Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2020, 09:07 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,262,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
I have used cooked chicken bones to make broth. I add bay leaf, carrots, celery & onion to the broth. Tastes good. I can't answer about the nutrients as I was doing it for good flavor for home made dishes, & to be economical ( boxed chicken broth is way to expensive for flavored water) Go for it.
Oh boy, that sounds like a winner. :-) I saw boxed bone broth in the store today and thought that my homemade broth tastes so much better. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2020, 10:23 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,053,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindi Waters View Post

...... Now the next question. Can I freeze it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Yes. I freeze mine all the time. Put into freezer containers, lid it, and let it sit out to cool before freezing. The fat will rise to the top, sealing the broth. When the broth has cooled freeze it. Later after thawing, you will be able to pick the solidified fat off the top of the broth, before heating it.
I freeze it for making into future soups. I also freeze it in ice cube trays and once the cubes are frozen I pop them out of the trays and put them all together in a ziploc bag or other container and store in the freezer. Very convenient to use that way any time when I want to make myself a single cup of instant high protein, high collagen energy boosting hot broth to drink.

When you need it just drop 3 or 4 ice cubes into a cup and add very hot or boiling water to fill the cup the rest of the way to the top. The cubes will melt quickly. Stir and drink it all down while it's still quite hot, don't allow it to cool down so the fat in it won't start to congeal. Any residual fat in it is good for you too. So is the fat and gelatin in bone marrow. It's all good for boosting your energy levels, immune system, strengthens bones, joints, muscles, nails, hair, skin.

Last edited by Zoisite; 12-24-2020 at 10:54 PM..

Old 12-24-2020, 10:36 PM

13,080 posts, read 7,523,914 times
Bone broths is what I eat 3x plus/week. Throw in some rice, bread, or potato pieces, add vegetables, and a little meat for healthy, low carb meal. You can lose a lot of weight on this diet and still get flavor and variety. I sometimes add some bran for additional bulk and staying power in the stomach.

Old 12-25-2020, 07:31 AM

24,597 posts, read 10,909,474 times
Clarify your broth with egg white.

Old 12-25-2020, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I freeze it for making into future soups. I also freeze it in ice cube trays and once the cubes are frozen I pop them out of the trays and put them all together in a ziploc bag or other container and store in the freezer. Very convenient to use that way any time when I want to make myself a single cup of instant high protein, high collagen energy boosting hot broth to drink.

When you need it just drop 3 or 4 ice cubes into a cup and add very hot or boiling water to fill the cup the rest of the way to the top. The cubes will melt quickly. Stir and drink it all down while it's still quite hot, don't allow it to cool down so the fat in it won't start to congeal. Any residual fat in it is good for you too. So is the fat and gelatin in bone marrow. It's all good for boosting your energy levels, immune system, strengthens bones, joints, muscles, nails, hair, skin.

Great! Good and thorough explanation. I'll be making more bone broth asap. Thanks!

Old 12-25-2020, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
?

Old 12-25-2020, 03:23 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,752,781 times
Quote:
OK, that's your choice. It doesn't sicken me at all. So since it's such a bad thought for you, I guess you have a problem eating chicken soup?
I'm okay as long as they don't call it "bone broth".

Old 12-25-2020, 05:36 PM

433 posts, read 532,994 times
Quote:
Thanks for suggestion about adding vinegar. Sounds good. I'm wondering about a ready-made chicken, if I buy it already roasted, are the bones still good to cook up for broth? (I usually buy the Walmart chicken roasted, I like it better than the Sam's Club chicken, when I'm hungry it's hard to pass by, but I wonder if I can use the bones after I eat the chicken to make broth. I mean do you think it would it have the nutrients that would be there if I started cooking the bones from a raw state.)
I buy the Sam's Club chickens and pull off the meatier portions. The carcass goes into my pressure cooker with 4 cups of water and I cook that for 10 minutes. After cooling for about 5 minutes, I pour the liquid into containers and repeat the process for a "second press." After the second batch cools enough to handle, I pull any meat, soft bones, etc., out and freeze them on a tray. I freeze the broth and when thawed, I put it into soups, gravies, and so forth (along with some of the bits and pieces.)
Regarding the reluctance to eat the bones, you need to remember that sardines in the can probably have the bones in. In Japan there is a dish called Kobumaki that takes strips of salmon, wrapped with kelp (seaweed) and then cooked for a long while. The bones can be left in while being cooked as they become quite tender and are a source of calcium.
https://www.thespruceeats.com/quick-...recipe-2031441

Old 12-25-2020, 06:05 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,053,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Quote:
?
It's a method used for clearing cloudy broth so you can see through it. The egg white helps collect up really tiny, fine particles of food, fat or other ingredients in the broth that are too small to be filtered out of the broth using more common straining methods. It's not really essential unless you want to have the broth be as clear as possible.

Here's an explanation about how to clear stocks and broths using egg white:
https://www.bhg.com/recipes/how-to/c...clarify-stock/

Old 12-25-2020, 06:35 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,062,612 times
I grab a chicken whenever I head to Costco, generally the carcass goes in a pot to make broth. I don't get the great gel of bone broth out of it but I shred what is left of the meat, add some veggies and then freeze it in containers. If I want noodles I add those when I reheat so they don't get mushy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes