Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 02:26 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,530,502 times

Advertisements

Any kind of bean soup, made in the crockpot. Rinse the beans, soak them overnight, in the morning add a ham hock (the local “country store” where I live sells good ones, most supermarkets sell them), 2-6 or more carrots cut bite-sized, an onion or 2 cut into quarters, garlic & pepper. If you have any over-ripe tomatoes, throw them in, too. Sometimes I will add a can of crushed tomatoes to substitute for some of the water. I like green peas (I think technically they are legumes, not beans), navy beans, pinto beans, black beans, red beans, lima beans, the 6 or 12-beans mixtures, anything except kidney beans, & the latter is just personal preference.

Make sure that the pot is filled to the top with liquid, beans soak it up a lot. Turn on the crockpot & it’s ready for dinner. Salt usually doesn’t need to be added, as the ham hocks take care of that.

Where I live, a one-pound bag of beans costs 59-99 cents, but it’s even cheaper if you want to buy in bulk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2017, 02:36 AM

671 posts, read 445,773 times
Cheesy potato soup!

Ingredients
∙ Makes 9
Meat
1 lb Bacon, thick-sliced
Produce
1 cup Celery
1 tbsp Garlic
6 cups Russet potatoes
1 Scallions
1 White onion, diced (2 cups)
Canned Goods
3 cups Chicken broth, low-sodium
Condiments
1 tbsp Mustard, dry
1 tsp Tabasco sauce
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
Baking & Spices
2 tbsp All-purpose flour
2 tsp Paprika
1 Salt
Dairy
4 cups Cheddar, sharp
2 cups Half-and-half

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/f0/55/2d/f...cd59d86901.jpg

Last edited by Beretta; 10-21-2017 at 10:03 AM..

Old 10-18-2017, 02:49 AM

2,081 posts, read 5,598,734 times
Chicken and dumplings with cloves.

Old 10-18-2017, 02:51 AM

671 posts, read 445,773 times
Y'all need to give ingredients so we can make what yer making.

Old 10-18-2017, 03:43 AM

2,081 posts, read 5,598,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieKarm View Post
Y'all need to give ingredients so we can make what yer making.
For chicken and dumplings? 1 cut up stewing hen or 3-4 pounds any kind of chicken. Put in a large greased or buttered deep pan or kettle, brown the chicken. Salt, pepper, bay leaf. Add 3 chunked carrots, 1 large chunked onion, 3 chunked stalks celery, 4 chunked potatoes. Add enough water and chicken bullion or chicken broth to cover veggies, Add garlic or powder and a few cloves. Simmer 'til the veggies are tender. Maybe add some green peas. Add a cup of milk. Make a small batch of drop biscuits from scratch or box (I know, not really one pot). Drop in dollops onto stew and cook about 20 minutes. This works with beef pot roast too.

Last edited by leilaniguy; 10-18-2017 at 03:54 AM..

Old 10-18-2017, 08:27 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,863,660 times
Like the beans soups too...usually buy the mixed beans of 500 or so types (well it seems like 500).....and then cook your way. Yum and good for you.

Except can you be beaned to death?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post
Any kind of bean soup, made in the crockpot. Rinse the beans, soak them overnight, in the morning add a ham hock (the local “country store” where I live sells good ones, most supermarkets sell them), 2-6 or more carrots cut bite-sized, an onion or 2 cut into quarters, garlic & pepper. If you have any over-ripe tomatoes, throw them in, too. Sometimes I will add a can of crushed tomatoes to substitute for some of the water. I like green peas (I think technically they are legumes, not beans), navy beans, pinto beans, black beans, red beans, lima beans, the 6 or 12-beans mixtures, anything except kidney beans, & the latter is just personal preference.

Make sure that the pot is filled to the top with liquid, beans soak it up a lot. Turn on the crockpot & it’s ready for dinner. Salt usually doesn’t need to be added, as the ham hocks take care of that.

Where I live, a one-pound bag of beans costs 59-99 cents, but it’s even cheaper if you want to buy in bulk.

Last edited by Beretta; 10-21-2017 at 10:04 AM..

Old 10-18-2017, 08:28 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,863,660 times
Omg, YES

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieKarm View Post
Cheesy potato soup!

Ingredients
∙ Makes 9
Meat
1 lb Bacon, thick-sliced
Produce
1 cup Celery
1 tbsp Garlic
6 cups Russet potatoes
1 Scallions
1 White onion, diced (2 cups)
Canned Goods
3 cups Chicken broth, low-sodium
Condiments
1 tbsp Mustard, dry
1 tsp Tabasco sauce
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
Baking & Spices
2 tbsp All-purpose flour
2 tsp Paprika
1 Salt
Dairy
4 cups Cheddar, sharp
2 cups Half-and-half

Last edited by Beretta; 10-21-2017 at 10:04 AM..

Old 10-18-2017, 08:40 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,587,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Is it a soup, stew, chili, pasta/sauce...containing protein, veggies, even a starch for a complete meal in one pot?

Share your secret wonder
I love stir fry. You can throw just about anything in it, and it's easy and quick. And usually tastes yummy. Chicken, green beans, chick peas, broccoli, onions, peppers, some kind of sauce...anything I have on hand.

My second is chicken soup, if I have broth and chicken on hand. Chicken, broth, and anything else I have that will go well. It tastes better the second day and even freezes well.

Old 10-18-2017, 08:49 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,222,724 times
Chili is my favorite, absolute easiest meal. Some browning of a little ground beef, some onion, lots of garlic in mine some chopped peppers (jalapanoes, green and red pepper) can of tomatoes, can of paste, jar of salsa, can of kidney, can of black beans, small can of corn, chili powder from new mexico, some other spices; paprika, black pepper, hot pepper flakes, etc etc. let her go

I make a big batch, have some freeze the rest.

Old 10-18-2017, 09:01 AM

1,387 posts, read 1,072,389 times
Brown a pound and a half of 80/20 hamburger, add 1/2 to 3/4 cup each of chopped onions and green pepper. Add an 8-ounce can of tomato sauce, and a 15-16 ounce can of whole peeled tomatoes (liquid and all). Blend in a heaping cup of macaroni, plus a teaspoon of salt and one of chili powder, along with tablespoon of sugar. Cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes. Uncover and add 8-10 ounces of sour cream. Stir and let it all come up to temperature. It's easy, cheap, and delicious. Great for children of all ages. It tastes even better reheated in a little butter the second day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes