Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2019, 01:08 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,929,380 times

Advertisements

If a recipe calls for wine like pinot noir, or vinegar like balsamic, can I substitute with any kind of wine or vinegar?

Like instead of pinot noir can I just use a red wine or a Holland House cooking white wine. If a recipe requires rice wine vinegar can I just use red wine vinegar? etc, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2019, 02:10 PM

19,432 posts, read 27,815,202 times
It's a matter of opinion and taste buds, but I'll give you my thoughts.

Never Ever use cooking wine. I don't care what brand it is - it's vile and should be banned off the face of the earth. One exception - Shaoxing wine for Chinese. The cooking wine is fine (and you can substitute with pale dry sherry).

I don't know that I've ever seen a recipe that specifically called for pinot noir, but I'd say you can substitute any merlot or other lighter red wine (read: Not cabernet or Malbec).

Rice wine vinegar is not the same as red wine vinegar AT ALL. Rice wine is widely used in Asian food, and is cheap in the grocery store. It keeps forever in the pantry. Just buy some. Be sure not to get the seasoned Rice wine. If you insist on substituting, use pale dry sherry or gin with a LITTLE sugar.

Balsamic is balsamic. It is NOT like any other vinegar. It has a unique flavor that I personally don't think can be substituted. You can buy a small bottle at a reasonable price - no need to get the super expensive stuff. In fact, the Trader Joe's brand in the square bottle is pretty darn good.

Old 06-02-2019, 02:15 PM

130,072 posts, read 12,078,224 times
I agree with JKG. However, if a recipe calls for a specific wine, I will sub it with a wine of the same color. So for the pinot noir, I would use whatever red wine was already open. but vinegars have very different flavors, so I don't normally mix those around, but I love vinegars, so I have quite a few in stock. Like was already posted, just buy a small bottle to start & see how much you use it.

Old 06-02-2019, 02:18 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,040,216 times
Yes, you can substitute for any other wine or any other vinegar, IF you are willing to accept the consequences, which will be a different taste than the recipe intended.

Balsamic vinegar has a rich, sweet taste, while white wine vinegar does not. If you are willing to sacrifice the flavor, you can use the white wine vinegar and you will still achieve the consistency.

I would only substitute with reasonably close items as jkgourmet recommends.

I also agree on the advice to stay away from cooking wine. No reason to go there. Use any inexpensive wine and you will get a better result. My goto cooking wine is Traders Joe’s Charles Shaw (aka two buck Chuck), but go all the way up to a $6 bottle of wine for cooking most things.

For some wine reduction sauces I will use a better quality wine.

Old 06-02-2019, 02:21 PM

One more thing to add to a vinegar thread: WHITE Balsamic Vinegar is WONDERFUL for salad dressings. Trader Joe's has it and a VERY reasonable price.

Old 06-02-2019, 03:10 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,354,126 times
If it's from Trader Joe's and you like it - stock up! So many times they just suddenly discontinue an item. I guess it's because they don't sell enough. But so many times it's here today, gone tomorrow!

And agree with all the above comments.

Old 06-03-2019, 05:43 AM

1,371 posts, read 666,913 times
I definitely agree with NEVER using cooking wine. We often substitute wines, but keep close to the same flavor profile. We keep the little 4-packs of wine for cooking, inexpensive and small quantities if you don't drink wine a lot. Of course, if it's a recipe that calls for a lot of wine, we'll get a big bottle or if we want to also have wine with dinner.

Vinegar, I'll substitute similarly, like white wine or rice for sherry, champagne, etc. If I happen to be out of the one called for. Don't think I'd substitute balsamic with anything else though, maybe red wine, but I wouldn't be happy about it. I often use cider or rice instead of white because I am not fond of white due to the harshness.

Old 06-03-2019, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
If it's from Trader Joe's and you like it - stock up! So many times they just suddenly discontinue an item. I guess it's because they don't sell enough. But so many times it's here today, gone tomorrow!
You're right about many products at Trader Joes. But I've been able to buy this particular balsamic for over a decade. In fact, I think I purchased some On my very first visit!

Old 06-03-2019, 09:40 AM

1,262 posts, read 664,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
If a recipe calls for wine like pinot noir, or vinegar like balsamic, can I substitute with any kind of wine or vinegar?

Like instead of pinot noir can I just use a red wine or a Holland House cooking white wine. If a recipe requires rice wine vinegar can I just use red wine vinegar? etc, etc.
I agree with all on "cooking wines" it's just vile stuff!
My opinion on vinegars, wines, etc in recipes, whenever a small amount is called for, say 1 or 2 Tablespoons, it's just to bump the overall flavor and/or acidity level. Everything has it's own flavor but in such a small quantity it's not over the top important. But most important is to substitute with ingredients you like!
If I'm making a tomato-based sauce calling for white wine, which I don't always have, I use red wine. Beer also can be used in place of wine. I agree with everybody about balsamic as it has a unique flavor profile. But most vinegars aren't really that much different in flavor. Now, sweet wines such as Madeira and marsala are another matter, as they are as unique as balsamic in flavor, and a sweet juice such as apple may work in place of them. Bottom line, if you use ingredients that you enjoy, most times you will enjoy the end product as well.

Old 06-03-2019, 09:44 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,035,584 times
Different vinegars have different flavor profiles and levels of acidity. Substituting red wine vinegar for the much sweeter and less acidic rice wine vinegar will produce very different results. Putting Chinese black vinegar on fish and chips instead of the traditional malt might not be bad but it will taste very different.

The type of wine can matter: a heavy, meaty dish like braised short ribs will benefit from a heavy, full-body wine like a big Cabernet. Something with less tanins like a Beaujolais will taste sweeter, more jammy as it reduces.

Cooking wine is garbage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes