Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2019, 04:25 PM

2,634 posts, read 2,683,775 times

Advertisements

I use something similar to this recipe: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/23...-best-lasagna/. I use half sausage/half beef mixture with the crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, and tomato paste. I make sure to drain the fat from the meat after browning. Then I'll add mushrooms and spinach with all the seasonings. Getting the salt/sugar amount just right is the key. Let it cook 1 1/2 to 2 hours and make sure there isn't too much liquid in the mixture. If you just layer spinach, I feel like it would come out too watery. I add nutmeg to the ricotta and plenty of fennel to my sauce, some people like fennel, some don't. It's best if you can refrigerate overnight, let it sit out an hour before cooking, and then cook.

The V-8 and packaged sauce mix just doesn't sound too appealing to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2019, 04:27 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 19 days ago)

35,670 posts, read 18,045,481 times
Anise is good.

Also, sliced zucchini.

Old 02-25-2019, 04:41 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,077,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
My favorite food in all the world is Lasagne Bolognese, which uses Bolognese meat sauce, Bechamel sauce, and Parmigiano-Reggiano. It's quite a project. You make the sauces and the pasta.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/...no-recipe.html

Here's a simpler recipe that uses box lasagne you don't have to precook; a simple tomato sauce; ricotta, mozzarella, and either Pecorino Romano or Parmigiano-Reggiano (or use both and call it Four Cheese Skillet Lasagne). I have to say I like it almost as much, and it takes about 1/10th the time. FWIW, I use a separate (9" x 13") baking dish rather than trying to only use one pan.

https://www.marthastewart.com/338181...killet-lasagna
You had me at Bechamel.

A long-lost friend of mine once made lasagne with Bechamel sauce and I just about died from the goodness of it. The creaminess of the Bechamel, combined with the tomato base of the meat sauce, was... aaaand I'm drooling. From that point on, so long ago, I realized that there will be no lasagne that will perfectly please me if there's no Bechamel sauce involved.

Old 02-25-2019, 04:57 PM

20,953 posts, read 28,486,217 times
Mushrooms, spinach, zucchini, eggplant.

Old 02-25-2019, 05:53 PM

1,743 posts, read 1,045,248 times
Never had a bechamel based sauce lasagna but it sounds like it would be delicious especially with vegetables.

First did you "fix" the ricotta? We add grated cheese and always pecorino, parsley, an egg and s&p to our ricotta. Second we make a Sunday sauce/gravy whenever we make a lasagna. Since it contains meatballs and sausage and sometimes another pork product there is plenty of flavor going in. Most times we break up some meatballs into the sauce before assembly.

Old 02-25-2019, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphfr View Post
Never had a bechamel based sauce lasagna but it sounds like it would be delicious especially with vegetables.

First did you "fix" the ricotta? We add grated cheese and always pecorino, parsley, an egg and s&p to our ricotta. Second we make a Sunday sauce/gravy whenever we make a lasagna. Since it contains meatballs and sausage and sometimes another pork product there is plenty of flavor going in. Most times we break up some meatballs into the sauce before assembly.
Would this upcoming Sunday be one of those Sundays when you're making lasagne with the meatballs and the sausage and the pork and the flavor? Because I happen to be free this upcoming Sunday... and could whip up a Bechamel sauce while I'm there. Just a thought...

Old 02-25-2019, 06:10 PM

1,743 posts, read 1,045,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Would this upcoming Sunday be one of those Sundays when you're making lasagne with the meatballs and the sausage and the pork and the flavor? Because I happen to be free this upcoming Sunday... and could whip up a Bechamel sauce while I'm there. Just a thought...
No! But maybe for Easter. You'll be the first to know!

Old 02-25-2019, 06:12 PM

Quote:
No! But maybe for Easter. You'll be the first to know!
Yay!!! I'll cancel Passover for that, even though I'm hosting.

To the OP: As much as I like veggies, I'm not sure that spinach or mushrooms or eggplant (and I love all of those things) are going to make it less bland. They'll change the texture, sure, but I don't think you'll get the oomph that you're looking for. Oomph will come from meat and spices, though.

Old 02-25-2019, 06:40 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,853,737 times
Quote:

This is how we’ve always made lasagna.

Old 02-25-2019, 06:51 PM

14,428 posts, read 14,352,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
I make my lasagna with noodles, ricotta and mozarella and parmesan cheese - and sometimes a little cheddar if I don't have enough mozarella - tomato sauce consisting of a couple things, and ground beef.

Hadn't made it in a long time and when I did this week I thought it needed something. Maybe I could have sprinkled oregano between the layers. I'm looking to make it just a little tastier; it seemed pretty bland to us. Any ideas from folk who make their own?
If you are really adventurous try adding spinach (canned), mushrooms, and sour cream.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes