Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 03:08 PM

149 posts, read 271,185 times

Advertisements

For me it's pie crust. It always seems to break apart or just doesn't fit on correctly. Then when the pie is done, the crust seems dry to me.

What is your cooking nemesis?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2012, 03:10 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,358,419 times
I give you a lot of credit, because if something doesn't come out right the first time, I usually do not make it again. The only thing I do try is homemade biscuits and I realize that mine will never be as good as Pillsbury's.

Old 11-08-2012, 04:24 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,716,107 times
I have given up on rolling out dough. I can make drop cookies, biscuits, and so on, but if I need to roll it out, forget it. By the time I get it thin enough, the edges will be a wreck, and I'll use either too much flour (tough crust) or not enough (the dough will be fused to the counter). I also knead it too much.

My husband does an excellent job, so all dough-rolling duties are his.

Usually, like SXM says, if a dish does not turn out I do not make it again. I'll have to really want to make that particular dish, and even then, I'd probably try a different recipe unless I know what I did wrong.

Old 11-08-2012, 04:29 PM

5,296 posts, read 7,238,868 times
I have tried over and over but my fried chicken is never as good as my Aunt's was

Old 11-08-2012, 04:35 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,376,413 times
Biscuits and pie crusts intimidate me. I've tried several times to make both of them, and failed.

Old 11-08-2012, 04:46 PM

149 posts, read 271,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerz View Post
I have tried over and over but my fried chicken is never as good as my Aunt's was
My problem with fried chicken is that the outside comes out perfect, but the middle of the chicken is still raw.

Old 11-08-2012, 05:26 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,574,935 times
I have never mastered the fine art of making....(drum roll)......no bake cookies - with oatmeal and cocoa. They look simple enough that a 6year old can make them. I have NEVER had them get firm. Mom told me once to quit wasting her baking stuff - it looked like someone had climbed up on the kitchen counter and,.....well....you get the picture? I actually tried again a few months ago and they didn't turn out - so for over 30 years - I have not been able to make them. I buy them when I want some.

Old 11-08-2012, 05:39 PM

1,092 posts, read 833,502 times
My horror tales are somewhat similar. Fried pie crusts are a challenge, IF the crust turns out OK, the frying part ends up a nightmare ( usually I am tring to fry in too little oil, when I correct this, it ends us too much oil ). Fillings for these always are OK, just the " fried" part is a mess. Fried chicken has eluded me....same as you others, perfect outside, raw inside. I can do biscuits! From a tube!! Have never been able to master an omelette either. Eggs are fried, boiled, scarmbled or poached here.

Old 11-08-2012, 05:41 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,819,005 times
Mayonnaise! Argh, I can never get it right with my immersion blender. I am going to try it with my food processor next.

Old 11-08-2012, 09:56 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,574,935 times
Default Oh.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadhogHR View Post
My horror tales are somewhat similar. Fried pie crusts are a challenge, IF the crust turns out OK, the frying part ends up a nightmare ( usually I am tring to fry in too little oil, when I correct this, it ends us too much oil ). Fillings for these always are OK, just the " fried" part is a mess. Fried chicken has eluded me....same as you others, perfect outside, raw inside. I can do biscuits! From a tube!! Have never been able to master an omelette either. Eggs are fried, boiled, scarmbled or poached here.

I saw fried pie and immediately headed down memory lane. My mom used to make fried apple pies using canned biscuits. She took 2 cans each with 10 biscuits in them. She took two of the biscuits and stuck them together, sprinkled a bit of flour and rolled them into a circle about 8 inches around, filled it with fried apples (we would buy a couple of bushels every fall, slice them and freeze them..yum) she had simmered on the stove with a bit of brown sugar, cinnamon, and butter in them. Fold the biscuits over and pinch the edges (didn't have to be exact or even really pretty) and them fry them in an iron skillet with about 1/4 inch of hot oil in it. When one side got brown, turn it over and brown the other one. Sprinkled with sugar while still warm, and a big glass of ice cold milk. Good God, I haven't had those in years.....thanks for that rememory!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes