Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2018, 03:57 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,089,700 times

Advertisements

Do you cook with it? I make a mean Cochinita Pibil using the paste with fresh sour orange juice, garlic and a few other spices. In stead of slicing the pork butt, I did the whole butt wrapped in banana leaves and foil. I took it to an internal temp of 205F to be able to "pull" it. Maintained a cooking temperature of 225F on the BGE. Once rested, we started to pull it and were afraid there wouldn't be any left for the tacos, as we were shoving handfuls of it into our mouths as we pulled it! I've made a Mexican lasagna that uses achiote and several Puerto Rican dishes that use it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2018, 11:30 AM

16,428 posts, read 12,555,016 times
I use achiote seeds to make a Chamorro side that we call Red Rice (it’s really more orange TBH, but I guess Orange Rice doesn’t roll off the tongue.). Soak the seeds in warm water to extract the color and flavor. Then we use the water to prepare white rice, sometimes adding sautéed onions and/or bacon.

Old 05-12-2018, 12:15 PM

2,481 posts, read 2,241,958 times
mi esposa is Puertorriqueña...so yeah, we use it a lot...I especially like it in Asopao.

love that stuff..it is addictive, so is Adobo seasoning and sofrito.

First time I had cilantro in 1995 was at a 'meet the familia dinner'
I said ( to myself, of course ) ...'Dayum! this stuff tastes like soap.'

Now I put it in salads, stews, lasagna, etc... snip it with scissors as a garnish on Pasta Carbonara ...
¡Dios Mio! can't get enough of that green leaf.

Last edited by mr.magoo; 05-12-2018 at 12:29 PM..

Old 05-12-2018, 04:08 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,535,380 times
I used to marinate chicken tenders in achiote and lime juice and then grill them and serve with tortillas, chopped onon, and lime wedges.

They were really pretty - red with black stripes.

Old 05-12-2018, 07:19 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,962,314 times
I use it for both chicken and pork. You can actually get achiote-marinated chicken at the local grocery stores, if you aren’t in the mood for orange hands .

Old 05-13-2018, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.magoo View Post
mi esposa is Puertorriqueña...so yeah, we use it a lot...I especially like it in Asopao.

Now I put it in salads, stews, lasagna, etc... snip it with scissors as a garnish on Pasta Carbonara ...
I'm surprised you acquired a taste for cilantro after saying that to yourself. Do you use culantro? I'm also a big fan of adobo and make sofrito for several Cuban dishes. Have you ever used fresh epazote in Mexican food?

Old 05-13-2018, 06:19 AM

2,481 posts, read 2,241,958 times
Culantro, si, epazote, no.
must try.

This helps explain the 'soap' connection.
Glad I got over the hurdle.
https://www.britannica.com/story/why...to-some-people

Old 05-13-2018, 11:14 AM

4,192 posts, read 3,413,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.magoo View Post

Always tasted like soap but that didn't stop me.

I have some growing now on a windowsill.

Old 05-13-2018, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I used to marinate chicken tenders in achiote and lime juice and then grill them and serve with tortillas, chopped onon, and lime wedges.

They were really pretty - red with black stripes.
Have you ever used sour orange juice?

Old 05-13-2018, 11:49 AM

1,956 posts, read 1,526,194 times
Default Cilantro or Culantro

I confuse both. I wish I could get some seeds......not available where I have looked for them. In this way, I can see the plants in front of my eyes...........

How about Annato (ACHIOTE?) Is it a plant or a tree? Thank you,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes