Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2019, 03:18 PM

68,351 posts, read 54,507,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogboa View Post
Buy dry packed scallops. Be sure to pat them dry. Start with a screaming hot pan.

Yep! Rule #1!

https://www.finecooking.com/article/...s-dry-scallops
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2019, 03:23 PM

4,345 posts, read 2,247,477 times
The other tip is to not use too small a pan to crowd the scallops together.

Old 09-24-2019, 07:21 AM

2,106 posts, read 983,779 times
You can buy dry scallops but there very expensive , not too many supermarkets stock them , I’m sure the TV chefs use dry scallops .

Old 09-24-2019, 07:42 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,499,038 times
Two tips and I use this method with Shrimp which also releases a lot of water.

Drain and dry them with paper towels before cooking.

Use as high of heat as you can stand.

If that is not enough to make the liquid evaporate fairly quickly, during the cooking, drain out the excess liquid.

Old 09-24-2019, 09:23 AM

1,371 posts, read 672,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior7 View Post
You can buy dry scallops but there very expensive , not too many supermarkets stock them , I’m sure the TV chefs use dry scallops .
Not really once you figure in that with wet pack scallops you are paying for liquid that all oozes out once you defrost them and cook them, besides making it nearly impossible to get a proper sear.

Old 09-29-2019, 05:46 AM

6,624 posts, read 6,562,543 times
I thaw my scallops in a colander in the sink, then I sprinkle salt on them. The salt helps remove the water.

After they are totally thawed, I pat them dry on paper towels, replacing the paper towels each time they are soaked through. Repeat this until they are dry to the touch. Sprinkle with a wee bit of sugar before browning in a hot frying pan (in oil-butter will burn)

When browned on each side, add 2 tbsp. butter, remove immediately, and serve.

BTW- The sugar helps with the browning process.

Old 09-29-2019, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
I thaw my scallops in a colander in the sink, then I sprinkle salt on them. The salt helps remove the water.

After they are totally thawed, I pat them dry on paper towels, replacing the paper towels each time they are soaked through. Repeat this until they are dry to the touch. Sprinkle with a wee bit of sugar before browning in a hot frying pan (in oil-butter will burn)

When browned on each side, add 2 tbsp. butter, remove immediately, and serve.

BTW- The sugar helps with the browning process.
I tried that one time , the sugar burnt and stuck to my good old cast iron pan, got it cleaned off eventually , otherwise I drain and dry them too , next time I won’t be using sugar , or use non stick pan .

Old 09-29-2019, 11:35 AM

613 posts, read 947,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medtran49 View Post
Not really once you figure in that with wet pack scallops you are paying for liquid that all oozes out once you defrost them and cook them, besides making it nearly impossible to get a proper sear.
Are people mainly talking about frozen scallops here--is that what "wet" scallops are? Years ago I lived near a Whole Foods--I sometimes bought fresh scallops--I think they were $12.99/lb. I'd just saute them in olive oil--they were delicious--browned outside, but still tender. And I'm not exactly a Master Chef.

Old 09-29-2019, 02:05 PM

1,371 posts, read 672,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodyWW View Post
Are people mainly talking about frozen scallops here--is that what "wet" scallops are? Years ago I lived near a Whole Foods--I sometimes bought fresh scallops--I think they were $12.99/lb. I'd just saute them in olive oil--they were delicious--browned outside, but still tender. And I'm not exactly a Master Chef.
Wet pack scallops are treated with a chemical solution of water and sodium tripolyphosphate, which makes them retain the liquid, as well as affects taste and texture. That's why you have to get rid of the excess moisture that oozes out of them in some way and why it's nearly impossible to get a proper sear on them. Wet pack is done to preserve them longer. Dry pack scallops are just that, dry packed.

Most people can't get fresh scallops. We run across them occasionally, sometimes even still in their shells, but that's few and far between. I wish it was more often because there is such a taste difference even from dry pack.

Old 09-30-2019, 10:34 PM

Just. Google difference between wet and dry scallops , big difference in price too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes