Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2015, 11:10 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,318,210 times

Advertisements

Last week I bought two avocado on sale. I also bought a can of diced tomato with basil, garlic and oregano from Aldi's. I wanted tomatoes, but I didn't want to cook. I opened the can of diced tomatoes with the Italian seasoning by mistake. Now what?

I took half the avocado, filled it with canned Salmon, and topped it with the canned tomatoes. The next night I used turkey and ham pieces stuffed in the avocado instead of the salmon. It was just as good. Avocado is so mild it can paired with most any food.

It really is amazing what happens when let your inner child "play" with your food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2015, 05:21 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,846,152 times
We do that when we are "cleaning" out the pantry/freezer and I refuse to go to the store until it's empty week.

I get some crazy stuff going on there. Best mix was can of chipotle pepper in adobe and chicken or pork in the crockpot. Really tasty together.

Old 04-17-2015, 08:59 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,476,809 times
I have recently seen where you half an avocado and place an egg where the pit was, season egg and sprinkle a little cheese on top and bake it on a cookie sheet....looks like an interesting, high protein breakfast option.

Old 04-18-2015, 09:39 AM

I don't know that I would bake it. My bro, the chef, fries the egg and places it on the avacado and then tops it with grated cheese. Yummy! he says. Even yummier is the egg yolk without the white!

Old 04-19-2015, 06:37 PM

Today has been overcast, wet and dreary. I decided I wanted vegetable soup with barley soup. but I had no desire to cook.I opened cans of diced tomatoes, beef broth, chicken broth and added one whole onion, two stalks of chopped celery and three sliced carrots. I did not like the flavor. I added a small can of V8, and two dashes of Worcestershire sauce, and nothing else. When it got closer to being ready for the barley I added 6 ounces of sliced fresh button mushrooms. I can add red wine and white pepper and probably a dozen other spices or herbs. Right now this works the way it is. It isn't the same as soup with some type of protein, but it is not bad for a broth with cooked veggies and a little grain. .

The biggest problem cooking with recipes from others is matching the contents. Unfortunately there is a big difference between canned goods. I used Aldi's almost exclusively as it is generally less expensive, plus the contents often list less salt and fats when compared to like products from national purveyors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes