Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2010, 05:10 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,537,022 times

Advertisements

Do hardwood floors add to the value of my home in general?

I have a modest 3 bedroom home - about 15 years old. I'm preparing for a company relo and they have asked me to list any improvements.

That - and I took out the above-ground pool and put in a patio with retaining wall.

Will those add anything or do they matter?

I notice when I'm looking at possible homes to purchase that most of them have carpet. The thing I will miss the most about my house is my beautiful hardwood floors. I know that sounds stupid but I love them.

I'm worried about my roof passing inspection only because it is the original roof on the house. I re-did the roof on one part of the house where my skylights are because I thought the skylights were leaking but the contractor said it was my roof. Now I'm replacing the skylights. Should I go ahead and do the rest of the roof or wait and see if I'm told I have to by the appraiser or home inspector?

Sorry, I'm rambling; I'm really worried about this whole thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2010, 09:12 PM

11,828 posts, read 34,444,869 times
What is normal for your area?

Old 06-27-2010, 08:21 AM

Normal for my neighborhood is around $200,000 to $250,000 - thereabouts. Most folks do not have hardwood floors . . . but they do have a basement, which I do not have. I do have 1/2 acre of fenced, flat land (which is rare in my very hilly area); lots of houses look like they are sitting on top of a precarious hill.

Old 06-27-2010, 05:38 PM
QIS

919 posts, read 5,149,529 times
I say do not do the floors or anything decorative besides keeping the place clean! Floors are not an improvement if you want carpet or something else! Don't worry! Let the inspection proceed and then you have the $$$ you would have spent on the floors if the inspection discovers something reasonable and you agree to fix it. I say: don't do anything unless the buyer requests it in writing and you agree to it!

Old 06-28-2010, 10:15 AM

247 posts, read 1,141,428 times
We just completed a corporate relo (with exxonmobil) and they wanted a list of EVERYTHING we did to our house. We included ceramic tile floors, new fixtures, hardware, fencing, surround sound, appliances. They used these updates in conjunction with the apprasials we got to determine the buyout price of our home if we weren't able to sell. If it's they relo company asking for a list of improvements, tell them everything. It doesn't hurt. Exxon actually reimburses a % of improvements if you can provide recipets. The money gets added right on to your guaranteed offer.

Old 06-28-2010, 01:36 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,074,768 times
Your h/w floors may add somewhat- but it won't be a lot.
Some type of finished floor covering is a given- kindda like tires on a car.
Will it help sell- absolutely. Most people look at h/w floors as an upgrade.

Old 07-04-2010, 05:42 PM

Thanks guys for the info. I just want it to sell within the first 60 days so I don't have to take the buyout offer. I don't know what it is yet; but everyone is telling me it will be a lot lower than a regular appraisal price.

Fingers crossed.

I'm going to need a bigger house when we move because I'm taking my 88 y/o, widowed, father with me and we are all going to need some personal space!

Buying/Selling/Moving is stressful.

OH! And the first realtor that my relo company sent . . used comps for houses that were 20 years older than mine and on a horrible side of town. They compared my two story house to a ranch and a cape cod on the 'old' side of town. When I asked them why - I was told they didn't like the comps either but they were all they could find. Realtor 2 that my company sent - found great comps. I don't get it but I'm trying not to stress over it TOO much. I think the appraisals are what matters. Real Estate is complicated!

Last edited by Ringo1; 07-04-2010 at 05:46 PM.. Reason: forgot
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate