Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 06:31 AM

48,115 posts, read 21,994,714 times

Advertisements

I went to a get-together at a friends house yesterday.....burgers and salads and delicious brownies for desert. I made a big pot of "Polish beans" to take along to add to the meal.

Polish Beans are an old favorite of mine and I used to make them whenever I was going to a pot luck. It had been so long that I wanted to refresh my mind and googled "Polish Beans"; I was surprised at the number of references that came up and I was delighted that one came up that was credited to a little Polish meat-market in Laconia NH (Walter's Market) where I used to get them before I figured out my own recipe. It was just a little different...but probably even better.

I incorporated the original Walter's Market, Polish Bean recipe, with my own and it was a big hit and as always garnered requests for the recipe. Before I commit it to writing let me add that I never follow a recipe exactly and this recipe is very forgiving and open for interpretation and variation.

POLISH BEANS

Ingredients:
1/2 lb. kielbasa sliced
1 lb ground beef
6 slices of bacon...diced
1 onion chopped (about a cup)
tall can of kidney beans rinsed and drained
tall can of pork and beans (like Campbell's but store brand is fine)
tall can of old fashion baked beans.....like B&M or Bush Beans or store brand...the ones with molasses
1or2 cans of butter beans, rinsed and drained. I find these with the canned vegetables not with the baked beans; note bene.....the butter beans are essential to the recipe....

(I have also used great northern beans, black beans, even garbanzo beans....lol and of course dark red and light red kidney beans either or both are fine).

Cup of Ketchup
Cup of real Maple syrup (not pancake syrup)*
1 teaspoon of dry mustard (+/-)
apple cider vinegar....about a Tablespoon (I am sure white vinegar would be just fine....cider vinegar just reminds me of NH and Maine)

*Note: I just learned that Walter's used real maple syrup and it adds a special taste....in my own version I used to use 3/4 cup of Brown sugar and a Tablespoon of molasses for the sweetener...plus the ketchup, mustard and vinegar to taste)

Directions:

Fry the bacon till crisp and remove,
brown the kielbasa and remove
Fry the grd beef and onion and drain and remove

Mix up the syrup and ketchup, mustard, vinegar, S&P

Mix up the beans and meats and sauce in your slow cooker or a dutch oven and cook on low for at least 2 or 3 hours.....it just keeps getting better and better. And if there are any left-overs they are even better the next day. I sometimes add a little more vinegar if it seems too sweet as it cooks.

This is addictive; I never said it is good for you; I do say almost everyone will love it and want your recipe.

Last edited by elston; 10-27-2013 at 07:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2013, 08:22 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,257,904 times
I can vouch for these; ELston brought them to a gathering at our house yesterday and there were barely enough leftovers for us to savor today! THey were the first things hubby mentioned this morning. Guess I'll be making some in the very near future.

Old 06-19-2014, 01:23 PM

352 posts, read 796,584 times
This recipe for Polish beans is very similar to a recipe in this region (MD.,VA.,WV.,and PA.).."ours" is called Calico beans. This has a few different ingredients but, is basically the same idea ....a savory , crock pot cooked,and very tasty side dish.

It is actually suitable as a main dish for a family meal ..a salad and some crusty bread go very nicely.

Old 05-08-2018, 10:30 AM

1 posts, read 5,551 times
Having grown up in the Lakes Region ourselves, my husband and I also enjoyed Walter’s Market Polish Beans and continue to make them. No more snow for us either in AZ.

Old 05-08-2018, 11:04 AM

61,658 posts, read 87,023,434 times
I am Polish, and never heard of this recipe, nor ate anything like that. Must be an Americanized version...
Closest to that would be Breton Beans:
Breton Beans (Fasolka po Bretonsku)
Not really Polish, but quite popular in Poland. Actually, I cooked it just two weaks ago.
We don't use ketchup for cooking, nor make the beans sweet with molase.
Click on the link for recipe (in English)

Old 05-08-2018, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I am Polish, and never heard of this recipe, nor ate anything like that. Must be an Americanized version...
Closest to that would be Breton Beans:
Breton Beans (Fasolka po Bretonsku)
Not really Polish, but quite popular in Poland. Actually, I cooked it just two weaks ago.
We don't use ketchup for cooking, nor make the beans sweet with molase.
Click on the link for recipe (in English)

This is probably how the version of "Polish Beans" that I make started out...and then was Americanized with the sweeteners. Just like Chinese food in China doesnt have chop suey or chow mein or most of the menu in American Chinese restaurants.

Old 05-08-2018, 08:29 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,494,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
This is probably how the version of "Polish Beans" that I make started out...and then was Americanized with the sweeteners. Just like Chinese food in China doesnt have chop suey or chow mein or most of the menu in American Chinese restaurants.
I agree, and it was likely also crossed with the already popular, ever sweet American "baked" beans, which are usually bubbled on the stove-top.

I've never come across "Polish Beans" in Texas or California, but they sound delicious, although I'm generally more inclined to recipes that start with dried beans.

Old 05-08-2018, 08:49 PM

61,658 posts, read 87,023,434 times
The proper (Polish way) would be to start with dry beans (see the recipe in a link I posted).
People try to use some shortcuts, but the results are not the same.
Soaking dry beans is really not a problem - put in a pot, and pour warm water over them. Some would be soaked and ready to cook in an hour or two, some could be soaked overnight. I cook them in the same water...
However, if you’re bothered by “undesirable side effects” when you eat beans or have digestion problems (it doesn't affect me) you should drain and rinse them, and cook using fresh water.

Old 05-09-2018, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
The proper (Polish way) would be to start with dry beans (see the recipe in a link I posted).
People try to use some shortcuts, but the results are not the same.
Soaking dry beans is really not a problem - put in a pot, and pour warm water over them. Some would be soaked and ready to cook in an hour or two, some could be soaked overnight. I cook them in the same water...
However, if you’re bothered by “undesirable side effects” when you eat beans or have digestion problems (it doesn't affect me) you should drain and rinse them, and cook using fresh water.
I have been told that if you are going to drain the beans after soaking (I do); drain them into a container and put that water on your garden..or to water houseplants..it is fortified with starches and sugars that are immediately available to your plants. (no salt in the first soak). You don't need miracle grow if you regularly soak beans.....and the plants won't have any side effects from the bean water.

Old 05-11-2018, 03:52 PM

2,481 posts, read 2,233,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I went to a get-together at a friends house yesterday.....burgers and salads and delicious brownies for desert. I made a big pot of "Polish beans" to take along to add to the meal.

Polish Beans are an old favorite of mine and I used to make them whenever I was going to a pot luck. It had been so long that I wanted to refresh my mind and googled "Polish Beans"; I was surprised at the number of references that came up and I was delighted that one came up that was credited to a little Polish meat-market in Laconia NH (Walter's Market) where I used to get them before I figured out my own recipe. It was just a little different...but probably even better.

I incorporated the original Walter's Market, Polish Bean recipe, with my own and it was a big hit and as always garnered requests for the recipe. Before I commit it to writing let me add that I never follow a recipe exactly and this recipe is very forgiving and open for interpretation and variation.

POLISH BEANS

Ingredients:
1/2 lb. kielbasa sliced
1 lb ground beef
6 slices of bacon...diced
1 onion chopped (about a cup)
tall can of kidney beans rinsed and drained
tall can of pork and beans (like Campbell's but store brand is fine)
tall can of old fashion baked beans.....like B&M or Bush Beans or store brand...the ones with molasses
1or2 cans of butter beans, rinsed and drained. I find these with the canned vegetables not with the baked beans; note bene.....the butter beans are essential to the recipe....

(I have also used great northern beans, black beans, even garbanzo beans....lol and of course dark red and light red kidney beans either or both are fine).

Cup of Ketchup
Cup of real Maple syrup (not pancake syrup)*
1 teaspoon of dry mustard (+/-)
apple cider vinegar....about a Tablespoon (I am sure white vinegar would be just fine....cider vinegar just reminds me of NH and Maine)

*Note: I just learned that Walter's used real maple syrup and it adds a special taste....in my own version I used to use 3/4 cup of Brown sugar and a Tablespoon of molasses for the sweetener...plus the ketchup, mustard and vinegar to taste)

Directions:

Fry the bacon till crisp and remove,
brown the kielbasa and remove
Fry the grd beef and onion and drain and remove

Mix up the syrup and ketchup, mustard, vinegar, S&P

Mix up the beans and meats and sauce in your slow cooker or a dutch oven and cook on low for at least 2 or 3 hours.....it just keeps getting better and better. And if there are any left-overs they are even better the next day. I sometimes add a little more vinegar if it seems too sweet as it cooks.

This is addictive; I never said it is good for you; I do say almost everyone will love it and want your recipe.
Dziekuje, only had them once at a Polish -American War Vets Club in the 1980s
loved them..Will definitely try to make them.

This is more of a second generation Polish food rather than traditional Old Country food right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes