Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2012, 04:07 AM

2 posts, read 12,878 times

Advertisements

Hi there folks,
I prepared corn dogs. The outcome was that after I fried them the batter/dough was quite stiff and not soft. Do you have any idea what went wrong? Does someone have a good recipe?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2012, 09:42 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,222,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mothertobe View Post
Hi there folks,
I prepared corn dogs. The outcome was that after I fried them the batter/dough was quite stiff and not soft. Do you have any idea what went wrong? Does someone have a good recipe?
Thanks!

I tried to make corndogs at home twice, my first time and last time, it was a complete disaster. I wish I could help you. I only get my corndogs once or twice a year when the fair and carnival comes around now. I'll look in my church cookbooks though and see if there is something in there that I can pass along that may be different than what you do.

Old 10-04-2012, 06:10 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,829,266 times
Self-rising flour and soda water might make 'em fluffy.

Old 10-07-2012, 01:59 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,771,340 times
Sounds like you got too much flour in the batter. It can be tricky measuring that flour, just make sure you don't pack it down. If your batter does get too stiff, just add a little milk to it till you get it back to the right consistency.

I love corny dogs and one of my favorite easy suppers consists of frying some up and serving with Ranch Style beans and Frito's.

Here's my recipe:

1 cup flour
1 1/2 t.baking powder
1/2 t. salt
2 T. sugar
3/4 cup cornmeal
1 egg, well beaten
3/4 cup plus 2 T. milk

I mix my dry ingredients together in a bowl. I have a 2 cup glass Pryex measuring cup with measurements on the side that I measure my milk into and then I add the egg to the milk and whisk it up really good. (saves an extra bowl) and pour it into the dry ingredients and mix together.

Insert skewers into 8 frankfurters. Dip franks into batter. Drop into deep fat and fry until golden brown.

Personal notes here: Make sure your wieners are dry. You can even roll them in flour if you want before you drop them into batter. Hold above the bowl after you dip them in and roll them around getting off excess batter. Make sure your grease is hot and you have a big enough skillet that they have room. When they hit the hot grease, they need to start rolling. Sometimes you might have to help get them started by using tongs and twirling the protruding stick, but if the grease is at the right temp, they should start on their own. Just make sure they do roll or else you'll end up with lop-sided, funny looking and sometimes too much crust on one side.

Like I said earlier, if the batter becomes too stiff, just add some more milk to it. Easy does it though or you can wind up with it too thin.

Lots of times, I don't cook but a few corny dogs up, so have batter left over. I save it in the refrigerator for use the next day and always have to add some milk to it then to thin it back down.

Personally, I think this is just one of those things that sometimes takes a little practice. Don't give up on it, you be happy you conquered it and your kids will dang sure be happy! Can you hear it now. . . please, Mommy, please, can you fix corny dogs?

Believe me, you can do this and they are so much better than the frozen, store-bought ones.

Good luck!

Old 11-17-2012, 12:13 PM

2 posts, read 12,878 times
Default Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar2007 View Post
Sounds like you got too much flour in the batter. It can be tricky measuring that flour, just make sure you don't pack it down. If your batter does get too stiff, just add a little milk to it till you get it back to the right consistency.

I love corny dogs and one of my favorite easy suppers consists of frying some up and serving with Ranch Style beans and Frito's.

Here's my recipe:

1 cup flour
1 1/2 t.baking powder
1/2 t. salt
2 T. sugar
3/4 cup cornmeal
1 egg, well beaten
3/4 cup plus 2 T. milk

I mix my dry ingredients together in a bowl. I have a 2 cup glass Pryex measuring cup with measurements on the side that I measure my milk into and then I add the egg to the milk and whisk it up really good. (saves an extra bowl) and pour it into the dry ingredients and mix together.

Insert skewers into 8 frankfurters. Dip franks into batter. Drop into deep fat and fry until golden brown.

Personal notes here: Make sure your wieners are dry. You can even roll them in flour if you want before you drop them into batter. Hold above the bowl after you dip them in and roll them around getting off excess batter. Make sure your grease is hot and you have a big enough skillet that they have room. When they hit the hot grease, they need to start rolling. Sometimes you might have to help get them started by using tongs and twirling the protruding stick, but if the grease is at the right temp, they should start on their own. Just make sure they do roll or else you'll end up with lop-sided, funny looking and sometimes too much crust on one side.

Like I said earlier, if the batter becomes too stiff, just add some more milk to it. Easy does it though or you can wind up with it too thin.

Lots of times, I don't cook but a few corny dogs up, so have batter left over. I save it in the refrigerator for use the next day and always have to add some milk to it then to thin it back down.

Personally, I think this is just one of those things that sometimes takes a little practice. Don't give up on it, you be happy you conquered it and your kids will dang sure be happy! Can you hear it now. . . please, Mommy, please, can you fix corny dogs?

Believe me, you can do this and they are so much better than the frozen, store-bought ones.

Good luck!
I wanted to thank you for the recipe. It was a big hit !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes