Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 03:53 PM

432 posts, read 3,659,496 times

Advertisements

It took me over a year to stop second-guessing myself after buying my house. There are just so many variables that you will wonder for a while if you made the right decision, no matter how well you did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2010, 05:51 PM

7,639 posts, read 8,711,366 times
What are the most common reasons for buyers remorse? Are they more about the house itself (not as what you like, etc.), or more about the expense (mortgage, maintenance & fixing...)?

Old 04-06-2010, 09:12 AM

15,578 posts, read 40,440,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssww View Post
What are the most common reasons for buyers remorse? Are they more about the house itself (not as what you like, etc.), or more about the expense (mortgage, maintenance & fixing...)?
I don't do buyer's remorse with my clients because I won't write the offer if they are skittish, but what I see is lack of patience. Home buying can be a really exhausting process. I see a lot of anxiety from buyers when they start to get antsy and tired of looking. Sometimes they try and jump into a house that isn't right for them. I can totally see remorse kicking in at that point.

I have a 1960's fixer that we are pretty much gutting so I am up on costs of remodeling. I talk a lot with clients about the real cost of maintenance. I haven't found home price to be an issue personally but I did have a friend (before I was an agent) make an offer on a house that pushed their finances too far. After they looked at the GFE and realized how high their mortgage payments would be they backed out.

I think better preparation on the front end by real estate agents can remove a lot of the buyer's remorse issues.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:40 AM

1,318 posts, read 5,272,645 times
I still get twinges of it,and its been 2 yrs. LOL. Nothing to do with the $$,just the location and floor plan for me.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:49 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,435,861 times
Since the house is now yours, why wait for the keys if they have no right to keep holding on to them? I'd get a locksmith and get into the house. Plus, you would want to change the locks anyway.

My buyer's remorse continues to some small extent, but mostly because of factors outside the home, such as lack of backyard space or thoughtless and not-so-neighborly neighbors.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:53 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,690,784 times
I have owned 22 houses and have experienced buyers remorse with each and every one of them! Some I just bought for investment and did fine and STILL can find a twinge of remorse about some aspect of owning the place. LOL!

Old 04-07-2010, 10:20 AM

1,318 posts, read 5,272,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowian View Post
Since the house is now yours, why wait for the keys if they have no right to keep holding on to them? I'd get a locksmith and get into the house. Plus, you would want to change the locks anyway.

My buyer's remorse continues to some small extent, but mostly because of factors outside the home, such as lack of backyard space or thoughtless and not-so-neighborly neighbors.
I hear ya on the lack of backyard space.......

Old 04-07-2010, 11:27 AM

225 posts, read 426,070 times
It's a huge step buying a house. I can't believe they didn't give you the keys at closing....what is the reasoning behind that? I thought keys were always given at closing. I mean, once you close the house is your...so the keys should be too. Like someone else said, DEMAND those keys...they are yours!! You're the one making the payment on the house. So unless they are going to kick back some money to you (highly doubtful) get those keys. You're payment isn't going anywhere, you're going to have to pay and you're not even living in it yet. Call the real estate company and tell them you are coming to get the keys!

Old 04-07-2010, 12:22 PM

8,534 posts, read 7,405,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIGZ View Post
I just closed on a house last Friday but regretted it ever since. Its now Monday but I still haven't received the house keys yet from the agent. Is there any way to get out of buying this house?

I don't think I would have left the closing without MY keys to the house I had just purchased.

Old 04-07-2010, 12:29 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,582,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nan5623 View Post
I don't think I would have left the closing without MY keys to the house I had just purchased.
Again, it depends where the OP is located and their closing procedures.

Here, and in many states, there is no closing table. Buyer and seller sign closing documents independently, usually a few days before the closing date. If financing, our contract requires the buyer to sign at least 3 days prior to allow for loan processing/funding. When the deed is recorded the day of closing, then it becomes the buyer's home and they can get the keys. The buyer's agent has to wait for the title company to confirm recording, then the agent coordinates with the buyer to hand over keys. I usually try to hand keys the same day of recording, but it depends on the buyer's availability.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate