Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2018, 12:13 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,839,563 times

Advertisements

We love this in the summer. I don't bother with "salting" (to remove excess liquid), either. I use the smaller gherkins, which are more tender and have fewer seeds than garden cucumbers. I don't care for the seedless (English) variety. Even when seeds might, for example, make potato salad watery, I simply spoon them out of the cukes.

The nice thing about cucumber salad is how versatile it is. I've had it with onions, but kids turn their noses up at that, so I omit those. I use a simple vinaigrette of vinegar, lime juice, sugar, and cilantro (no oil). I like how crisp and fresh it is. And not too sweet.

How about you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2018, 12:23 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,874,855 times
Oh love it...planted the pickling cucumbers, 2 for one person, should be plenty... as I too don't care for garden cucumbers...

lime juice sounds like a really fresh addition. I make mine different depending on what's available at home.

Sometimes just rice wine vinegar, or white wine vinegar, pinch sugar, seasoned salt and pepper.

Other times onions, cucumbers, oil and vinegar and fresh dill....also like the tomato, cucumber and onion salad, with oil and balsamic vinegar.

I too like the cucumber sauce Greek tzatziki...so refreshing with shredded fresh cucumbers, yogurt etc.

Good thread...

Old 05-24-2018, 12:44 PM

126,288 posts, read 19,066,107 times
I love cucumber salads......
cucumber sliced finely or diced
yogurt
dill
pinch of sugar
lemon juice

OR
cucumber
yogurt
pinch of salt
red or green chili
cilantro
roasted cumin seeds

OR
cucumber
salt/black pepper
red chili pepper
lemon juice
mint leaves

OR
cucumbers
cashews
mint
olive oil
lemon juice
salt/sugar/black pepper
grated ginger
ground fennel seeds

OR
cucumbers
red or Vidalia onion
curly parsley or cilantro
olive oil
salt/black pepper
vinegar of your choice

Old 05-24-2018, 12:57 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,874,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almrausch View Post
I love cucumber salads......
cucumber sliced finely or diced
yogurt
dill
pinch of sugar
lemon juice

OR
cucumber
yogurt
pinch of salt
red or green chili
cilantro
roasted cumin seeds

OR
cucumber
salt/black pepper
red chili pepper
lemon juice
mint leaves

OR
cucumbers
cashews
mint
olive oil
lemon juice
salt/sugar/black pepper
grated ginger
ground fennel seeds

OR
cucumbers
red or Vidalia onion
curly parsley or cilantro
olive oil
salt/black pepper
vinegar of your choice
Thanks, alm... Will try the chili pepper one, as I have fresh mint now...

Old 05-24-2018, 02:20 PM

2,481 posts, read 2,237,674 times
oh yeah, big fan of Mizeria...

This is pretty much close to my Maternal Polish Grandmother's (Bacia) recipe, but she always added some sliced onions too..
Her cucumbers and onions were paper thin...I use a hand slicer to get them as thin as possible.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...ing-slicer.jpg
Gotta have fresh Dill.
http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/...mizeria-344693

My wife who is Latina always snips some fresh cilantro on top of hers as a garnish.

Last edited by mr.magoo; 05-24-2018 at 02:30 PM..

Old 05-24-2018, 02:46 PM

2,481 posts, read 2,237,674 times
My brother who lives in Honolulu, taught at an American School in Thailand for a year...

He makes this amazing Thai Cuke salad that so tasty, but so freaking hot it will cause third degree burns to your lips..

'Broke da mouth' as they say in Hawai'an pidgin talk..which means 'it is good' (right Mikala?)
but it is soooo hot it 'breaks the mouth' by it's heat factor too.
Not sure what type hot peppers he uses, they are tiny and red...and lethal.

they will burn you a second time too..nudge nudge wink wink.

I know the recipe has rice vinegar, sugar and salt... the sliced 'Demon' peppers, lots of fresh cilantro, and he seeds the cukes, and rather than slice them, he cuts them in chunks.

He then garnishes the salad with crushed peanuts.,

When you first take a forkful, you taste the sweetness of the sugar, the salt, the tart of the vinegar, the cilantro freshness, the crunch of the peanuts, and the cukes...

Then the burning heat of those peppers coms on like a Pearl Harbor Sneak attack to your face...
But you always seem to go for a second bite.

Pain and Pleasure to be sure..

Last edited by mr.magoo; 05-24-2018 at 02:56 PM..

Old 05-24-2018, 09:09 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,133,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.magoo View Post
My brother who lives in Honolulu, taught at an American School in Thailand for a year...

He makes this amazing Thai Cuke salad that so tasty, but so freaking hot it will cause third degree burns to your lips..

'Broke da mouth' as they say in Hawai'an pidgin talk..which means 'it is good' (right Mikala?)
but it is soooo hot it 'breaks the mouth' by it's heat factor too.
Not sure what type hot peppers he uses, they are tiny and red...and lethal.

they will burn you a second time too..nudge nudge wink wink.

I know the recipe has rice vinegar, sugar and salt... the sliced 'Demon' peppers, lots of fresh cilantro, and he seeds the cukes, and rather than slice them, he cuts them in chunks.

He then garnishes the salad with crushed peanuts.,

When you first take a forkful, you taste the sweetness of the sugar, the salt, the tart of the vinegar, the cilantro freshness, the crunch of the peanuts, and the cukes...

Then the burning heat of those peppers coms on like a Pearl Harbor Sneak attack to your face...
But you always seem to go for a second bite.

Pain and Pleasure to be sure..
I love that salad! But as others have posted, there are so many ways to enjoy delicious cukes, especially fresh out of the garden. Cukes, thin sliced sweet onions, rice or white vinegar, pinch of sugar, maybe some fresh mint. Always quick and good!

Last edited by Taz22; 05-24-2018 at 10:16 PM..

Old 05-24-2018, 09:53 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,573,964 times
I love cucumber salad but my favorite cucumber dish is a sandwich.
Toasted bagel, add cream cheese, sliced cucumber, sliced tomato and sliced vidalia onion. Add salt and pepper and a few shakes of a good Italian dressing. YUM!

Old 05-25-2018, 03:51 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,085,566 times
Love spicy Asian cucumber salad using Persian cucumbers.

Old 05-25-2018, 03:57 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,549,632 times
cucumbers thinly sliced,
In a small bowl, mix sour cream, mayo, salt, pepper and most important: DILL and chives (can also add part of a package of Ranch dressing to the sour cream/mayo) Add to cukes and enjoy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes