Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2019, 05:10 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,449,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Off topic, but irresistible to answer.

It's like a whipped cream or mousse-based salad. If I remember correctly it has a small box of instant pistachio pudding, crushed pineapple, Cool Whip and diced maraschino cherries. Nuts? Red and green for the holidays.

For some reason this blend is addictive. It was very popular in the Seventies and handy for working women.

I have a similar one without the pudding that gets raves: canned sour cherries, drained, pecan pieces, crushed pineapple, Cool Whip and sweetened condensed milk.

My favorite is from my mom before people started using artificial ingredients. Finely ground cranberries, sugar, crushed pineapple and real whipped cream.

Yes, you’re right, it used pistachio pudding as a base, and depending on who made it, there would be nuts, shredded coconut, mini-marshmallows, etc. When I was a kid, it was at every potluck, birthday, shower, you name it. It’s very, very sweet, I don’t know why it’s called a salad!

It seems to have made a comeback with the whole retro-foods thing.

Thank you all for your ideas, all very helpful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2019, 08:59 PM

12,085 posts, read 8,479,970 times
Mini marshmallows. Yes, that was the other thing in Mom's cranberry salad. Chef Daughter pronounces it "tacky" but it stays nice and tangy and if the salad spends the night in the refrigerator the marshmallows tend to disappear.

All of those mousse based salads seem more like dessert to me, too. SIL used to serve one that actually had filled cookies crushed up in it.

I agree with other posters that the best Thanksgiving salad would be crunchy and on the tart side with all that soft textured, rich food.

Old 11-25-2019, 07:05 PM

32,701 posts, read 48,250,531 times
I will be doing spinach, crisp bacon, chunks of blue cheese, candied pecans, and blue cheese dressing.

Old 11-25-2019, 09:46 PM

513 posts, read 542,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Off topic, but irresistible to answer.

It's like a whipped cream or mousse-based salad. If I remember correctly it has a small box of instant pistachio pudding, crushed pineapple, Cool Whip and diced maraschino cherries. Nuts? Red and green for the holidays.

For some reason this blend is addictive. It was very popular in the Seventies and handy for working women.

I have a similar one without the pudding that gets raves: canned sour cherries, drained, pecan pieces, crushed pineapple, Cool Whip and sweetened condensed milk.

My favorite is from my mom before people started using artificial ingredients. Finely ground cranberries, sugar, crushed pineapple and real whipped cream.
My Mom used Cool Whip for a lots of things - I think she did the second one mentioned a lot. Then use the empty Cool Whip container for salad bowls after.

Old 11-26-2019, 05:36 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,329,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Festive Winter Slaw

Arrange in layers in a glass bowl or platter: bottom layer is shredded cabbage. Then add a smaller layer of shredded carrot. Over this, add a layer of chopped red apple. Then scatter chopped walnuts over all. Last, add pomegranate seeds over top of all. Dress with vinaigrette made of good olive oil and your favorite vinegar. (I like white balsamic)

This adds clear fresh tastes to a table full of flesh and starch.

You can also garnish with parsley.
That sounds absolutely refreshing.

Old 11-26-2019, 11:11 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,244,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
That sounds absolutely refreshing.
It is! I bought a savoy cabbage to use Thursday. And I found green pears and red apples too. And I deseeded the pomegranate today.

Old 11-27-2019, 07:25 AM

19,456 posts, read 27,925,506 times
I've made all of these for holiday dinners and received TONS of compliments and requests for repeats. I always replace the blue cheese with gorgonzola for its milder flavor. Add the cheese, fruit and dressing I just before serving and toss with salt and pepper.

Pear and Blue Cheese Salad with Homemade Dressing. (I often replace the pear with pink grapefruit.)

Green Salad with Dried Figs, Blue Cheese, Walnuts, and Sherry Vinaigrette

Or a composed plate of arugula, dried figs soaked in hot water to soften them, then cut in half horizontally (OMG, Fresh figs if you can find them!), a small slice of prosciutto, a small slice of burrata with the runny part dripping onto the arugula, salt, pepper and a little drizzled olive oil on the greens and burrata. I know it sounds like A PITA to make, but it's a quick plating.

Last edited by Jkgourmet; 11-27-2019 at 07:45 AM..

Old 11-27-2019, 07:33 AM

19,456 posts, read 27,925,506 times
I've made all of these for holiday dinners and received TONS of compliments and requests for repeats. I always replace the blue cheese with gorgonzola for its milder flavor.

https://www.sixsistersstuff.com/reci...-cheese-salad/ (I often use pink grapefruit instead of pear)

Old 11-27-2019, 09:15 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,244,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I've made all of these for holiday dinners and received TONS of compliments and requests for repeats. I always replace the blue cheese with gorgonzola for its milder flavor. Add the cheese, fruit and dressing I just before serving and toss with salt and pepper.

Pear and Blue Cheese Salad with Homemade Dressing. (I often replace the pear with pink grapefruit.)

Green Salad with Dried Figs, Blue Cheese, Walnuts, and Sherry Vinaigrette

Or a composed plate of arugula, dried figs soaked in hot water to soften them, then cut in half horizontally (OMG, Fresh figs if you can find them!), a small slice of prosciutto, a small slice of burrata with the runny part dripping onto the arugula, salt, pepper and a little drizzled olive oil on the greens and burrata. I know it sounds like A PITA to make, but it's a quick plating.
All sound really good! Lucky folks who eat Thanksgiving at your house.

Old 11-27-2019, 10:24 AM

11,660 posts, read 12,749,402 times
I was also going to suggest substitute spinach or cabbage for the lettuce. Great ideas everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes