Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2023, 12:36 PM

23,591 posts, read 70,374,939 times

Advertisements

With the popularity of air fryers, youtubers and others looking for revenue are posting recipes for air fryers that may technically work, but are not always safe.

What brought this to my attention was an "easy" recipe for air fryer donuts. The recipe itself creates a fairly standard risen dough that has both egg and flour. So far, so good.

HOWEVER... when you have a yeast dough that requires a rise time of a couple of hours, that egg (with possible salmonella) is sitting in an environment where not only yeast can reproduce quickly. Couple that with the facts that some states are experiencing salmonella cases from flour, and the dough MUST be thoroughly cooked to be safe.

Here is where youtubers with no food safety training fail - Fried foods cooked in a deep fat fryer or even a pot on the stove have a mass of oil at above 300 degrees F, and convection currents that keep the oil moving. The dance needed to get the interior of a donut cooked while not turning the sugar in the crust to carbon requires a 350 degree heat and just three minutes in the oil. In air fryers, almost all manufacturers suggest flipping food or shaking the basket to get a more even cook. That is difficult to do with a doughy donut that is only half cooked, so the youtuber simply instructed to leave the donut in the fryer for 3 minutes. WRONG!!!

While the top of any product might look photogenic, the time needed for the heat to penetrate and cook, especially the bottom, is insufficient for food safety. You cannot simply take a deep fry time and make it the time needed in an air fryer.

While most folks know that meats need to have a certain internal temperature to be safely cooked, little thought is given to other dishes or pastries. Approach online air fryer recipes with caution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2023, 12:45 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,271,982 times
I have one of the oven shaped air fryers that can double as an oven, toaster, or grill.

My big issue is that, even for lean meats, the meat can start smoking from the fat/grease before the meat is done. I'll often open the door, let the smoke out, and do this a couple more times until it's done.

Old 04-05-2023, 05:42 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,769,264 times
So... wouldn't it make more sense to just use your toaster oven or regular oven?

Old 04-05-2023, 05:59 PM

24,488 posts, read 10,825,052 times
We use our multi-use air fryer daily and several friends bought the same one. No problems with wings, breaded chicken, ... . OP may want to review the settings he is using.

Old 04-05-2023, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
We use our multi-use air fryer daily and several friends bought the same one. No problems with wings, breaded chicken, ... . OP may want to review the settings he is using.
Did you even bother to read the OP???

It isn't a question of "settings." I wrote about a food safety concern that is completely separate from the air fryer being used. A recipe that does not take into account the variety of equipment being used is flawed.

I am happy you have no problem with various meats - which is NOT what I warned about.

Baking (which is what is being done in an air fryer / convection oven) is not the same as deep fat frying.

I let a lot of things pass because people do things differently, concerns may be different, and sometimes things are misinterpreted. Food safety is not something I'm going to allow to be dismissed with such a casual comment. Please re-read the post.

Old 04-06-2023, 01:11 AM

115 posts, read 103,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
With the popularity of air fryers, youtubers and others looking for revenue are posting recipes for air fryers that may technically work, but are not always safe.

What brought this to my attention was an "easy" recipe for air fryer donuts. The recipe itself creates a fairly standard risen dough that has both egg and flour. So far, so good.

HOWEVER... when you have a yeast dough that requires a rise time of a couple of hours, that egg (with possible salmonella) is sitting in an environment where not only yeast can reproduce quickly. Couple that with the facts that some states are experiencing salmonella cases from flour, and the dough MUST be thoroughly cooked to be safe.

Here is where youtubers with no food safety training fail - Fried foods cooked in a deep fat fryer or even a pot on the stove have a mass of oil at above 300 degrees F, and convection currents that keep the oil moving. The dance needed to get the interior of a donut cooked while not turning the sugar in the crust to carbon requires a 350 degree heat and just three minutes in the oil. In air fryers, almost all manufacturers suggest flipping food or shaking the basket to get a more even cook. That is difficult to do with a doughy donut that is only half cooked, so the youtuber simply instructed to leave the donut in the fryer for 3 minutes. WRONG!!!

While the top of any product might look photogenic, the time needed for the heat to penetrate and cook, especially the bottom, is insufficient for food safety. You cannot simply take a deep fry time and make it the time needed in an air fryer.

While most folks know that meats need to have a certain internal temperature to be safely cooked, little thought is given to other dishes or pastries. Approach online air fryer recipes with caution.
I have been thinking about getting a multifunctional air fryer (air fryer, convection oven and toaster oven) Either a Emeril, Oster, or Nija.

I was wondering what can / can't be cooked in an air fryer? Does an air fryer change the texture of the food, you know like make it kind of rubbery? Does it cook evenly? Can it cook frozen food? Like frozen pizza, tv dinners and such? Is it easy to clean?

Old 04-06-2023, 09:42 AM

10,890 posts, read 7,376,511 times
An air fryer is a mini convection oven; it has a fan that moves the air inside the oven, for faster, more even cooking.

Aside from that, it's just like a regular oven, not a microwave or deep fryer.

Old 04-06-2023, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three20nine View Post
I have been thinking about getting a multifunctional air fryer (air fryer, convection oven and toaster oven) Either a Emeril, Oster, or Nija.

I was wondering what can / can't be cooked in an air fryer? Does an air fryer change the texture of the food, you know like make it kind of rubbery? Does it cook evenly? Can it cook frozen food? Like frozen pizza, tv dinners and such? Is it easy to clean?
I have one of those multifunction air fryers sitting in a spare room. It was a counter hog. It also was much slower than the toaster oven that it replaced. I switched to a smaller tub type air fryer which has generally been more satisfactory.

Old 04-06-2023, 10:49 AM

4,511 posts, read 2,660,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post

The real difference here is the rate of heat transfer. Heat transfer by conduction from hot oil is many times greater than by conduction from hot air. There are going to be some things that just will NOT cook the same (or even close enough) in a convection oven, that will still need to be deep fat fried or boiled. So you can stick something into a 350F "air fryer" (=convection oven) and it's going to cook a lot more slowly than the same thing dunked in 350F hot oil. That's basic physics. The problem is that leaving the exterior surface of the object exposed to 350F hot air for a longer time in order to get the center cooked, is likely to make it more browned or burnt.

Amazingly enough, there are good reasons why certain cooking techniques have become the standard over the preceding centuries. We don't deep fry Angel Food cakes; we don't bake doughnuts.

Old 04-06-2023, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
The real difference here is the rate of heat transfer. Heat transfer by conduction from hot oil is many times greater than by conduction from hot air. There are going to be some things that just will NOT cook the same (or even close enough) in a convection oven, that will still need to be deep fat fried or boiled. So you can stick something into a 350F "air fryer" (=convection oven) and it's going to cook a lot more slowly than the same thing dunked in 350F hot oil. That's basic physics. The problem is that leaving the exterior surface of the object exposed to 350F hot air for a longer time in order to get the center cooked, is likely to make it more browned or burnt.

Amazingly enough, there are good reasons why certain cooking techniques have become the standard over the preceding centuries. We don't deep fry Angel Food cakes; we don't bake doughnuts.
Precisely. Tried to rep you, but need to spread more rep points first.

I am in process of looking at various ways to quickly get an impervious "skin" formed on foods that are deep fried. Minimize oil absorption and some of the advantages of air fryers melt away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes