Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2020, 02:28 AM

1,994 posts, read 1,266,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
You will never get the gel out. It's collagen, it comes from the bones and is the reason you use them. To me, it's the sign of a good broth. I would also have eaten the neck meat; I do when I use chicken necks. I don't know what's better, the actual soup or the necks.

The only person I knew who used bone broth regularly was Thai. She would simmer bones in the biggest pot you ever saw all day long and strain the broth and make Asian soups, which basically are a good broth with cooked noodles and other veg and herbs/seasonings added in before serving.
I'll work on getting more chicken necks, but honestly, the turkey necks I got had no real meat on them. But the gel came out good, I did add spices to the pot and the broth is great. Yes, when I heated up the gel it became like broth and I added some water to it. It was very good, I am happy to say. I will be using it more often. Now the next question. Can I freeze it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2020, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
The gel is what you want. When you heat it it will liquify. You can certainly make soup with it, or use it to cook beans or rice. That is what I did today, as a matter if fact. I used frozen chicken broth to cook my Palouse grown garbanzo beans. My goodness, they were good.

When you get the jelled stuff, you have liquid gold. I bought turkey necks myself, to make turkey broth. I have made it in the slow cooker, and it was wonderful. Now, I use an Instant Pot, and get the good stuff faster.

Use your broth to make vegetable or bean soup. Discard the necks and any bits of flesh clinging to them.
I can imagine that the beans tasted good when using the broth. I'm going to do the bone broth more often. So glad I tried and you guys helped me through it. :-)

Old 12-23-2020, 02:36 AM

Quote:
I know you use a ham bone as the base for pea soup. I had a friend who would ask the deli counter man to save her the bone from the big hams. She would boil it just for a base broth with nothing added, but ham is salty.

Beef bones you could boil with 1/8 teaspoon of vinegar (supposed to help pull all the bone goodness out of the bones) and not another thing but salt to taste when it's cooked down. You can cook a big bone all day and let the broth condense until you're happy with the flavor. Let it cook down before salting or you'll be sorry.
My mother used the entire turkey carcass from the Thanksgiving turkey to make turkey bone broth.
Thanks for suggestion about adding vinegar. Sounds good. I'm wondering about a ready-made chicken, if I buy it already roasted, are the bones still good to cook up for broth? (I usually buy the Walmart chicken roasted, I like it better than the Sam's Club chicken, when I'm hungry it's hard to pass by, but I wonder if I can use the bones after I eat the chicken to make broth. I mean do you think it would it have the nutrients that would be there if I started cooking the bones from a raw state.)

Old 12-23-2020, 09:09 AM

6,168 posts, read 4,550,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindi Waters View Post
Thanks for suggestion about adding vinegar. Sounds good. I'm wondering about a ready-made chicken, if I buy it already roasted, are the bones still good to cook up for broth? (I usually buy the Walmart chicken roasted, I like it better than the Sam's Club chicken, when I'm hungry it's hard to pass by, but I wonder if I can use the bones after I eat the chicken to make broth. I mean do you think it would it have the nutrients that would be there if I started cooking the bones from a raw state.)
I haven't done it, but I guess if you can use cooked beef/pork bones and turkey carcasses, then why not rotisserie chicken? I do know that it has some additives, you can read them on the label, so it won't be as organic as it could be. But if that's not a concern, then go for it. I don't know for sure, but it seems some of the nutrients and other bone qualities would be less the second time around. If you stew or roast a chicken, you can taste the difference between bone-in and boneless, so some of that flavor has been used.

Old 12-23-2020, 12:54 PM

130,670 posts, read 12,177,441 times
I have used cooked chicken bones to make broth. I add bay leaf, carrots, celery & onion to the broth. Tastes good. I can't answer about the nutrients as I was doing it for good flavor for home made dishes, & to be economical ( boxed chicken broth is way to expensive for flavored water) Go for it.

Old 12-23-2020, 01:56 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,224,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindi Waters View Post
I'll work on getting more chicken necks, but honestly, the turkey necks I got had no real meat on them. But the gel came out good, I did add spices to the pot and the broth is great. Yes, when I heated up the gel it became like broth and I added some water to it. It was very good, I am happy to say. I will be using it more often. Now the next question. Can I freeze it?
Yes. I freeze mine all the time. Put into freezer containers, lid it, and let it sit out to cool before freezing. The fat will rise to the top, sealing the broth. When the broth has cooled freeze it. Later after thawing, you will be able to pick the solidified fat off the top of the broth, before heating it.

Old 12-24-2020, 02:33 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,771,127 times
I know I'm a weirdo but the thought of "bone broth" sickens me!

Old 12-24-2020, 09:01 PM

Quote:
I haven't done it, but I guess if you can use cooked beef/pork bones and turkey carcasses, then why not rotisserie chicken? I do know that it has some additives, you can read them on the label, so it won't be as organic as it could be. But if that's not a concern, then go for it. I don't know for sure, but it seems some of the nutrients and other bone qualities would be less the second time around. If you stew or roast a chicken, you can taste the difference between bone-in and boneless, so some of that flavor has been used.
I'm not so worried about the additives (I actually love Walmart's roast chicken), but rather wondering if I will get the nutrients from the marrow if it's already been cooked. I'll take your word on the difference between bone-in and boneless. Another nice endeavor for me to look forward to. :-)

Old 12-24-2020, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
I know I'm a weirdo but the thought of "bone broth" sickens me!
OK, that's your choice. It doesn't sicken me at all. So since it's such a bad thought for you, I guess you have a problem eating chicken soup?

Old 12-24-2020, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Yes. I freeze mine all the time. Put into freezer containers, lid it, and let it sit out to cool before freezing. The fat will rise to the top, sealing the broth. When the broth has cooled freeze it. Later after thawing, you will be able to pick the solidified fat off the top of the broth, before heating it.
Sounds good, thanks. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes