Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2019, 05:17 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,080,849 times

Advertisements

Does anyone remember these "deep" dish pies? We have purchased the heat sinks and pans to make these at home. Since tomorrow is National Pizza Day, we're thinking of making 1 or 2 on the BGE. I believe Pizza Hut discontinued them because of the time and labor to make them. Doubt the profit was within the margins to cover opening the doors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2019, 06:07 AM

215 posts, read 370,639 times
I loved them. I used to work for PH years ago, and would make one for myself, even after they discontinued. I don't see how it was more work, but it used more product. I wish they'd bring that back!

Old 02-08-2019, 06:23 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,080,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponychick View Post
I loved them. I used to work for PH years ago, and would make one for myself, even after they discontinued. I don't see how it was more work, but it used more product. I wish they'd bring that back!
The Portofino was my favorite. What temperature did they get cooked at? The information we have is 350F for like an hour. If I remember correctly, they took about 25 minutes. The BGE can be heated to 900F, but I'm thinking the ovens at PH were set around 500F to 550F?

Old 03-27-2019, 12:56 PM

3 posts, read 7,581 times
Hi Dogboa,
I am also trying to crack the Priazzo code. Going to skip the heat sink/pin grid but do have a question for you. What have you tried for the dough? I have a couple of recipes with cornmeal but not sure which will be the most successful.

Old 03-28-2019, 08:04 AM

1,371 posts, read 666,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosy Parker View Post
Hi Dogboa,
I am also trying to crack the Priazzo code. Going to skip the heat sink/pin grid but do have a question for you. What have you tried for the dough? I have a couple of recipes with cornmeal but not sure which will be the most successful.

Dogboa is my hubs.

This recipe makes enough for a 14" round, 2" deep pan. I divided the dough in more or less 2/3 and 1/3 pieces for the bottom and top crusts. I put a LOT of olive oil in the pan before I put in the dough to get that almost fried texture that Pizza Hut deep dish and Priazzos had back in the day.

This is an OVERNIGHT rise dough.

If you don't use a heat sink, you will have to cook at a lower temperature and a lot longer than if you do. We weren't real happy with the results of not using one the first couple of times we made so I shopped around until I found 1 for a decent price. Spray the heat sink with cooking spray before use. They are a pain to clean.

Italian Herb Mix for Priazzo Crust

2 tsp Dried Oregano
1 tsp Dried Basil
1 tsp Dried Rosemary
1 tsp Dried Thyme
1 tsp Dried Sage
2 tsp Dried Parsley (I omit because I can't stand dried parsley)

Place in a spice grinder and grind to a powder. You don't have to grind, but I feel the dough tastes better and has a better texture using the powdered spices. If you don't grind, you will need to soak the spices in 1/8 cup warm water to soften them.

Crust recipe

2 cups Corn Meal

1 cup warm water

2 packs regular dried yeast (NOT instant)
2/3 cups warm water
2 tsp Sugar

2 1/2 cups warm water
3 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1-1/2 tsp salt
6 1/2 cup All-purpose flour (divided as below) - you may need more

Place the corn meal in a small bowl with 1 cup of warm water and soak for 20 minutes. Soak the spices if needed while the corn meal is soaking.

Mix warm water, sugar and yeast in a large bowl. Let stand for about 5 minutes until very bubbly. Add the remaining ingredients, reserving about 2-1/2 cups of flour, as well as the soaked cornmeal and spice mix. Mix until smooth. Mix/knead in remaining flour until you have a smooth, elastic, but just slightly sticky dough.

Spray the inside of a 2-gallon bag (or use two 1-gallon bags and go ahead and divide your dough into 2/3 and 1/3) with cooking spray. Close the bag(s). Allow to rise for an hour, then open bag(s), punch down, reseal, and place in refrigerator overnight. Next day, remove bag(s) of dough from refrigerator, punch down as above, then allow to rise and warm up for about 45 minutes before shaping.

Last edited by Medtran49; 03-28-2019 at 08:12 AM..

Old 03-28-2019, 09:43 AM

Thank you Medtran49! I had seen this recipe online but was cautious. It seems like a lot of dough for thin crusts. But i see your pan is 14 inches so maybe that's why

I really appreciate your helpful notes and quick response! I'm more confident to give this a whirl.

Thank you!

Last edited by Nosy Parker; 03-28-2019 at 10:13 AM..

Old 03-28-2019, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Thank you Medtran49! I had seen this recipe online but was cautious. It seems like a lot of dough for thin crusts. But i see your pan is 14 inches so maybe that's why

I really appreciate your helpful notes and quick response! I'm more confident to give this a whirl.

Thank you!

You're welcome, but the Priazzo was/is not a thin crust pizza. It has to be a thick crust (at least on the bottom) simply because of all the fillings that go in it. The bottom crust needs to be about 1/2 inch thick.

Old 04-22-2019, 11:29 AM

We made a Portofino Priazzo yesterday and I have revised the recipe AGAIN! This is for one 12" Priazzo. My revision cuts down on the amount of dough, because it was way too thick on the bottom and I also cut down on the amount of the herb mixture and cornmeal in the dough. I also used a different tomato sauce because the one I found on the internet had a funky taste to it that neither of us remember the Priazzo's having.

This recipe makes enough for a 12" round, 1-1/2” to 2" deep pan. I divided the dough in more or less 3/4 and 1/4 pieces for the bottom and top crusts. I put a LOT of olive oil in the pan before I put in the dough to get that almost fried texture that Pizza Hut deep dish and Priazzos had back in the day.

This is an OVERNIGHT rise dough.

If you don't use a heat sink, you will have to cook at a lower temperature and a lot longer than if you do. We weren't real happy with the results of not using one the first couple of times we made so I shopped around until I found 1 for a decent price. Spray the heat sink with cooking spray before use. They are a pain to clean if you don’t.

Italian Herb Mix for Priazzo Crust

1/2 tsp Dried Oregano
1/4 tsp Dried Basil
1/4 tsp Dried Rosemary
1/4 tsp Dried Thyme
1/4 tsp Dried Sage

Place in a spice grinder and grind to a powder. You don't have to grind, but I feel the dough tastes better and has a better texture using the powdered spices. If you don't grind, you will need to soak the spices in 1 ounce warm water to soften them.

Crust recipe

1/2 cup Cornmeal
1/4 cup warm water

1-1/2 tsp regular dried yeast (NOT instant)
1/3 cup warm water
1 tsp Sugar

1 cup warm water
1-1/2 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp garlic powder
3/4 tsp salt
3-1/2 to 4 cups All-purpose flour (divided as below) - you may need more

Place the corn meal in a small bowl with 1/4 cup of warm water and soak for 20 minutes. Soak the spices if needed while the corn meal is soaking.

Mix warm water, sugar and yeast in a large bowl. Let stand for about 5 minutes until very bubbly. Add the remaining ingredients (reserving about 1 cup of flour) as well as the soaked cornmeal and spice mix. Mix until smooth. Mix/knead in remaining flour until you have a smooth, elastic, but just slightly sticky dough.

Spray the inside of a 2-gallon bag (or use two 1-gallon bags and go ahead and divide your dough into 3/4 and 1/4) with cooking spray. Close the bag(s). Allow to rise for an hour, then open bag(s), punch down, reseal, and place in refrigerator overnight. Next day, remove bag(s) of dough from refrigerator, punch down as above, then allow to rise and warm up for about 45 minutes before shaping.

Press, stretch, roll 2/3 of dough into a 15-16” circle. Pour about 1/4 cup olive oil into 12” pan, place dough into pan, pressing dough up the sides. Place the cheese mixture on the bottom, then the peppers, onions and sausage, top with the sauce. Roll the remaining 1/4 dough into a 12” circle, place on top, crimping the top and bottom crusts together to seal. Drizzle olive oil on top and use your fingers or a brush to spread more or less evenly. Press the heat sink into the dough. Bake at 450 for 40-50 minutes. Allow to cool for 10-15 minutes before removing from pan and cutting.

Cheese mixture

1 3/4 cups shredded Mozzarella
1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack
1/3 cup shredded Cheddar
1/2 cup shredded Provolone
1/3 cup tablespoons grated Parmesan
1/3 cup grated Romano

Mix together in a medium bowl and set aside.

Filling
1 pound Italian sausage, we use mild and spicy
1/2 large red bell pepper, coarsely chopped
1/2 large green bell pepper, coarsely chopped
1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
Olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste

In a medium skillet over medium heat with a tablespoon or so of olive oil, cook the peppers until starting to soften with some salt and pepper. Remove and set aside. Add a little more olive oil to the skillet and cook the onion, with some salt and pepper, until it starts to soften and turn translucent. Remove and set aside. If needed, add a touch more oil and cook the sausage until just sort of being done. Push the sausage to 1 side, tilt the skillet a little by placing 1 side on a folded hot mat, place some folded paper towels in the skillet on the opposite to soak up the grease. Set aside to cool.

Sauce
1 can (14 oz) diced tomatoes
1/2 cup coarsely chopped onion
3 large garlic cloves, smashed, quick chop
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/8 cup fresh basil, chopped
1/8 cup fresh oregano, chopped
1/4 cup fruity red wine
Small pinch of sugar
Pinch of red pepper flakes to your taste
Olive oil
Salt and pepper

In a small saucepan, heat 2 Tbsp olive oil over medium heat, add onion and saute until translucent, add garlic and red pepper flakes and cook for 1 minute, add remaining ingredients and stir. Bring to a simmer and cook, uncovered, until very thick. Cool slightly, then use an immersion blender or countertop blender to puree sauce. Taste and adjust seasoning.

Make double the recipe if you want extra sauce for serving.

Old 04-26-2019, 10:56 AM

Thank you for posting your photos! That looks like it was a lot of work. The dough looks thicker than what I am aiming for. Will keep looking for a cornmeal dough recipe.

Old 04-26-2019, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Thank you for posting your photos! That looks like it was a lot of work. The dough looks thicker than what I am aiming for. Will keep looking for a cornmeal dough recipe.
That would be why I REVISED the recipe as noted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes