Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 05:46 PM

20,953 posts, read 28,482,151 times

Advertisements

Anyone have a good recipe?? This will be cooked on a weber NG grill with smoker attachment. Need recommendations for wood chips as well. Also a BBQ sauce recipe. I want to make pulled pork. I did a boneless one in the crock pot but want to try something different. I was told 8 hours on indirect heat? I have one bbq sauce recipe but looking for others. I don't like vinegar based sauces.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2017, 10:58 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,899,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
...I was told 8 hours on indirect heat?...
It depends on the weight of the meat and the cooking temperature. I cook at 225°F until the internal temperature of the meat is 190°F. There's a point, at around 165°F, where the temperature will "stall." This is also the point at which some people will wrap the meat in foil for moisture retention (I don't). Avoid that billowy white/yellow smoke (that adds creosote to the surface of the meat), and aim for thin wispy blue smoke (that's flavor).

I'll let someone else chime-in with a sauce recipe. I start with a dry rub, apply a baste towards the end, add a dressing sauce, and provide two serving sauces (one sweet, one spicy).

I've BBQed so many of these that they practically hop into the BBQ pit and cook themselves now.

Good luck

Old 05-25-2017, 12:17 AM

6,166 posts, read 4,545,617 times
This is my favorite, and don't laugh because it's off Food Network. It's Tyler Florence, meat rub and sauce recipe, and you have to like it piquant, because it's tangy. It has vinegar, but the mustard is more noticeable to me. You'd have to adjust from oven to smoker, but the flavor of the rub and sauce together are what makes the recipe worthwhile.

Pulled Pork Barbecue Recipe | Tyler Florence | Food Network

Old 05-25-2017, 11:05 AM

5,907 posts, read 6,984,542 times
Quote:
Anyone have a good recipe??
Lots of knowledgeable folks over on the BGE Forum. Here is one method for a Turbo Butt
Fast Cook (Turbo) Butt

Quote:
Need recommendations for wood chips as well. Also a BBQ sauce recipe.
This guide has an overview of the various woods used for smoking (next to last page) as well as a recipied for sauce. I usually use hickory chunks.
http://www.amazenproducts.com/v/vspf...NUserGuide.pdf

Quote:
I don't like vinegar based sauces.
That's too bad, as those are my favorite.

Old 05-25-2017, 12:50 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,767,400 times
I've been doing my pork shoulder in the slow cooker for so long I can't imagine doing it on a grill.

Old 05-25-2017, 05:51 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,899,936 times
There's a trick some BBQ caterers will do (I had to do it once because of the weather), and the end product is just about as good as full-time on the pit. You can BBQ/smoke the pork butt(s) for six hours, until they've absorbed a decent amount of smoke (you'll even have a smoke ring), then wrap them in foil and place them in a pre-heated 200°F-225°F oven overnight to finish the cooking.

Old 05-26-2017, 04:50 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,888,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
This is my favorite, and don't laugh because it's off Food Network. It's Tyler Florence, meat rub and sauce recipe, and you have to like it piquant, because it's tangy. It has vinegar, but the mustard is more noticeable to me. You'd have to adjust from oven to smoker, but the flavor of the rub and sauce together are what makes the recipe worthwhile.

Pulled Pork Barbecue Recipe | Tyler Florence | Food Network
If it is a Tyler Florence recipe it almost has to be good. He might be my favorite meat guy ever on Food Network. That being said, we generally use a rub first and after a few hours start with the wet sauce. I like pretty much what he is saying, using bourbon, mustard, vinegar a little brown sugar, but we do not like ours sweet. I know some do. As for temp spoiled brat usually sets it about 225 degrees.

Our favorite Memorial Weekend is Brisket but this year it is just too darned pricey. $3 or more a lb even at Sam's.

Old 05-26-2017, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
I've been doing my pork shoulder in the slow cooker for so long I can't imagine doing it on a grill.
try smoking it. Yes, we use the slow cooker method if it is winter, but there is nothing like the flavor of a smoked one.

Old 05-26-2017, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa29 View Post
Find and share everyday cooking inspiration on Allrecipes. Discover recipes, cooks, videos, and how-tos based on the food you love and the friends you follow.

https://goo.gl/xkIilz
Allrecipes is my go to when checking for new ideas via the net. That being said, it isn't the answer to all questions and often I do try other means when looking for some recipes. In fact for grilling, smoking and outdoor cooking I do not depend on them as much.

Old 05-26-2017, 10:01 AM

6,166 posts, read 4,545,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
If it is a Tyler Florence recipe it almost has to be good. He might be my favorite meat guy ever on Food Network. That being said, we generally use a rub first and after a few hours start with the wet sauce. I like pretty much what he is saying, using bourbon, mustard, vinegar a little brown sugar, but we do not like ours sweet. I know some do. As for temp spoiled brat usually sets it about 225 degrees.

Our favorite Memorial Weekend is Brisket but this year it is just too darned pricey. $3 or more a lb even at Sam's.
Bourbon? Not in the recipe I linked to. And it's not in the least sweet, like I said very tangy. I know he has more than one recipe and maybe the video link is the one with bourbon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes