Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 12:03 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,771,960 times

Advertisements

Something not to involved because I am not one to spend a lot of time in the kitchen. But is sounds like once biscuits and gravy are made that they can be put in frig and used quickly again and again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2015, 12:50 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,868,731 times
I open a can of those Pillsbury biscuits, put them in the oven. Fry some sausage, open a packet of country gravy mix, add milk. That's my SIMPLE way of making them.

Old 09-23-2015, 12:57 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,870,119 times
The gravy is simple - fat (including pan drippings from fried chicken, sausage, etc.), flour, milk, salt, pepper.

The real difference is how the biscuits are made. There are lots of ways to make good biscuits but very few ways to make excellent biscuits.

Old 09-23-2015, 01:38 PM

802 posts, read 642,576 times
Hard to make perfect gravy any more, because pork is so lean now.

Good Old Fashioned Sausage Gravy

1 lb sausage (not low fat)
Approx. 2 Tbls flour
Approx. 2 Cups whole milk
Approx 1/8 tsp Crushed Red Pepper (optional)
Salt & pepper to taste
Dash Paprika

Crumble sausage into a cold iron skillet. Cook until browned. Add flour till all the grease is absorbed and thick but not lumpy. (If browned sausage doesn’t have at least 2 tbls of grease, add some shortening, i.e., Crisco, lard, etc., NOT vegetable oil!- or bacon grease until you have at least 2 tbls of grease). Add milk and simmer till thickened. When it's almost done add the crushed red pepper, salt and pepper. When the gravy is done, stir in the paprika. If gravy is too thick, slowly stir in some more milk.

Old 09-24-2015, 08:55 AM

2,894 posts, read 2,451,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngID View Post
Hard to make perfect gravy any more, because pork is so lean now.

Good Old Fashioned Sausage Gravy

1 lb sausage (not low fat)
Approx. 2 Tbls flour
Approx. 2 Cups whole milk
Approx 1/8 tsp Crushed Red Pepper (optional)
Salt & pepper to taste
Dash Paprika

Crumble sausage into a cold iron skillet. Cook until browned. Add flour till all the grease is absorbed and thick but not lumpy. (If browned sausage doesn’t have at least 2 tbls of grease, add some shortening, i.e., Crisco, lard, etc., NOT vegetable oil!- or bacon grease until you have at least 2 tbls of grease). Add milk and simmer till thickened. When it's almost done add the crushed red pepper, salt and pepper. When the gravy is done, stir in the paprika. If gravy is too thick, slowly stir in some more milk.

This is pretty much EXACTLY how I make it when I make it from scratch.

Otherwise, I get a package of Bob Evan's sausage gravy from the store - it's in the refrigerated section - and use that. It makes about one meal for me (I love A LOT of gravy though) and costs $1.25. A small can of Pillsbury biscuits and I'm good to go. I've tried the frozen ones where you can heat up only one or two but meh - they aren't real good. If I get the small tube, it makes five biscuits, I'll end up eating two, and the rest we feed to the birds/squirrels/chipmunks/misc. critters that hang out in my yard.

GFS also sells a BIG package of frozen sausage gravy, and that makes four or five meals for me. That's only $3.00. I just thaw it, heat it, and store the leftovers in the fridge in a bowl.

Old 09-24-2015, 11:16 AM

50,366 posts, read 63,948,892 times
I use the frozen unbaked Pillsbury biscuits, because I think they are better than the tubes. I make about 6 at a time, then just pop them out of the freezer when I want one.

I can only add that I use Jimmy Dean Original, because it leaves the perfect amount of fat and fond in the pan. Brown it slowly. I use 1/4 cup of flour and 2 cups milk, salt and pepper. If it sits awhile, I add a bit more milk.

I get about 4 servings per recipe.

Old 09-24-2015, 08:34 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,771,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
I open a can of those Pillsbury biscuits, put them in the oven. Fry some sausage, open a packet of country gravy mix, add milk. That's my SIMPLE way of making them.
I tried what you said and it wasn't too bad. Not the tastiest but not bad.

Old 09-25-2015, 05:35 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Stop, you guys are making me really hungry. We went to our friends last night, had snacks and a couple glasses of wine, came home, decided we really were not hungry for dinner and decided to forget cooking. Now I am starving.

Old 09-25-2015, 06:46 AM

682 posts, read 718,586 times
I have tried to make homemade gravy several times and it never turns out as good as a mix.
My favorite mix to use is called Southeastern Mills Country gravy mix. I have only found it at Safeway grocery stores but you can find it online here. http://www.amazon.com/Southeastern-M.../dp/B000H2259K

I have tried several others and some of them are just yuck. The southeastern mills kind is like a restaurants.

Old 09-25-2015, 07:38 AM

50,366 posts, read 63,948,892 times
I make a good breakfast casserole with sausage and McCormick Sausage gravy mix. I have never made it plain, but it might be worth a try. It is so easy to make from scratch, though, that I just don't see the need for a mix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes