Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 04:21 PM

126,279 posts, read 19,053,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post

I've been using this recipe with the "secret ingredients" for years and it's a little different than your usual cinnamon flavored peach pie. Can't remember where I got it so I looked on line to see if anyone else used it and I see it has currently come from the magazine "Taste of Home."

The woman who sent it in says that she won, not only a blue ribbon, at the country fair with it but also a purple ribbon for Best in Class. That doesn't surprise me as I think it's something a little special.

Yes, my lattice is flawed. I tried a new recipe for crust and in our warm and humid weather yesterday it rapidly became difficult to work with so I cheated a bit. I was fit to be tied by the time I was done.

Peach Pie

5C. peeled and sliced peaches
1C. sugar (I used a bit less.)
2t. lemon juice
1/2 T. orange zest
1/8t. almond extract (I use a little more.)
1/4t. nutmeg
1pinch of salt
1/4C. cornstarch. (The peaches were very juicy and this was a little runny. Usually I use a combination of tapioca starch and cornstarch. I think that sets up better.)

Bake at 400 degrees for 40 minutes with foil around the edges. Then remove foil and bake 10-15 minutes longer. Cool well before slicing.

How do you make your peach pie?
Thank you Lodestar for the recipe.I am going to buy grocery tomorrow and peaches are definitely included.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2017, 06:43 AM

50,376 posts, read 63,993,273 times
That looks beautiful, Lodestar. I bought two nice peaches yesterday, but now I want more for a pie.

Old 08-21-2017, 07:28 AM

12,042 posts, read 8,425,882 times
It's always difficult for me to estimate how many apples or peaches I need for a pie. This recipe called for five cups of sliced peaches and that turned out to be six medium sized peaches.

It would probably help to be the one to buy the groceries but often DH runs that errand.

Of course it wasn't any problem. As long as I was dunking them in scalding water and peeling them I did the other two as well and gave them a light wash in white vinegar and water to keep them from browning, wrapped them and put them in the fridge. The next evening I rinsed them, diced them with a little sugar and cinnamon and we ate them over ice cream.

I talked to a cousin last night and she invited me to a showing of her watercolors next weekend. I told her I'd bring a peach pie for the evening. This will give me a chance to resolve my frustration with the sloppy lattice. I want a perfect pie!

Old 08-21-2017, 07:42 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,896,457 times
I have yet to find a peach this summer that's worthy of being made into a pie. 90% of them have been pulpy and/or gritty when they ripen, even though they taste alright. I remember peaches having firm flesh, kind of between an apple and a pear. Try and find a peach like that these days.

Old 08-22-2017, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
I have yet to find a peach this summer that's worthy of being made into a pie. 90% of them have been pulpy and/or gritty when they ripen, even though they taste alright. I remember peaches having firm flesh, kind of between an apple and a pear. Try and find a peach like that these days.
Sorry to hear. I remember years like that back when I was still canning peaches. One year I even got some that the only way I can describe them is "cottony."

Like I said, I didn't buy these peaches. DH did. But they seemed like Colorado Freestones to me if that helps.

I suppose it matters what part of the country you're in, too. We're in So. MN. Good luck.

Old 08-27-2017, 01:57 PM

26,214 posts, read 49,052,722 times
Here's a recipe for a Spiced Peach concoction with Graham Cracker Crumbs and Oat Crisps.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-27-2017, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Here's a recipe for a Spiced Peach concoction with Graham Cracker Crumbs and Oat Crisps.
That's different, Mike. Using ginger on peaches is a new one for me. And graham cracker crumbs for a crisp is also a clever idea. A crisp can give you much the same flavors as a pie without the extra work of a crust.

The peach pie I served my cousins today had a much tidier crust to my relief but the peaches weren't nearly as ripe and juicy. That made the pie stand up a little taller which always looks nice so there was one new thing I learned.

I'm always hoping for that harmonic convergence of the perfect ingredients, the perfect working conditions and a little bit of luck. Once in a while I'll hit the jackpot. Usually that's a time when it's an everyday thing and just the two of us are eating with no ceremony necessary.

Old 09-03-2017, 01:26 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,763,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn-fused View Post
Darn it, you made me salivate for peach pie but I don't have any peaches so I was forced to make some sugar-free black bean fudgy brownies instead. I hope you know that this is all your fault!

That will NEVER satisfy a yen for peach pie. You'll just have to eat the brownies and then invest in a sack of peaches and go to work.

Old 09-03-2017, 01:42 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,705,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
That will NEVER satisfy a yen for peach pie. You'll just have to eat the brownies and then invest in a sack of peaches and go to work.
Oh, I agree! And it didn't satisfy the yen. But sometimes you just don't have a choice.

And, a few days later I did go out and buy some nice peaches and made a peach crumble that was delish!

Old 09-05-2017, 04:47 PM

20,936 posts, read 28,432,613 times
I made a peach cobbler yesterday using frozen peaches, it's what I had on hand at the last moment.

I'll post a picture later
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes