Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 08:56 PM

820 posts, read 972,968 times

Advertisements

Well, I finally was able to cook a rare steak tonight. It was an exceptionally thick ribeye, and I put it on for 3 minutes on each side. It actually came out more red than pink in some spots but either way is exactly how I like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2018, 06:03 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxblue100 View Post
Well, I finally was able to cook a rare steak tonight. It was an exceptionally thick ribeye, and I put it on for 3 minutes on each side. It actually came out more red than pink in some spots but either way is exactly how I like it.

bravooo!!!!

rib eye is a good selection
as is a sirloin strip, tenderloin a t bone/porterhouse..
these are structure muscles.(along the backbone)..not working muscles.

the working muscles are the hind quarter (round) and front quarter (chuck)
they can be tough steak....need to be tenderized or sliced thin. or roasted/slow cooked for a while

top three grades are prime/choice/select based mostly on marbling- of course prime is going to cost the most and leaner select grades the least..
just my 2 cents

steaks are one of my favorites foods in life

Old 07-16-2018, 11:58 AM

802 posts, read 643,119 times
I season my steaks the day before, salt, fresh ground pepper, garlic powder. Refrigerate, uncovered, on a rack over a sheet pan overnight and most of the next day. Pull out about an hour before grilling. Get the grill screaming hot, drop the steaks, drizzle with melted butter to get the flames kissing that steak! Close the lid for one minute. Flip and repeat. Plate, cover, and rest for 5 minutes. Perfect char, for me, and perfectly medium rare. Do this with ribeye, T-bone, pork steaks and lamb.

Old 07-16-2018, 06:00 PM

1,939 posts, read 2,163,725 times
My husband is a master of the charcoal Weber, but I prefer steaks I've prepared on cast iron to the ones coming off the grill. Either way, I make sure they are room temp and very dry before preparing - I set them on paper towels and with paper towels on top for about an hour before cooking. I season only with kosher salt. On a screaming hot seasoned cast iron pan I sear for about 1 minute per side (depends on thickness though), and throw in the oven for 2 mins at 450 degrees. Perfect steak. And another advantage to this method is you can de-glaze and make a quick pan sauce while your steak rests. Yum!!

I love our Weber. Just not for steak.

Old 07-16-2018, 07:29 PM

17,746 posts, read 9,202,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
For me the best is a finger touch method.

Absolutely.

OP, the problem is that your steaks are thin. The instructions you were given were likely for a thicker steak.

And for the person that said resting time is part of the cooking time - not true.

Old 07-18-2018, 10:23 AM

820 posts, read 972,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Absolutely.

OP, the problem is that your steaks are thin. The instructions you were given were likely for a thicker steak.

And for the person that said resting time is part of the cooking time - not true.
Yeah, I know resting time is separate. I also did use a thicker steak last time and feel like that is better.

Old 07-20-2018, 02:08 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,589,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxblue100 View Post
I just got a new Weber Charcoal grill for my home, and I have twice tried to grill steaks on there. I like my steak medium rare and my cousin even told me the time to cook it on each side for mid-rare, and that's what I did. Both times, I seasoned the steaks (NY Strip) before putting them on, preheated the grill on high heat, then turned the heat down once I put the steaks on and cooked for 5 minutes on each side (with a timer). However, both times the outside of the steak looked promising, but on the inside there was not a trace of pink. I just barely was able to eat it without ketchup. I don't exactly understand what I am doing wrong here. Should I be cooking the steaks for less time on each side? Is there a heating technique that I am getting wrong? I also had left the steaks out for around an hour before cooking and let them rest for about 5 mins. This is exactly what my cousin, a grilling expert, does, and he gets it medium rare every time without fail. I've ruined two good cuts of steak by cooking them until they're gray, and I really am hoping to get it right next time. These steaks were thin, by the way.
Your answer is in your own post, in bold. Thin steaks do not fare well on the grill.

Old 07-20-2018, 06:17 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,235,127 times
I'm trying my first reverse sear tonight. About 1.5" rib eyes, 225 on a pellet grill, then 45-60 sec sear, each side, on a super-hot grill.

Old 07-23-2018, 01:32 PM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Your answer is in your own post, in bold. Thin steaks do not fare well on the grill.
Not for five minutes on each side, at least.

Old 07-30-2018, 07:13 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,235,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
I'm trying my first reverse sear tonight. About 1.5" rib eyes, 225 on a pellet grill, then 45-60 sec sear, each side, on a super-hot grill.
Came out incredibly good!

Attached Thumbnails
Why do my steaks always come out well done even though I time them for medium rare?-20180720_194359.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes