Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 07:53 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,036,872 times

Advertisements

I love cake. I'm not a fan of icing but I love cake. But I can't (i.e. shouldn't) go crazy and buy or make a whole cake so when I saw recipes for mug cakes a few years ago I thought, great, a one-serving cake. That's what I need. I tried a bunch of them and something was always off. Today I saw this post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I have had this one for years and always have a chocolate mug cake for "those" gotta have it moments.

Required:
1 box of any brand cake mix - any flavor, white, yellow, fun-fetti, whatever.
1 box of any brand Angel Food cake mix (the angel food cake is the key to this recipe)
1 gallon size ziploc bag
1 microwave safe mug - (not a tall thin one, more of a standard "squat" one)
1/3 cup measuring cup
1 tbs measuring spoon
1 tooth pick

Optional:
1 re-sealable can of premade frosting
any fruit or berries you like
sprinkles
whip cream

Directions:
Pour both cake mixes into one ziploc gallon bag. Close the bag and then shake! Shake up the cake mixes until they are so well mixed that you can't tell that there are two mixes in there. It should look like one mix. (This mixture can be kept in the fridge or a tight container and used as you want it)
Take 1/3 cup of cake mixture and put it in a microwave safe mug. Add 3 tablespoons of water. Mix it up so that it’s all smooth and there are no clumps. (make sure you scrape the bottom of the mug to get all the mix moist.) You do not need to use butter or PAM on the cup.
Next Microwave for 1 minute on high. The cake should be done, but since microwaves differ in power, you can test by sticking a toothpick in the center of the cake to see if it comes out dry.
If you put two mugs in at one time it may take longer.
At this point your cake is done, and just needs to cool down. I run a knife around the side and turn it out onto a plate, but you can eat it right out of the cup. Plain or with toppings.

And so tonight I went to the grocery store and bought two boxes of cake, just as instructed. I figured that I was wasting my money -- yet ANOTHER mug cake that isn't going to work.

I was wrong. I'm eating it now (right out of the mug). It's a little "springy" because of the angel's food cake (or maybe because the angel's food cake had about 25 more grams in the package than the other cake [devil's food] and I didn't think that would matter). It totally hits the spot. Thanks, nuts2uiam!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2019, 10:46 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,705,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I just checked the Fudge Brownie Pot recipe above- almost 500 calories per mug, 73 grams of carbs, 51 grams of sugars, about 50% of calories from fat. And that's without frosting. What cake is good without frosting?
I would cut the sugar amount by half. The things are cooked in a mug (ramekins are made of the same stuff as mugs) so they won’t collapse like a regular cake or whatever. And instead of frosting, real whipped cream, though that is trading sugar for fat, my preference.

Old 03-15-2019, 05:47 AM

13,056 posts, read 18,121,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I love cake. I'm not a fan of icing but I love cake. But I can't (i.e. shouldn't) go crazy and buy or make a whole cake so when I saw recipes for mug cakes a few years ago I thought, great, a one-serving cake. That's what I need. I tried a bunch of them and something was always off. Today I saw this post:

And so tonight I went to the grocery store and bought two boxes of cake, just as instructed. I figured that I was wasting my money -- yet ANOTHER mug cake that isn't going to work.

I was wrong. I'm eating it now (right out of the mug). It's a little "springy" because of the angel's food cake (or maybe because the angel's food cake had about 25 more grams in the package than the other cake [devil's food] and I didn't think that would matter). It totally hits the spot. Thanks, nuts2uiam!
I think that it is the angel food cake that makes it. Angel food cake is very light and airy and that is how this cake comes out. For those that try this, I put the batter in a tupperware and it stays forever.

Old 03-18-2019, 03:40 PM

20,937 posts, read 28,432,613 times
I also make French toast in a mug.

Old 03-19-2019, 10:22 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I also make French toast in a mug.
Recipe please!

Old 03-19-2019, 10:41 AM

1,619 posts, read 1,102,165 times
I got a red velvet one as a secret santa gift. The cake was not that good but the mug is really nice. I am using it as a bowl to heat up my oatmeal or soup at lunch time.

Old 03-19-2019, 10:50 AM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times
What was the name of the microwave cake and/or brownie mix you could buy, that came with a cardboard pan and baked in like 30 seconds?

I used to call it "Instant Gratification Cake", but I can't remember the name or who manufactured it. This was sometime in the late 80s or early 90s.

Old 03-19-2019, 12:18 PM

1,517 posts, read 991,344 times
I remember those, I think they were from Pillsbury. Mother used to get them in the mid 90s then they just kind of disappeared with no fanfare.

I tried doing mug cake a couple times a few years ago and both times I ended up throwing the entire thing away, mug and all. It's fine, I suppose, if you enjoy eating a brick (I mean, health nutters on this site have confessed to eating cat litter, so...) but I'll just stick with my Betty Crocker boxed mixes baked in a 9*13 pan and smothered in two cans of milk chocolate frosting.

The Rich Angry Health Trolls that have taken over this site will probably lynch me for even thinking of doing that (since it violates their agenda) but for my sweet tooth it's heaven. Whatever. They can keep eating their tasteless organic crap. That just leaves more for me.

Old 03-19-2019, 12:39 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttark View Post
I remember those, I think they were from Pillsbury. Mother used to get them in the mid 90s then they just kind of disappeared with no fanfare.

I tried doing mug cake a couple times a few years ago and both times I ended up throwing the entire thing away, mug and all. It's fine, I suppose, if you enjoy eating a brick (I mean, health nutters on this site have confessed to eating cat litter, so...) but I'll just stick with my Betty Crocker boxed mixes baked in a 9*13 pan and smothered in two cans of milk chocolate frosting.

The Rich Angry Health Trolls that have taken over this site will probably lynch me for even thinking of doing that (since it violates their agenda) but for my sweet tooth it's heaven. Whatever. They can keep eating their tasteless organic crap. That just leaves more for me.
I enjoyed the first two paragraphs of your post.

Old 03-19-2019, 12:39 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,644,793 times
I got a sample of a mug cake while leaving an amusement park. It was good and tasty but has loads of sugar (well, duh).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes