Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2022, 02:59 PM

23,597 posts, read 70,412,676 times

Advertisements

I have read a bunch of books, watched a bunch of cooking shows, made my share of mistakes with breads and pizza, and considered myself beginning semi-competent until a few days ago. I am now back in youtube grade school and in shock at how much I didn't know and and how much misinformation is out there.

There is a Brit youtube channel and associated website called "The Chain Baker." The baker is someone I would probably dislike in real life, but I have rarely seen a better teacher more devoted to the subject. When explaining basics, he not only talks the talk but creates empirical experiments that prove his point.

Some of those experiments are eye opening, to say the least. He commonly mixes yeast, salt, and water, and then adds flour. When challenged about the salt killing the yeast he proved beyond the shadow of a doubt that in the quantities used it does no such thing.

My wife collected a bunch of breadmaking books, but was always experimenting and trying to tweak recipes. I think after watching this guy she would have thrown out most of those books as rubbish. I am enjoying tossing out my own preconceptions, even as I recognize that the science of baking is a lot harder than craft recipes would have us think.

I'll leave it to you to do the search on youtube. I have no connection with the guy other than being slightly awestruck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2022, 04:49 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,260,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
I have read a bunch of books, watched a bunch of cooking shows, made my share of mistakes with breads and pizza, and considered myself beginning semi-competent until a few days ago. I am now back in youtube grade school and in shock at how much I didn't know and and how much misinformation is out there.

There is a Brit youtube channel and associated website called "The Chain Baker." The baker is someone I would probably dislike in real life, but I have rarely seen a better teacher more devoted to the subject. When explaining basics, he not only talks the talk but creates empirical experiments that prove his point.

Some of those experiments are eye opening, to say the least. He commonly mixes yeast, salt, and water, and then adds flour. When challenged about the salt killing the yeast he proved beyond the shadow of a doubt that in the quantities used it does no such thing.

My wife collected a bunch of breadmaking books, but was always experimenting and trying to tweak recipes. I think after watching this guy she would have thrown out most of those books as rubbish. I am enjoying tossing out my own preconceptions, even as I recognize that the science of baking is a lot harder than craft recipes would have us think.

I'll leave it to you to do the search on youtube. I have no connection with the guy other than being slightly awestruck.
I haven’t seriously watched Youtube breadmaking. I started trying to make sourdough about 7 years ago and tried lots of methods I read about. Most of my loaves were tasty bricks. I finally found a recipe for Vermont sour dough and its pretty reliable. Since it seems to always give a good result I stick with it. I do ocasionally bake focaccia with yeast and it is the easiest bread for me, it always works.

Old 07-17-2022, 05:14 PM

23,597 posts, read 70,412,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
I haven’t seriously watched Youtube breadmaking. I started trying to make sourdough about 7 years ago and tried lots of methods I read about. Most of my loaves were tasty bricks. I finally found a recipe for Vermont sour dough and its pretty reliable. Since it seems to always give a good result I stick with it. I do ocasionally bake focaccia with yeast and it is the easiest bread for me, it always works.
Regrettably, the sourdough cultures I've tried do not agree with my system. Even store-bought sourdough bread or rolls are a problem. I am sensitive to yeasts and molds, and feel fortunate that I can at least use commercial yeast.

Old 07-17-2022, 05:29 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,260,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Regrettably, the sourdough cultures I've tried do not agree with my system. Even store-bought sourdough bread or rolls are a problem. I am sensitive to yeasts and molds, and feel fortunate that I can at least use commercial yeast.
I’ve been using this one for 7 years.

Carl Griffith 1847 Oregon Trail Sourdough Page
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes