Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 04:28 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,869,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Has anyone noticed most chocolate cakes from store bakeries do not taste like chocolate at all, they are just brown.
When our daughter was young, and she objected to pumpernickel bread for her sandwich, we told her it was "Chocolate Bread." Problem solved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2017, 07:19 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,326,193 times
Seems like I heard that the cocoa flavor has to be "activated" by heating like a syrup to make it taste better in recipes? Does that sound remotely familiar? Maybe I need to google that. Okay I didn't find it right off but this is a great cocoa piece with great info: Cocoa Powder - Joyofbaking.com

Old 06-15-2017, 08:42 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times
As I feared. Sounds like they are using cheap substitutes instead of 'real' chocolate.

Love the chocolate bread post!

Old 06-16-2017, 04:06 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
As I feared. Sounds like they are using cheap substitutes instead of 'real' chocolate.

Love the chocolate bread post!
What do you mean by real chocolate? Real cocoa is as valid in a recipe as is using melted chocolate.

Old 06-16-2017, 04:14 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I'm sure due to regulations they have to do it...and maybe people also do so at home....but growing up, cakes and fruit pies were always left on the counter, not refrigerated (unless cream-filled or a cream pie). Of course we didn't have desserts often so it would only be for a couple days but people seem to be much more careful now. Pie also has more flavor when not over-chilled.
Commercial recipes are tested to determine whether or not they're shelf stable. Sugar acts as a preservative, but that doesn't work for everything.

I always leave fruit pies on the counter, along with cakes with regular buttercream and fondant icing. Pumpkin pie or cake with cream cheese icing goes in the fridge.

Old 06-16-2017, 12:28 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
What do you mean by real chocolate? Real cocoa is as valid in a recipe as is using melted chocolate.
I bet the brown cakes don't have any real chocolate in them. Cocoa or melted!

Old 06-17-2017, 07:02 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,065,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
What do you use to make a chocolate layer cake?
When I had my own business,
I used to use couverture from France (bon ami), its no longer sold.
Also had a contract for 5000lbs yr with Van Leer chocolate but they're no more.
Cocoa Barry Callebaut bought all the competition out.
Typical recipes I have call for 40 lbs of melted chocolate, I used to leave it in the oven overnite, the pilot light is enough to melt 4 x 10lb slabs perfectly.
I never made typical layer cake, I made genoise or biscuit type sponge but not cake.

I'm an employee today (retiring very soon),
I use boxed mix, thats what people want.
The overwhelming percentage of customers have no idea about pastry. It just never caught on.
Old time American bakers made high ratio cake, devils food is an example.
Today it doesn't make financial sense to bake cake from ingredients, the mixes are very fast, predictable and the customers like it, its crap but they like crap, they want it so we don't fight it.

The number of people I've encountered who really know pastry are few.
Can you tell the difference between a genoise sponge and a buiscuit type ?
French people can, and I mean typical French (teachers, secretaries etc) , not chefs.
That blew me away.

Old 06-19-2017, 10:41 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times
I've studied pastry informally. I know about genoise and other foam cakes. When I need couverture chocolate, I use Guittard. It's good quality at a reasonable price.

Old 06-19-2017, 12:39 PM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
I don't eat cake as a general rule (diabetic) but at my dance class recently someone had a birthday, and they brought in this gorgeous-looking "chocolate" cake that looked so fudgey and good I decided to have a bite....WTF - I could not taste ANY chocolate in it despite it being dark brown. In fact the whole thing just tasted like "sweet foam" to me - ugh.

I occasionally make diabetic-friendly brownies (with Xylitol) and use Hersey's cocoa and let me tell you they are very rich and chocolate-y so I don't know what these bakeries are doing.

Old 06-19-2017, 12:41 PM

22,859 posts, read 6,439,215 times
I've discovered too that some store bought pretty chocolate cakes don't taste that good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes