Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2014, 09:17 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times

Advertisements

OK, I love quinoa and think it's a great source of protein and other nutrients. I have two basic, and VERY tasty twists on quinoa that I'll share:

For both of them, I let the quinoa soak in water for three days (changing the water out each day). This allows it to sprout.

Then I cook it in slightly salted water for just a few minutes and drain it. I let it cool, or I run cold water through it again.

In both recipes I use finely chopped onions or shallots, halved cherry tomatoes, and sliced almonds. The rest is open to interpretation! My two favorite twists on this basic recipe are Cajun/Tex Mex and Italian. Here goes:

After you mix up the above ingredients (in whatever portions you prefer), add a sprinkling of olive oil. You can also sprinkle in some balsamic vinegar - YUM.

For Cajun/Tex Mex - add chopped pickled jalapenos, Tony Chachere's Cajun seasoning (or your favorite Tex Mex seasoning), and fresh cilantro.

For Italian, add Italian herbs - fresh is best.

Refrigerate overnight for the best flavor. I like to chop up romaine lettuce and put this on top and then sprinkle a bit of balsamic vinegar on top. YUM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2014, 10:17 PM

18,026 posts, read 27,475,785 times
My wife made this for me and I made her show me how to do it;

One cup of quinoa in two cups of boiling water, then cook on simmer for about 15 minutes and set aside.

Chop up a few or more green onions, cherry tomatoes, raw spinach if you have it handy, etc., then mix into your quinoa this stuff and;

1/4 cup evoo
some salt to taste,
pepper to taste,
cumin to taste,
corriander or chop up cilantro and throw in at the end,
chili powder,
cayenne powder,
juice from a lemon
cooked black beans

mix up and you can eat this cold or hot, stuff peppers or portabello mushrooms with it, etc.

Old 03-18-2014, 11:09 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,918,080 times
I found that I can use quinoa instead of couscous in most recipes. Now I have a plethora of new recipes to try, since I don't use couscous much (and why do they put couscous under the grain category in so many books? It's not a grain! ). I did a bake with cooked quinoa, diced tomatoes, sauteed onions, pine nuts, spinach, and a little mozzarella. Everyone loved it.

Old 03-18-2014, 11:18 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,164,638 times
Default Great Recipe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
My wife made this for me and I made her show me how to do it;

One cup of quinoa in two cups of boiling water, then cook on simmer for about 15 minutes and set aside.

Chop up a few or more green onions, cherry tomatoes, raw spinach if you have it handy, etc., then mix into your quinoa this stuff and;

1/4 cup evoo
some salt to taste,
pepper to taste,
cumin to taste,
corriander or chop up cilantro and throw in at the end,
chili powder,
cayenne powder,
juice from a lemon
cooked black beans

mix up and you can eat this cold or hot, stuff peppers or portabello mushrooms with it, etc.
I really like this recipe because it doesn't have a lot of ingredients and it sounds easy to make. I also have a can of black beans that I didn't know what to do with and now I have just the right dish to use it in. When I read recipes I "cook" it in my imagination and I taste it, too - it's delicious! Thanks for the recipe!

Old 03-20-2014, 07:10 PM

336 posts, read 575,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
OK, I love quinoa and think it's a great source of protein and other nutrients. I have two basic, and VERY tasty twists on quinoa that I'll share:

For both of them, I let the quinoa soak in water for three days (changing the water out each day). This allows it to sprout.

Then I cook it in slightly salted water for just a few minutes and drain it. I let it cool, or I run cold water through it again.

In both recipes I use finely chopped onions or shallots, halved cherry tomatoes, and sliced almonds. The rest is open to interpretation! My two favorite twists on this basic recipe are Cajun/Tex Mex and Italian. Here goes:

After you mix up the above ingredients (in whatever portions you prefer), add a sprinkling of olive oil. You can also sprinkle in some balsamic vinegar - YUM.

For Cajun/Tex Mex - add chopped pickled jalapenos, Tony Chachere's Cajun seasoning (or your favorite Tex Mex seasoning), and fresh cilantro.

For Italian, add Italian herbs - fresh is best.

Refrigerate overnight for the best flavor. I like to chop up romaine lettuce and put this on top and then sprinkle a bit of balsamic vinegar on top. YUM.
This sounds great!!! I use a lot of quinoa but have never thought of sprouting it. Thanks, Kathryn!!!

Old 03-25-2014, 07:37 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,672,937 times
Thanks for posting.

I'm probably too simple, we just cook it in chicken broth with a little onion and chopped celery. Anything goes after that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes