call your local agent and ask them to send you a list for your area.

Old 01-19-2010, 07:09 AM

9,357 posts, read 14,991,068 times
I had a "house for rent" post hijacked on Craigslist and put on with a much lower rent. I didn't know what was going on until someone I had been corresponding with asked me why I had cut the rent in half!!!

Craigslist is ( and certainly has been in the past) a really useful forum but I think CityData has got it right with moderators. There are so many scams that someone needs to be on top of things and certain posts need to be deleted right away.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:00 AM

845 posts, read 2,331,933 times
I have had great luck with selling items, including land, on CL, but it is a true cesspool of fraud.
Job section is sickening, and the rentals are the latest scam.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:20 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,240,946 times
Where has common sense gone ?

( IMHO) The majority of people who get ripped off are guilty also. Their better judgement told them it was a scam, but their greediness told them the deal was too good to pass up.

Scams succeed because of peoples' greed in wanting to get unbeliveable deals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate