Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2017, 08:09 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,434,576 times

Advertisements

My father likes to have hot dog day.

He makes chili, not like chili and beans, but for Atlantans who are familiar with the Varsity Restaurant, that kind of chili, where the ground beef is boiled in water and seasoned, no beans.

My NY husband is unimpressed and doesn't like the taste of chili powder.

So in order to appease him and get him to go to hot dog/chili day at my parents, I made NY red onions ala the city hot dog carts that my husband does like.

I don't have a recipe and made them by slicing 3 large Vidalia onions in thick slices, adding catsup, hot sauce, salt/pepper, a pinch of cinnamon, some water. First sauteeing and then boiling/reducing to appropriate consistency for topping hot dogs.

Does anyone have an actual recipe they use for NY red onions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2017, 01:12 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,831,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
My father likes to have hot dog day.

He makes chili, not like chili and beans, but for Atlantans who are familiar with the Varsity Restaurant, that kind of chili, where the ground beef is boiled in water and seasoned, no beans.

My NY husband is unimpressed and doesn't like the taste of chili powder.

So in order to appease him and get him to go to hot dog/chili day at my parents, I made NY red onions ala the city hot dog carts that my husband does like.

I don't have a recipe and made them by slicing 3 large Vidalia onions in thick slices, adding catsup, hot sauce, salt/pepper, a pinch of cinnamon, some water. First sauteeing and then boiling/reducing to appropriate consistency for topping hot dogs.

Does anyone have an actual recipe they use for NY red onions?
Here you go...

Sabretts Onion Sauce For Hot Dogs By Todd Wilbur Recipe - Food.com

or just do it the easy way...

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...l_54z549aah6_b

Old 07-02-2017, 07:42 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,041,107 times
All you need is sweet onion, paprika, some ketchup, water and a pinch of salt. Play around with amounts and cooking time till you get the consistency you like. I have never found a jarred onion sauce that tasted anything like the old timers used to make on the roadside trucks. Now the trucks that are still around used the prepared stuff and it's horrible IMO.

Old 07-02-2017, 02:59 PM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
I always add some lea & perrins Worcestershire sauce to my onion mix.

Old 07-02-2017, 03:36 PM

16,176 posts, read 32,481,285 times
New York Pushcart Onions (For Hot Dogs) Recipe - Allrecipes.com

or

New York Hot Dog Cart Onion Sauce Recipe - Food.com

Old 07-03-2017, 03:55 PM

20,926 posts, read 28,397,897 times
This is what I do. I take 2 or 3 large Vidalia onions leave them whole but cut off the ends and peel them.
I sprinkle them with paprika and put pats of butter on top. Wrap in foil and bake in the oven or on the grill for about 40 minutes. In the oven I cook them on 375 degrees. I sometimes add a little BBQ sauce to the onions before cooking.

Old 07-03-2017, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
The recipe is nothing more than the ingredients for ketchup, so I think I will stick with mine which is easier.

As for the jarred onions, I may try them if I can find what is actually in them. But, I have to say no real Ny'er would pay 8-11 dollars for a jar of onions lol!!!!!!!!! and my husband would have a fit if he found out I did even though we could afford it.

I suspect they have a preservative in them that kills the flavor, but thanks for making me aware of them and I will research further.

Old 07-03-2017, 07:13 PM

Thanks these are similar to what I came up with myself.

Old 07-03-2017, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
This is what I do. I take 2 or 3 large Vidalia onions leave them whole but cut off the ends and peel them.
I sprinkle them with paprika and put pats of butter on top. Wrap in foil and bake in the oven or on the grill for about 40 minutes. In the oven I cook them on 375 degrees. I sometimes add a little BBQ sauce to the onions before cooking.
This sounds tasty, but doesn't sound like the onions found on ny hot dog carts. Do you make these to go on hot dogs or something else?

Old 07-03-2017, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphfr View Post
All you need is sweet onion, paprika, some ketchup, water and a pinch of salt. Play around with amounts and cooking time till you get the consistency you like. I have never found a jarred onion sauce that tasted anything like the old timers used to make on the roadside trucks. Now the trucks that are still around used the prepared stuff and it's horrible IMO.
I agree the jarred sauce usually contains some kind of preservative that alters the taste, much the same as jarred chopped garlic contains citric acid that alters the taste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes