Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2022, 09:06 AM

10,889 posts, read 7,382,548 times

Advertisements

"Chili Powder" is a mix of herbs and spices ground and mixed together for your convenience, just like "Curry Powder" is a (somewhat different) mix of herbs and spices. I don't think most Hispanic (or Indian) cooks would use these mixes, preferring to create their own combination and probably grinding it themselves.

Different brands will have slightly different proportions of spices, too. Most labels list the ingredients in the order of amount used, so if it says "ground chilies, cumin, garlic", there is more chili and less garlic than cumin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2022, 09:16 AM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
My understanding is "chili" can refer to a hot pepper, or the Mexican meat stew dish. “Chili powder" thus also has two meanings: the grounded form of the hot pepper, or a mixture of spices including the hot pepper, cumin, garlic powder, among other things, used in the stew.

So if a recipe calls for chili powder, what is it referring to?
I think it's a given that when a recipe calls for chili powder, by default it would be the mixture commonly known by that term.

Old 10-17-2022, 09:17 AM

41,958 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Chili powder is a mix of spices, including chile, garlic, cumin, etc.

Ground chile is a powder of a single variety only of chile pepper.

Old 10-17-2022, 10:09 AM

743 posts, read 875,977 times
Here in the desert southwest, chili powder is ground chili peppers. To avoid confusion, just look at the package or bottle and see what the ingredients are. When I cook with chili powder, I use the chili's I like. Sometimes I will use Hatch chili powder, or maybe ancho or guajillo powder. I just purchased a tub of Hatch red chili powder from Santa Cruz chili and spice company down here in Southern AZ. The tub reads "Pure Anaheim Chili Powder made with delicious Hatch chilies. No additional flavors or spices to compromise the pure chili flavor. Certified Gluten Free.
We discovered the perfect method of processing the red mature chili pepper into a rich chili powder."

https://santacruzchili.com/

Old 10-17-2022, 10:12 AM

41,958 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGS4EVER View Post
Here in the desert southwest, chili powder is ground chili peppers. To avoid confusion, just look at the package or bottle and see what the ingredients are. When I cook with chili powder, I use the chili's I like. Sometimes I will use Hatch chili powder, or maybe ancho or guajillo powder. I just purchased a tub of Hatch red chili powder from Santa Cruz chili and spice company down here in Southern AZ. The tub reads "Pure Anaheim Chili Powder made with delicious Hatch chilies. No additional flavors or spices to compromise the pure chili flavor. Certified Gluten Free.
We discovered the perfect method of processing the red mature chili pepper into a rich chili powder."

https://santacruzchili.com/
Hatch chiles are the best. And thanks for the link! I've been buying Hatch powder from a place in Santa Fe, but I love to spread the wealth.

Old 10-17-2022, 11:01 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,618,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
You can buy bags of chili powder in the store, where they have all the ones in bags like a bag of bay leaves. Normally around $1. They are ususally not near the jars of herbs/spices
Where I live spices and herbs aren't sold in bags. They come in bottles or containers.

Old 10-17-2022, 11:09 AM

32,638 posts, read 48,015,234 times
Usually if a recipe wants pure ground chilies, it will call for the type of chili pepper and then put "ground" after it. Like the recipe will call for dried pasilla pepper, ground. Or dried guajillo peppers, ground.

If the recipe calls for "chili powder" it means the spice blend that is mostly ground chilies and cumin.

Old 10-17-2022, 11:35 AM

32,638 posts, read 48,015,234 times
I'm going to a add this: it is getting more and more difficult to find a good chili powder, so mostly I make my own blend. Brands I used to buy have gradually switched to cheaper peppers and then removed some peppers and replaced with salt, and the good flavor is no longer there.

Good chilies are expensive and getting harder to find and the spice companies don't want to pay for the high quality chilies to put into their blends.

Old 10-17-2022, 12:03 PM

37,607 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
My understanding is "chili" can refer to a hot pepper, or the Mexican meat stew dish. “Chili powder" thus also has two meanings: the grounded form of the hot pepper, or a mixture of spices including the hot pepper, cumin, garlic powder, among other things, used in the stew.

So if a recipe calls for chili powder, what is it referring to?
Any of these.
Attached Thumbnails
When a recipe calls for "chili powder", what is it?-capture.jpg  

Old 10-17-2022, 04:25 PM

1,651 posts, read 1,302,471 times
In my pantry I have 3 bottles of cayenne powder, and one bottle of paprika powder. I DON"T have "ground chile" nor "chili seasoning/powder".

I also have tons of cumin powder and garlic powder.

So, with what I have and don't have, can I still cook beef chili tonight? I heard cayenne is 8 times hotter than "ground chile"... our family is not into hot food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes