Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 04:29 PM

1,566 posts, read 2,159,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFoulke View Post
Yup.....but the ones I will never make again are because they taste awful, not because of any of the prep steps. Sometimes something sounds good but just never really comes together like I was expecting.
Totally - this is me too. If it tastes great, I will make it again...maybe not right away, but the prep will be worth it. If it doesn't taste good, or comes out bad..you won't see me repeating it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 04:33 PM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almrausch View Post
For me it is making hand made Spätzle,tiny little noodle. So much work is involved. I remember from my childhood,we always had it in Germany. So I thought I continue this labor of love. My family eats them,but they say store bought pasta is better.

German Spaetzle Dumplings Recipe - Allrecipes.com This is how I do it...
I know, right? I once really wanted the pasta maker attachment to my Kitchenade mixer. I learned very quickly that pasta is cheap and its too much trouble to make.

Old 06-19-2013, 04:35 PM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
I have tried making some Chinese food, but I have decided its not worth the trouble.

Old 06-19-2013, 04:49 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,190,340 times
I'm a pretty good country comfort cook but once in awhile I stray and try a new recipe for my favorite foods. I saw a baked southern mac & cheese from Trisha Yearwood on the net gave it a try not even the dog would eat it. My kids told me to never stray from my baked mac & cheese again.

Old 06-19-2013, 05:17 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,816,044 times
Pot Stickers -- they were delicious, but what a pain in the . It took so long folding up all those little bundles that I was too tired to enjoy them afterward. I have a back problem that makes it difficult for me to stand for long periods of time and that was way too long. Hubby was a good helper, though.

Old 06-19-2013, 06:37 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,824,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Hate to admit it because I love to cook, but nearly anything that REQUIRES careful measuring of the ingredients. Obviously, this means I don't bake at all!

This also causes issues when someone asks me for a recipe, which in all modesty, does happen somewhat often.
I bake somewhat as in it's butt ugly but tastes really good. I don't measure either and do most things by taste. Works out so far.

Old 06-19-2013, 07:24 PM

20,937 posts, read 28,432,613 times
My mom's brioche muffins. They are very buttery and time consuming to make. It's a yeast dough and they rise 3 different times. It takes all day to make 25 muffins. The have a little nub on top which should be the size of a ping pong but mine were half that size. They were tasty but not like my mom's. She's been making them for 30 years. I did this last year for Easter dinner, never again.

Old 06-19-2013, 08:48 PM

5,014 posts, read 6,605,097 times
I always wanted to try Belgian endive, thought it would be such an elegant dish. Got a Julia Child cookbook with photos and step-by-step for braised Belgian endive, saw some gorgeous ones in the market, and set about making the dish. Everything was spot on perfect, looked just like the pictures, etc. Finally done, I plated up and got a big forkful....

They taste just like Brussels sprouts. And that's one of the few vegetables I detest.

All that work, for Brussels sprouts. Blech!

Old 06-21-2013, 08:03 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
I did. Yesterday. It came out wonderfully and it tastes great. I will never make it again, unless someone pays me!

It was a blueberry cheesecake type bread and it is great, but there is just too much involved. What put me over the edge was the egg whites. Bring them to firm peaks.

Maybe if I have a free-standing mixer. Then I would do it. Hand held...no way.

Anyone else have something they really like but wouldn't wish the prep on their worst enemy?
you wouldn't want to know how many I have tried I would never do again: yes, sometimes just too much work and other times just a flop...It makes me wonder, is it me? Am I a worse cook than I thought or do others have different ideas of what is good. I will see a recipe in a book or magazine, get all excited, fix it and then get excited cause I get to throw it away and everyone claps.

isishiis: gee, that turkey dish sounds yummy. I guess that is just what I am talking about: sounds great, tastes not great!!!!

Old 06-21-2013, 08:05 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almrausch View Post
For me it is making hand made Spätzle,tiny little noodle. So much work is involved. I remember from my childhood,we always had it in Germany. So I thought I continue this labor of love. My family eats them,but they say store bought pasta is better.

German Spaetzle Dumplings Recipe - Allrecipes.com This is how I do it...
yep, no the actual Spatzles, but even regular noodles. I just tried them about 2 weeks ago. To get them thin enough wasn't worth it and to cook them thick as some were (not all of them) I might as well have just make dumplings. I will stick with the packaged ones. I think I can afford the $1 once in awhile. I know, I know, they are not as good, but they have served us well for years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes