Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 03:48 AM

468 posts, read 483,582 times

Advertisements

I'm Chinese-American,
He's African-American

So I guess I'm looking for "Soul Food" recipes. Or any good 'Soul Food' book, anyone can recommend?
I feel terrible for making him eating Chinese food everyday, I think it torturing him. He said he doesn't mind eating Chinese food, lol but I know he rather eat his culture food instead.

I'm a good cook when it come to my Chinese culture food, but then when it come to his food. Ehh, let be frank I'm terrible at it. I need to practice more.

I did cook him a full table of Fried Chicken Thighs (which is easy to make)
he eat it so many times that I think it become boring now. I wanna try something new for him to eat.

Thank you for all replies, noted and greatly appreciated. Happy New Year to everyone.

------------------------
Thank you Miss Hepburn, all your recipes all sound great!! I'm going to try it.
Thank you again, and Happy New Year to you and your family. God Bless

Last edited by ishe; 12-30-2014 at 04:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2014, 07:42 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ishe View Post
Hello, Happy New Year to all
What are you making for dinner for your S/O, can you share your recipes?

Like cultural dishes recipe that I can cook for my Boyfriend, prefer the homemade stuff.

I'm Asian-American. So to be frank, I'm only good at making Chinese food.
I have no problem cook him 30 different Chinese dishes for the whole month, but I know he rather eat his cultural food instead.

Make him eating 30 days of Chinese food is just torturing him. He said he likes it, but I know he just suck it up, lol
The old stand by of course would be a good steak, mashed or backed potatoes and a green salad. And it really isn't hard.

For us, we are having crab legs and Lobster claws plus a salad and that might be all. I might bake a potato.

The first meal I ever made for spoiled brat, about 57 years ago was stuffed baked pork chops. You can get some good ideas on line. We had wild rice with it and I think waldorf salad. Waldorf salad is so easy. Just chop an apple or two, dice a couple of sticks of celery, and add nuts; I use pecans. Mix together with enough mayo to moisten the salad. Some people like to add crasins or some other dry fruit.

I just read the soul food part, that most of us will not be able to help you with..

Old 12-30-2014, 07:44 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
My husband cooks more than I do, but he loves my rosemary lemon roast chicken and garlic mashed potatoes.
That is another winner. Nothing is better than good lemon roasted chicken with rosemary. Well some things might be, but it is a winner.

Old 12-30-2014, 08:04 AM

48,125 posts, read 21,999,038 times
If you want to cook American style meals and especially dishes from Afro American culture......I suggests that you start with some basics, such as

meat loaf with mashed potatoes or white rice and a vegetable....collard greens would be a good one to start with.

pulled pork ..... a pork shoulder cooked in crock pot for 6-8 hours then shredded with forks and mixed with bbq sauce.
serve this on a sturdy sandwich roll......with cole slaw.

Baked Macaroni and cheese is sure to please.

Have hot sauce on the table for almost everything you cook..... "Crystal" or "Texas Petes" or even Tobasco Sauce

You can make it easy for yourself by looking for collard greens already cut up in the freezer or in bags in the produce deptmt. Cook it very slowly for several hours with some piece of meat ..... for flavor....such as smoked ham hock or turkey neck, or smoked sausage or neck bones. The meat is mostly for flavor, not to cut and serve. I add a little brown sugar to my greens and some red pepper flakes.

White Rice is very popular in Soul Food cuisine......so you are cross cultural in that department. But in China I think you eat rice without sauces......southern cooking may serve it with spicy gravy...utilizing black pepper.

Learning how to make corn bread would be a good idea.....it is served on the side with almost anything.

Good Luck......you will do fine.

Old 12-30-2014, 08:24 AM

24,529 posts, read 10,846,327 times
Why do you not ask his mother to teach you? It may give you some time together, you will learn how to make a few dishes the way he is used to them and she will know that you are trying. Later you can always improve upon your MIl's cooking.

Ask her for a list of ingredients, bring them with you or have them at your house and be ready. Start with easy things. Ask SO what he likes!!!

Old 12-30-2014, 08:28 AM

24,529 posts, read 10,846,327 times
Tonight it will be T-Bone steak, fresh bread, salad, vanilla ice cream and sipping bourbon. SO deals with the steak. All I have to do is make a green salad.

Buy a good quality steak, artisan bread and lettuce. Bottled salad dressing will do fine for starters. Ask SO what kind of steak he likes. Send him off to grill the meat while you put bagged and prewashed lettuce in a bowl, set the table with bread, salad and dressing. Check your make up and wear a pretty outfit. Wine or beer?

Old 12-30-2014, 08:48 AM

468 posts, read 483,582 times
I have asked his mom before, and I help her cook too. I always help her cook, and clean when I'm over her place.
But help help cook is 'help' her cook. When I cook the dishes on my OWN, it just doesn't turn out tastety like his mom cook it, hope I make senes.
I want to try learn recipes and cook it on my own first, practice and practice before let him mom taste it, or let him eat it.

Maybe I'm just worrying too much about cooking him food.
He 29 and born in USA
I'm 30, and I immigrant with my family to USA at age 12
So we both grow up in America

And at his age, I don't think he picky with food.
But I do want to impress his mother though. I don't want to come across that I can't cook his culture food.

This Forum section is GREAT! I can learn alot of different dishes recipes. Perhaps let him try some different cultures food too.
THANK YOU everyone replies for give your recipes, greatly appreciated.

Last edited by ishe; 12-30-2014 at 09:00 AM..

Old 12-30-2014, 09:43 AM

267 posts, read 558,447 times
I would recommend going to an online recipe site like Allrecipes - Recipes and cooking confidence for home cooks everywhere

What I really like there is the ratings and comments from people who have made the recipe in the past and any suggestions they have for customizing it. Most of the time when I make a recipe that others rate highly my wife and I like it too.

Good luck!

Old 12-30-2014, 10:40 AM

351 posts, read 587,006 times
Default Hi ishe...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishe View Post
This Forum section is GREAT! I can learn alot of different dishes recipes. Perhaps let him try some different cultures food too.
THANK YOU everyone replies for give your recipes, greatly appreciated.
Hi ishe , I like to cook different ethnic foods and I love to cook soul food on occassion. A good dish is collard greens with smoked ham hocks. Start with 2 to 3 bunches of collards, fill a sink with water and thoroughly wash the greens.

Then boil a smoked ham hock (or use smoked smoked turkey neck for a healthier version) in a large pot with a covered lid with at least 6 to 8 cups of water with a thinly sliced onion (which you can saute until it's nice and golden brown). Season with 2 parts salt with 1 part sugar to offset the bitterness of the collards. I use 2 tesapoons of salt with 1 teaspoon of sugar. When the ham hock has broken down after about a hour or hour and a half from simmering, I then add the collards. I stack the collards together and roll it into a cynlinder and then I slice into ribbons about 1 inch wide and then add it to the pot. It'll take about another hour or so to cook. I finish it by adding a little hot sauce, freshly grinded black pepper and white vinegar to taste.

I know it's unhealthy, but I love to make "fried" cornbread to eat along with my collards. I love the crispiness of fried cornbread. Other dishes would be mac and cheese. I like the mac and cheese recipes made with a white sauce, rather than those made with eggs.

Pecan pie is also good to serve as a dessert.

I'm posting from work (on my break) and don't have my recipes with me, or I would share more with you. Good luck!

Old 12-30-2014, 10:44 AM

48,125 posts, read 21,999,038 times
Everyone likes pasta.....(Marco Polo brought spaghetti noodles home to Italy from China after his visit of "discovery".)

Seafood pasta is easy if you just buy a good jar of sauce....Marinara..........Just sauté some onion and garlic in olive oil, add the sauce and heat it up.....and then throw in some shrimp and scallops and or mussels in their shells.....cook briefly till shrimp and scallops are done ..... if you add clams or mussels in the shell....wait till they open.....serve on cooked spaghetti with parmesan cheese----garlic bread or a salad would go nicely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes