Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2017, 11:46 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,164,638 times

Advertisements

I looked at images on google and I think they are gizzards, such an unappealing name for something actually very tasty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2017, 01:02 AM

32,944 posts, read 36,386,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
We just boil the liver and cut it into slices. Looks like a sponge texture and sometimes you really have to chew it well. Not my favorite food, but if I was very hungry maybe - I don't really like it at all, truth be told.
Boiled liver? I can't bring myself to dwell on that.

Old 01-02-2017, 01:18 AM

1 posts, read 971 times
Nope nope nope! Uke!

Old 01-02-2017, 06:18 AM

923 posts, read 527,220 times
OP, I've tried a lot of different ways of cooking liver. The best way I've found is to put it on a hook, catch a fish, and eat the fish. That has been my favorite way of eating liver, by far.

Old 01-02-2017, 06:31 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,951,155 times
I loved liver as a child - the way my mother made it. She only used calves liver - soaked it in milk for hours, sauteed onions in butter until they were carmelized, and then cooked the liver in the onion flavored butter. The only time it grossed me out was when I came across a white tendon thing running through it....not sure what that was, and I sure didn't eat it.

Now I won't eat liver for a variety of reasons - the inhumane treatment of calves, and the fact that liver is filter for every toxin in the body. Ugh.

Old 01-02-2017, 07:21 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,263,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Bland? I don't think that's the right word, to me it has a very 'mineral' taste, one I don't find enticing. I make its taste acceptable my keeping it far removed from my plate.

A friend of mine described the taste of liver as "like chewing rusty nails".

I totally agree.

Old 01-02-2017, 07:27 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,218,731 times
Maybe it's an acquired taste. I like it with fried onions occasionally.

Old 01-02-2017, 09:27 AM

19,442 posts, read 27,855,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
Soak liver in milk. While soaking, Saute some onions in butter. Remove onions from pan. Pat liver dry and dip in flour. Fry till done and cover with onions.
This - but "done" is barely medium rare. Nothing worse than grey liver.

Bacon optional, but I prefer a splash of apple cider vinegar just before it's done.

Old 01-02-2017, 10:50 AM

5,341 posts, read 6,525,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
I was never a lover of liver but there might be a way to change that bland taste if bland is the right word for it. Any ideas?
I grew up on Liver but it was chewy and bland, so I've kicked it up a notch

Stuff needed;

Cast or frying pan
13X9 Glass casserole dish
Flour / plastic bag
Butter Milk
1/2lb. of Great Bacon
1 Large Onion
Fresh Ground Black Pepper
Garlic Powder
Cavender's Greek Seasoning

Soak your Liver in Butter Milk at least a half hour. Cook your Bacon half way and set
aside, cook Onions in Bacon grease half way set aside.

Take Liver out of Butter Milk and place on a clean flat surface like a cookie tray, sprinkle
on Garlic Powder & Greek Seasoning both sides while lightly pressing down with a fork.

Take the plastic bag and add flour I'd say a cup to start, then add in the fresh ground
Black Pepper and mix together. Using a fork hook a piece of Liver and place in in the bag
blow some air in the bag and give it a couple of shakes, repeat.

Place Liver in frying pan and brown both sides then pull out and set aside.

Spray your 13X9 with Pam and put the Onions in first then the Liver and top off with Bacon
cover with plastic wrap and put in the microwave for 14min ( mine is a 1250 watt ) so do
the math let it sit for 5mim and enjoy.

I have my butcher cut my Liver a bit on the thick side to avoid the " Chewy " deal and if your
looking for something really different try deep frying with Panko Bread Crumbs

Old 01-02-2017, 12:52 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,419,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
A friend of mine described the taste of liver as "like chewing rusty nails".

I totally agree.
And we all know Rusty Nails are to be put over ice and sipped, not eaten!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes